Coolant loss! what to do?

Hello

On a drive the other day the coolant level warning light came on suddenly.  We pulled over and checked the level and it was well below minimum.  I checked for leaks and took the oil cap off to check for white "emulsion" but nothing on either front.  As we were away from the house I used neat water to top it up to minimum and carried on.  I checked the level after that drive and another subsequent drive and found no further loss.  My understanding is that is is a sealed system so shouldn't lose any coolant.  Indeed when checked just a few months ago it was on the max line so something has happened.

So what do you think could have caused it and what do i do now?  I topped it up to min with neat water but now i am worried about not having enough anti-freeze in the system.  Should i put some neat anti-freeze in to counter the 4-500ml of neat water i put in?

FYI this is a 2014 Diesel 105bhp with about 37k on the clock.

Thanks in advance.  I really want to keep good care of my lovely Fabs but this was worrying.

Hi one thing to note is your fan working? this can cause the engine to slightly overheat and it will throw out coolant easiest way to check, find the fan and see if you can rotate blades if not free running the fan could have blown the fuse due to being seized

If it turns ok park car and run engine at 2000rpm until fan cuts in (it could take 20mins or more) if it cuts in then the problem might have been an air-lock if it doesn't and it starts to overheat shut off and the fan sensor might be at fault

If you need to check anti freeze strength Halfords sell a tester for about £4, if you need to top up you can suck out liquid with an old bike pump and put neat anti freeze back in just be careful to use the correct Skoda  anti-freeze as it does not mix with normal ones

Thanks to both of you.  Let's hope it is the air trapping thing but i will do as you say Murdockman and see if i can spin the fan.

Interesting on the anti-freeze type.  I am really worried that when i was last home my dad got a bit over zealous and may have topped up my coolant with any old stuff he had lying around.  Do you think that if he did this then it may have caused the issue?  There is no guarantee he did do this but i have my suspicions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, just thought i'd post an update in case anyone comes across this via a search.

I took it to the Skoda garage and they said it was leaking and required a new water pump.  They did this under warranty in one day and so I am happy with the outcome.  If yours is doing the same and is within warranty i recommend you take it in and get it looked at as it seems to happen a little bit with Fabias.

• Like 1