How did your Skoda die?

RainbowFire

Simple one really: (If it's happened) how did your Skoda (whatever one) finally curl up it's toes and say "no more"?

All things must come to an end, and none of us have an infinite supply of money to keep them going, as well as parts supplies drying up.

Not really interested in how you got the headlights to point at each other round a lamp-post, or (as unfortunate as it would be) stolen and ragged. I'm kinda after "natural" endings. "Selling it" doesn't count either :p

Does my octavia needing a new steering rack being a bill which outweighed its economic value count?

I did p/x it against the insignia, i believe the dealer may have scrapped or broken it for bits, as it hasnt popped up for sale anywhere and its gone since start of November... :(

10 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

Does my octavia needing a new steering rack being a bill which outweighed its economic value count?

Yup, that's the kind of stuff, as long as it was a naturally terminal thing and you hadn't been spanking speed-bumps in it. ;)

16 minutes ago, RainbowFire said:

Yup, that's the kind of stuff, as long as it was a naturally terminal thing and you hadn't been spanking speed-bumps in it. ;)

Nope just what 203k miles does to a rack after 12yrs on irish roads :dull:

• Like 1

Oddly, just been thinking about this the other way round my 2001 Octy just flown through the MOT with zero rust on main body shell and surprisingly low emissions (used pot of Cataclean before)

I've owned from new and am passing on to my son to drive so would like it to keep running. Suspected potential Skoda killers:-

• Rear suspension trailing arms (trying to rust proof to preserve - currently OK)
  • Front suspension/engine subframe - not as well rustproofed as the main car body
  • Emissions!
  • Engine wear

The 2003 Superb that I sold in 2015 is starting to rust badly (I know the current owner) - mechanically stunning though

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Mine left my ownership after having too many problems and becoming a pain to keep running, combined with my increasing experience meaning I could afford to insure something more fun (Polo GTI).

It ran for another year or so I think based on MOT history.

Mine didn't die as such, but after 146,000 miles in 8.5 years from new, with a few years of large bills to keep it on the road, I finally traded it in in 2011. Don't think it stayed on the road for long after that - DVLA website has no record of it now. I still miss it. 'Twas a Mk1 Octavia vRS.

Strangely, I've never missed the Felicia that preceded it :)