Would you buy a Skoda again?

2ndskoda

11 hours ago, JGrindel said:

Surely that's a safety recall no? Sounds very un-safe to me!! Speak to Skoda head office about that maybe and see if they can get you the funds to have it done for free? 

In response to:

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:29, philbes said:

No.  My Octavia vRS FL  was registered in March 2012; more than 15 months after a technical bulletin regarding  the outer side bolster of the driver's seat collapsing due to a broken air bag shield; yet my car was fault with a seat that later developed this (known) fault.  My driver's seat developed the fault when the car was 2 months out of warranty but three Skoda dealers and Skoda refused to sanction a repair unless I paid the full cost - over £300 .  I consider this not just a trim issue, but a safety issue.  If the airbag shield has broken what happens if the airbag deploys - I assume the shield is there for a reason?  My first, and last, Skoda.

I did speak to Skoda head office but they insisted I should communicate through a dealer and Skoda would not handle the matter directly.

Just now, philbes said:

In response to:

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:29, philbes said:

No.  My Octavia vRS FL  was registered in March 2012; more than 15 months after a technical bulletin regarding  the outer side bolster of the driver's seat collapsing due to a broken air bag shield; yet my car was fault with a seat that later developed this (known) fault.  My driver's seat developed the fault when the car was 2 months out of warranty but three Skoda dealers and Skoda refused to sanction a repair unless I paid the full cost - over £300 .  I consider this not just a trim issue, but a safety issue.  If the airbag shield has broken what happens if the airbag deploys - I assume the shield is there for a reason?  My first, and last, Skoda.

I did speak to Skoda head office but they insisted I should communicate through a dealer and Skoda would not handle the matter directly.

Wow thats really shady!! Not cool Skoda...

i do strongly believe that there should be a car regulator (ombudsman). there are millions of cars in the UK and there's no one out there that investigates issues between dealers and customers. The consumer rights laws are not tailored for cars and we need someone that can defend us from all those dealers that blame us for our driving lifestyle when things go bad on our vehicles. They clean their hands too quickly. 

7 minutes ago, Bertie90 said:

i do strongly believe that there should be a car regulator (ombudsman). there are millions of cars in the UK and there's no one out there that investigates issues between dealers and customers. The consumer rights laws are not tailored for cars and we need someone that can defend us from all those dealers that blame us for our driving lifestyle when things go bad on our vehicles. They clean their hands too quickly. 

Couldn't agree more on this!! I hear people having issues post fix trying to get EGR / DPF fixes under the warranty and they are being s**ts about it all... 

But definitely do think we need a body to help us drivers against dealers.

• 1 month later...

When I started this post - I did say that I would not buy another Skoda for the reasons stated.

As the year progressed, I did go to other dealers but got no satisfaction at all. My simple request was that they drive my car (hot or cold) - and then drive another of similar spec (1.2 TSI 86 SE) to make a comparison. This did not happen. Yes they did drive my car but said it's 'OK'.

I could not live with this and In consequence I have just purchased a VW Polo, and waved goodbye to the Fabia. In fairness the Fabia had never let me down, and has always performed with out missing a beat. I did consider a Mk111 Fabia, but the overall width had increased, making entry into my home and garage a little 'tight'. 

Again in fairness I did not compare the latest Fabia to the latest Polo - But can say that the Fabia Mk2 and the Polo Match (2016) are streets apart in every respect.

The Polo has been a remarkable and welcome contrast in terms of vastly reduced road/tyre noise - Engine (still a 1.2 TSI) is without any harshness AND I have re discovered what dipped headlights should be like.

I'm sure the Mk3 is a good upgrade on the Mk2 - but the lack of expertise at the dealers, and the continued denial of Skoda UK of problems with their product generally made me go to an alternative provider.

Will continue to view this forum, which has been quite interesting (and amusing) over the years.

• Like 3

Have only had 1 Fabia way back in 2004 1.9 SDI  and was our first. Great car but last three have been Superbs. Latest one registered last year SEL and wonderful car. I  personally have had no prob with dealers having used the ones in Dumfries Carlisle and Ayr. Have read some horror stories which is a worry. Have also had dealings with Skoda Customer Services and had to press hard to come to an amicable agreement. Think Skoda have lost the plot wanting £900 for red paint!!

38 minutes ago, 2ndskoda said:

Notifications advise that cward and headinawayoffski have responded to my post, but there are no entries that I can see.

We both had reacted to your post, which is the two likes or love hearts you see to bottom right of your post. 

• Like 1

I would definitely buy another Skoda as my Fabia VRS is one of the best cars I have ever owned.

The only problem at the moment is that Skoda are not selling a MK3 Fabia VRS.