Range Rover Velar

Ryeman

15 minutes ago, pipsypreturnsagain said:

Rather have an F Pace :-)

Few at work have them, poor base spec, no room in back.My Superb is better spec'd

Edited by Coops

3 hours ago, Coops said:

Few at work have them, poor base spec, no room in back.My Superb is better spec'd

Range Rover Velux? Range Rover Vulgarian? Presumably this will be built on the F Pace platform and not the Freelander/Mondeo platform like the Evoque? And with the new Perineum engine rather than something from Ford or PSA?

As to using a tried and tested platform tweaked a bit where they have been the basis of millions of vehicles sold as with the Vogue, that can be a positive.

They are just passenger vehicles after all so no need to reinvent the wheel for the sake of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EUCD_platform 

Edited by Awayoffski

21 hours ago, Coops said:

Fair shout Coops, TBF if it werent at least a 2.0d auto nice spec R Sport I'd not be particularly interested either.

Space wise seeing as they are platform sharing be interesting to see if the rear space is any better.

Jag will no doubt prove cheaper and for me the badge has a bit more kudos, not that it'll necessarily be a better or as good a car as the Rangie version but probably still my preference.

• Like 1

Confused of Moray writes....

now where does this sit in relation to the Discovery Sport.... my head is spinning more than when I try to work out the BMW 3er GT/ 4er Grancoupe conundrum

On 2/24/2017 at 07:54, Awayoffski said:

As to using a tried and tested platform tweaked a bit where they have been the basis of millions of vehicles sold as with the Vogue, that can be a positive.

They are just passenger vehicles after all so no need to reinvent the wheel for the sake of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EUCD_platform 

Absolutely true :) Platform sharing is something VAG know all about and have done very successfully. Platform sharing as a concept is quite poorly understood, however, with some cars unfairly derided as a result. There are limits though. How positive would you feel if you'd bought a Jag X Type with a Ford Transit engine in it? Well, at least it's tried and tested! :D

It's not just platforms that are shared either:

blogger-image--1626586492.jpg

3 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Hmmm.

I wonder how many need AWD.....fuel economy doesn't worry owners, it seems.

Hardly any, in which case 2wd makes good sense for doing the school run. Anyway, didn't Victoria Beckham have something to do with the design of the Evoque? 

1 minute ago, RapidPaul said:

Absolutely true :) Platform sharing is something VAG know all about and have done very successfully. Platform sharing as a concept is quite poorly understood, however, with some cars unfairly derided as a result. There are limits though. How positive would you feel if you'd bought a Jag X Type with a Ford Transit engine in it? Well, at least it's tried and tested! :D

It's not just platforms that are shared either:

blogger-image--1626586492.jpg

Hardly any, in which case 2wd makes good sense for doing the school run. Anyway, didn't Victoria Beckham have something to do with the design of the Evoque? 

I remember when Subaru decided that AWD was the hottest thing and boasted how they were going to lead the way in making it their signature.

I suspect they might like to take that decision back.

As it is the VW Group knew about platform sharing and introduced the new more economic to produce platforms and messed that up and got it wrong, 

so it is taking time to get that right.

They also Component share, even ones with Fundamental Design & Manufacturing, Materials and Quality Control Failures including Software / Engine Management 

and then just ignore the buying customers experiences for as long as they can.

http://carscoops.com/2016/11/vws-mqb-platform-to-soldier-on-for-two.html 

So a simplified VW Group with more honesty will be a breath of fresh air, sometime in the future once they get shot of the Board and Senior Management 

that do not seem to understand the truth.

Sad that employees only employed in recent years are already in detention in the USA, but some of those that were the ones behind the conspiring to defraud 

might be in the US courts in the future.

The CEO of VW North America 2010-2013 had previously been at Ford-Jaguar.

He is now the head of British Cycling.

He followed on at VW USA from Stefan Jacoby 2007-2010 who went to head Volvo & then after leaving through ill health to head GM Global. (Small world in the Motor Industry.)

As to Platform Sharing, there seems to be some sort of talks between TATA / JLR and the VW Group on that, 

maybe just media talk, but then there is no smoke out the exhaust without something being burned.

Edited by Awayoffski

Interesting comment below the article and maybe I am missing some of the background but:

"VW are trying to save face by making these claims, rather than admit that MBQ was an unprecedented disaster and total waste of money."

Can somebody expand upon that for me?

http://autoblog.com/2014/08/04/vw-macht-quits-mqb-platform-problems 

They went with it and as usual there are issues and it is everyone other than the VW Boards fault.

The Highly Experienced, Trained & Qualified Engineers and the likes of Martin Winterkorn who was the Engineers Engineer and know for attention to detail seemingly have poor memories and never heard, saw or spoke to anyone that knew anything about anything.

So collect a Golden Handshake, a great pension package and do not pass go. 

Only issue is the 'Get out of Jail card' now requires them to remember what other did and forget what they managing and why they were doing it, or for whom.

Edited by Awayoffski

All that give me of any substance is:

"after production equipment was installed at the cost of hundreds of millions of euros that did not function properly"

So someone takes the pain for poor project management? That's the nature of big boys business isn't it?

I was more concerned that the MQB might not be a sound platform rather than the groups anticipated profits taking a hit, although the price rises will be an attempt to recoup their losses.

It seems that no matter what VW get up to, they come up smelling of roses, and still outsell Toyota.

Imagine if they did something really bad!

Its the age we're living in it seems.

6 minutes ago, PirateSyrett said:

Pretty......but is it better than my Yeti?

Looks like it has the same straight line for the side glass.......nothing busy, just simple and efficient.

Beats origami