Severe vibration through front of car and up through steering wheel at speed of 70 miles an hour plus

Philtaxi

On 17/02/2017 at 14:33, Tilt said:

I know my engine speed increases with road speed, and I did ask any rattling on tick-over.

Too late now though, either way.

I wonder if we will find out? Not good for the OP though, if this is the case.

They're starting to strip down tomorrow so will let you know the extent of the destruction and whether I will fix or scrapping her. The most unreliable car Ive ever owned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philtaxi said:

[...] The most unreliable car Ive ever owned.

Maybe it wouldn't be if you haven't waited 30000 miles to take care of the first symptoms ...

11 minutes ago, jafo said:

Maybe it wouldn't be if you haven't waited 30000 miles to take care of the first symptoms ...

Please don't insult my intelligence. this car was serviced every 10;000 miles at skoda dsg oil changed at 30 instead of 40 thousand miles. Asked about catching noise only to be told when they fitted new mechatronic unit that all was fine even when I went back with vibration issues they were not forthcoming. So what would you have done different? ????

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Philtaxi said:

So what would you have done different? ????

Found garage that can diagnose and fix the problem ?? 

If you've serviced car at the authorised Skoda centre - and you've told them that there is a problem and they've told you that everything is OK - then they should cove the bill, right?

I didn't want to insult you but blaming car for not taking care of it is a bit silly ...

3 hours ago, Philtaxi said:

They're starting to strip down tomorrow so will let you know the extent of the destruction and whether I will fix or scrapping her. The most unreliable car Ive ever owned.

Hope all not toooo bad

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Hope all not toooo bad

Me too.....................Just interested to know the outcome.

I like to be proved correct re the DMF, but not in this case at Philtaxi's expense.

Mine was replaced upon purchase of the car, paid for by the selling garage with a bill circa £1100, and this was before any damage resulted from it failing.

3 hours ago, jafo said:

Found garage that can diagnose and fix the problem ?? 

If you've serviced car at the authorised Skoda centre - and you've told them that there is a problem and they've told you that everything is OK - then they should cove the bill, right?

I didn't want to insult you but blaming car for not taking care of it is a bit silly ...

I honestly don't know how I could have looked after it any  better when even before this episode it has had close to 10 grand spent on it in 3 years. I would like to think skoda will cough up something but I'm not holding out much hope. Had mondeo's all serviced at main agents last one I had with 278 000 miles on clock never had any where near thease issues. Just another dsg fail.

1 hour ago, Tilt said:

Me too.....................Just interested to know the outcome.

I like to be proved correct re the DMF, but not in this case at Philtaxi's expense.

Mine was replaced upon purchase of the car, paid for by the selling garage with a bill circa £1100, and this was before any damage resulted from it failing.

Thankyou for your concern. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/02/2017 at 14:33, Tilt said:

I know my engine speed increases with road speed, and I did ask any rattling on tick-over.

Too late now though, either way.

I wonder if we will find out? Not good for the OP though, if this is the case.

Well gentlemen I have got the skoda back £2500.00 lighter but I have it back. The damage was a disintegrated flywheel damaged clutch packs and housing. The code's pulled out was P2711. The work was carried out at main skoda agent. At least I now have 2 years unlimited milage warranty on the repair. 

However I still have vibration rattle which is in the front. This time I'm pretty sure it's suspension related I know I have a front shock that is misting. Would this cause vibration through steering wheel? ?

Edited by Philtaxi
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Philtaxi said:

Well gentlemen I have got the skoda back £2500.00 lighter

However I still have vibration rattle which is in the front. 

Ouch re £2500

Is the vibration just at motorway speeds? Has something been left "not quite right" with the original attempt to get rid of the "DPF" rattle - eg suspension allignment?

Ensure everything put back correctly after the DPF / gearbox work - eg you can get rattles from all sorts of things - eg plastic engine covers! or plastic underbody covers

Edited by bigjohn

1 hour ago, bigjohn said:

Ouch re £2500

Is the vibration just at motorway speeds? Has something been left "not quite right" with the original attempt to get rid of the "DMF" rattle - eg suspension allignment?

Ensure everything put back correctly after the DMF/ gearbox work - eg you can get rattles from all sorts of things - eg plastic engine covers! or plastic underbody covers

;)

Edited by Tilt

15 hours ago, Philtaxi said:

Well gentlemen I have got the skoda back £2500.00 lighter but I have it back. The damage was a disintegrated flywheel damaged clutch packs and housing. The code's pulled out was P2711. The work was carried out at main skoda agent. At least I now have 2 years unlimited milage warranty on the repair. 

However I still have vibration rattle which is in the front. This time I'm pretty sure it's suspension related I know I have a front shock that is misting. Would this cause vibration through steering wheel? ?

More info needed on the "vibration through steering wheel", Phil, Re speed related, braking related etc???

It could be suspension related, wheels imbalanced or brake disc warp - if whilst braking (but this would not cause a rattle) and the possibility of brakes binding.

Vibration comes through the floor and up the steering more prevalent at speeds over 65mph. It's not the break discs they work absolutely fine no judder there. At low speed it almost feels like the front of the car is loose. It just doesn't feel tight.

Doesn't sound like drop link. I'm thinking maybe the near side shock is totally buggerd as it is misting. Or possibly front track control arm. You would have thought the dealer would have picked this up before phoning me to say it's all ready and me handing over the money.

However on the plus side the car does change gear very smoothly now.

• 2 months later...

I've now had new shocks all round and strut top mounts and drooling but I've still got this damb knocking / vibration. The tracking has been set on a hunter system and I've had four new tyres but it's still there. Had it on a ramp yesterday went all over it and can't find any play in anything.

On 5/24/2017 at 08:44, Philtaxi said:

I've now had new shocks all round and strut top mounts and drooling but I've still got this damb knocking / vibration. The tracking has been set on a hunter system and I've had four new tyres but it's still there. Had it on a ramp yesterday went all over it and can't find any play in anything.

As you've got a warranty on the work caried out - I'd take it back and get them to check it out

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Control arm(s) bushes?

Had some strange vibration and after long searches both front control arms bushes were changed plus wheel alignment done and now car drives ok.

One mount bush rubber was loose but it wasnt detected till removed.

Hope it helps.

Edited by Viiking
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Viiking said:

Control arm(s) bushes?

Had some strange vibration and after long searches both front control arms bushes were changed plus wheel alignment done and now car drives ok.

One mount bush rubber was loose but it wasnt detected till removed.

Hope it helps.

Hi viiking  did you get vibration through the floor and steering wheel and a knocking rumbling sound over uneven road surfaces . 

Well, there wasnt any sound you describe but defenately vibration trough steering wheel (higher speeds) and floor-based vibration too (other cases). It was sometimes less and sometimes more as in some cases steering wheel was shaking very noticeably (speed 110kph and more) like something big is loose and I really didnt understand how workshop didnt find any faults because it shaked really a lot to be ok but sometimes it was dissapearing and then it was very unpleasant feeling because of overall vibration especially when speed was higher. I started to feel it around 70kph and above.

Actually workshop taught at the first place that the reason can be worn out cv joint or axle but those were ok and there was no clicking sound also which could confirm it.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Viiking said:

Did you get your problem solved?

Your symptoms sound almost the same. It's still not fixed back in garage tomorrow and I've told them to strip it this time and just replace all the bushes. I now hate driving it I'm on the verge of chopping it in now for a mondeo. This has been such a bad car for me.

If you really decide replace ALL bushes then be prepared that anti-roll bar is one piece with its bushes and therefore a bit more expensive job than you might expect but at least not too much.

I'm thinking to replace anti-roll bar set too as changing control arm bushes made such a difference and before changing I also started to hate my car a bit. I'm hoping this way to get even better car as now I can joy the ride again :)

Edited by Viiking

On 2017-6-13 at 11:39, Viiking said:

If you really decide replace ALL bushes then be prepared that anti-roll bar is one piece with its bushes and therefore a bit more expensive job than you might expect but at least not too much.

I'm thinking to replace anti-roll bar set too as changing control arm bushes made such a difference and before changing I also started to hate my car a bit. I'm hoping this way to get even better car as now I can joy the ride again :)

Well I'm at a loss just had car back from dealer  £350 lighter and still bloody vibration while accelerating 70-85mph.

Just replaced lower ball joints all four wishone bushes and stabiliser bar with bushes. That's on top of new tyres new shocks around top mounts and drop links. Although car feels tighter it's still vibrating. Bit hacked of now.

Edited by Philtaxi

Maybe then really CV joint which can cause vibration but replacing it as a test is quite expensive if you are wrong.

Dealer told me that they have replaced CV joint(s) few times when customer complained vibration and there was no sign of worn out part. As they are selling used cars too then they just took one axle from used car and installed it to problematic car and this way discovered which side causes the problem and from there found out is it whole axle or one of the CV joints.

However if they wont find problematic part this way then bill wont be small and you have to pay it unfortunately if not agreed otherwise (as problem not found then no need to pay).

Less expensive option would be to take wheels/tires from other car and drive around to be absolutely sure that they are not the cause of the problem.

Still I'm just guessing.

Dealer wont suggest anything new?

Edited by Viiking

• 4 months later...

Still got this vibration at speed even after different tyres. Now totally at loss took it independent garage yesterday the mechanics said they felt the vibration through the floor and steering but couldn't find anything wrong underneath. The only thing that they did think was it could be the diff bearing wearing. They shook the wheels and thought it sounded nosey....but they also said they were not that experienced with dsg gearboxes. Cost me £30.00 to tell me what i already know. So at a loss now.

I think I've read all the posts and I don't think that anyone has mentioned the Front discs......is the car still on the original discs, they could be warped, and this out of alignment could cause a harmonic vibration that could indeed be speed related, many years ago my Metro had the same issue, this was cured under warranty. Just a thought, might be wrong but you never know your luck....as yours is a dsg the downshifting can mask breaking issues, so on the flat when it's safe reach the set speed and gently press the brake pedal if you feel a vibration there is your problem also try this in N.....Good luck

Edited by roynhayley
grammatical errors innit