Mk1 & mk2 differences?

Jeeves73

Hi all I'd like to do a rear disc brake conversion on my mk2 1.9TDi 105bhp. I've been looking at rear ends on ebay. There are loads of mk1s but not many for the mk2. My question is am I able to use the rear end from a mk1 VRS? Or is it completely different? It looks identical to the mk2 from photos but I'm no expert. Thanks in advance.

Part number for the rear beam is the same for disc equipped non-vRS models 6Q0500051AS.  For vRS models Mk1 is 6Q0500051AR and Mk2 is 6Q0500051BC.  I'm not sure if the difference will be in geometry or stiffness, so if it were me I'd stick with the non vRS version.

Edited by PhilTheGeek
  • Like 1

Thanks very much for the part numbers & the advice. If the beam is the same between drum & disc brake models could I get away with just changing the hubs & hand brake cables? Do the disc brake hubs come with caliper carriers? 

Edited by Jeeves73

• 3 years later...
On 13/02/2017 at 18:45, PhilTheGeek said:

Part number for the rear beam is the same for disc equipped non-vRS models 6Q0500051AS.  For vRS models Mk1 is 6Q0500051AR and Mk2 is 6Q0500051BC.  I'm not sure if the difference will be in geometry or stiffness, so if it were me I'd stick with the non vRS version.

Rather than starting a new topic i thought i would use this as its the closest thing ive found.

I need a new axle for my mk1 vrs so i contacted skoda and the part number came back as a BC. So now im confused as to which axle to look for.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1 hour ago, bigmaddaz said:

Rather than starting a new topic i thought i would use this as its the closest thing ive found.

I need a new axle for my mk1 vrs so i contacted skoda and the part number came back as a BC. So now im confused as to which axle to look for.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Re-checking I find that I missed that AR was the original part for the Mk1 which was superseded (on 1st June 2010) by the Mk2 BC part.  So yours will have been fitted with the AR part but Skoda now supply BC as its replacement (for a bit more than £600. Ouch).

Edited by PhilTheGeek
  • Like 1

Thank you very much phil. Yeah i nearly died when i seen the price. Lol. I will have a gander on ebay see if they have anything on there. Thank you once again for your help. 👍