Felicia pickup stop- start

Hello everyone, new to this an this is my first post so wanna say any advice much appreciated. I work for a fairly big landscaping company an do the odd private job so last year instead of mucking up the boot of my Ford I bought a tidy Skoda pickup. Since then the Ford has gone and it has become now my daily driver an sits alongside my Skoda fun pickup on the drive since I'vnow got the pickup bug :) last month I pulled into a carpark on a manky grey day an my lights an wipers stopped. I turned engine off then realized it wouldn't start again, had quick fiddle with relays and all was well. Then a week later I'm on motorway in dark an rain when it happens again. Sh@t my pants an managed to get to nearest carpark. Tried relays again, fuses, nothing. Got late so walked home! Next day jump in bruv's van grab battery an charge it an still nothing. Gave it a push tho an it started....kinda lol on 3 cylinders. Gave throttle a blast an it past an fired true. Got home but still wouldn't turn with key. Checked yellow wire to starter, it's fine. Checked cable connections on battery and earths, fine. Put multimeter on battery 12v+ standing an 13 when engine running. Tried key an pop, fired straight up. Drove for few days then it started again so sanded an tightened all earths an problem went away but then randomly when driving i'd loose headlights, wipers an blower again. On motorway sometimes if I climb over 50 mph they go an I can get them back by de-cellerating but not all time. An if I hit a bump in road they go off/on. It's now 50/50 if I have to tap starter with hammer in mornings. (Tapping starter will also cure lights ) it's driving me potty has anyone got any ideas? Many thanks

I would first look for signs of moisture in the relay box.

Then I would clean all the terminals of the relays.

Then I would test X-contact relief relay R7 (usually marked with number 18 on top).

Lastly I would suspect the battery for an internal fault.

• Like 1

Cheers mate, i'v got the weekend at least to inspect everything so I'll give your advice a try. Bit of an update while I'm here, last night the headlights started to flicker on off accompanied by the x contact relay going nuts so pulled over an even when stationary the lights still ticked on/off with the relay. So a loose wire seemed unlikely as no movement to disturb it? And I tried the x contact relay from my Skoda fun an it still happened. I'm far from an electrician but heard somewhere that an over charging alternator can cause a few headaches? 

Also check the yellow starter wire again but further down not just at the starter incase it has started to rub through somewhere. I had the same problem which turned out to be the yellow wire but about 6 inches away from the starter.

• Like 2

Have you checked ignition switch? Sounds like bad contact somewhere in there, also it's pretty common failure in Felicia

Edit: stupid, didnt realized that engine wouldn't work at all with bad ignition switch... So yellow wire - check also for corrosion

Edited by Papez

Sorry for late reply everyone, checked all above and yellow wire is fine even backed away from starter, did notice the wire from sensor on exhaust downpipe was chaffing a tad so stripped and tapped up with good old electrical tape. Also put a cable tie on it an secured it elsewhere. No problems since and starts first turn every time again. Where I am tho the weather has taken a good turn an only had one rainy day since problems began so not gonna call this 100% fixed untill the old truck survives another downpour! Cheers

If the heating circuit of the oxygen sensor touched ground (not full short circuit to burn fuse 20, but low resistance) that could explain the no start issue. Fuse 20 feeds current to:

• oxygen sensor heating circuit
  • ECU
  • ignition transformer

Any quasi-short circuit on the oxygen sensor heating circuit renders inoperative the ignition and the ECU.

On the other hand I think that at one time there was an issue with the yellow wire of the starter too. That should explain the sudden loss of headlights and wipers. The moment the connector of the yellow wire was pulled then pushed back, the issue got solved.

PS.

Please fill in the year and engine type in the description of your car(s). See your profile.

Edited by RicardoM

• 10 months later...