Armrest

Vrsboi

Hi

I was thinking on installing an armrest on my mk2 greenline estate, i have called the dealer and they want £149.99 to get a new armrest and to fit it for me. There is no way I am paying that much, i scrolled through ebay to find that there are some aftermarkets that look like genuines for the price of £30-£50

Has anyone fitted one of them, is the quality good and how hard are they to fit?

Thanks

Edited by greenineboss
Misspelled

Definitely gets in the way of the Handbrake, don't have issue with gears personally. I only use mine on longer journeys, motorways etc, leave it up and out of the way around town.

£145 is actually a good price if it includes fitting. With many of the aftermarket ones you lose the rear cup holder, the one I've seen fitted you could see screws as well.

The genuine one, whilst pricey looks and fits better IMO. They do come up secondhand on the forum and eBay from time to time and are relatively easy to fit yourself. (I have the instructions somewhere if you get stuck)

I paid around £25 from EBay. Company in Germany. Absolute doddle to fit. It was up for £35 I think but they were open to offers. 

Its a faily sturdy fit but it's not bolted so won't be as strong as OEM one. I got two covers with mine. Fabric and faux leather. For the price, it's great and does the job. No way on this earth I was paying 140! 

OT, but has anyone had the surface of the OEM armrest start peeling? It's as if there is some clear plastic seal over the plastic lower part. Any ideas on how to fix or make it look better (not inclined to buy a new one for a basic cosmetic problem)?

Edited by OzFabia

OzFabia the armrest that was in my car had the surface peeling off like you describe... I then accidentally snapped the lid off so had to replace it.

I found someone wrecking one in Tasmania, and his was in much better shape than mine.