Tailgate not closing properly - the solution?

docc

Keep seeing occasional posts about the tailgate not closing properly, mainly on Facelifts.  Had the problem myself when the car was new and found the solution quite by chance.  Posting it here in case it's of use to others who may think the lock needs adjustment.

It wasn't the lock at all in my case - just a matter of opening a door or a window before closing the tailgate.  Doors and windows shut - tailgate needs really slamming to close properly.  One door or a window open - closes properly just on gently dropping, exactly as it should.

Similar situation to the original Beetle I think.  That always involved having a window open before you could close the door properly from the inside - pretty much airtight.  Suggests to me the Yeti's made to pretty good tolerances (not sure about the paintwork/rust though, given the recent post on Facelifts!).

Worth a try maybe - nothing to lose.

1 hour ago, docc said:

Agreed - but try the door/window test first.  It's a much easier fix!

But adjusting the bump stops is a one time fix, not every time the rear hatch is shut.
Mine needed a good push but has now eased up so it closes easily.

I wonder if it makes a difference as to whether the climate control is set to 'recirc' or 'fresh' air?

I've never had any trouble shutting mine - one big pull and it slams satisfyingly into place, almost never not latching properly.  I fitted some replacement boot struts a while back, meaning it needed a bigger pull to get the door moving, but didn't affect how it shut.