Roomster diesels

G4FUJ

I'm presently looking at replacing my MB coupe with a Roomster (or possibly Fabia Estate, but we'll leave that for the present).

I prefer the way diesel engines drive, however, having owned one modern oil burner with a DPF (Volvo C30 1.6D) I'd like to find something pre-DPF era.

So, can anyone tell me when DPFs became standard fit to Skoda diesels - the Roomster in particular?

Locally I have a choice of a 1.9 or a 1.4 petrol...

Thanks,

Graham

I think the older PD diesels (1.9, pre-facelift) up until 2010-2011 or so are all without the DPF. The CR diesels (1.6 l) all have the filter as far as I understand.

Thanks gents.

I had a Polo with 1.4TD diesel - assume same engine?

Cracking little car, but exacerbated a back problem (caused by a Triumph Spitfire).  Only problem was the seat height adjustment would drop on every entry/exit.

DMF - something else I hate in modern motors :)

Hi Graham and welcome to Briskoda. 

With one exception, pre-facelift Roomster/Fabia diesels were never fitted with a DPF.

The one exception is the pre-facelift Fabia 1.4 Greenline, which did have a DPF.

I, too prefer the way diesels drive and owned them exclusively for twenty years.

But the 1.2tsi petrol engine in my current Roomster is remarkably diesel-like in power delivery, if not quite as economical.

Try to get a test drive in one.  I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks Robjon.

I will keep an eye open for one. Only worry is under engineered cam chain - a problem with my old MINI Clubman Cooper 1.6D (and my present MB) though I understand the problem was rectified later in the production run.

The 1.6 litre diesel in my Roomster has a DPF.  In 38k miles I have had no issues with the DPF.  The early problems with DPFs were caused by bolting them onto existing engines.  Those engines designed around a DPF (like the 1.6) don't give problems provided it gets a 20 mile run once or twice per month.  The 1.2 litre 3 cylinder diesel in the Greenline also has a DPF but is utterly gutless and best avoided.

I certainly prefer my 1.6 over the 1.9 diesel I had in an Octavia.

A couple of issues to consider though:

1. We are still waiting for the "dieselgate" fix for this engine.
  2. There are noises being made about restricting "older" more polluting diesels from city centres.  If "Older" means those before DPFs were fitted to remove the fine particulates then the 1.9 and 1.4 diesels will be affected.  If "older" means those without the Adblue additive to reduce NOx emissions then all Roomsters will be included.  Though the "dieselgate" fix may reduce NOx emissions sufficiently.

Present "statements" seem to focus on pre-Euro 4.

I know the Jag X-Type diesel, pre-DPF, meets Euro 4 and there must be a lot of diesels that meet that standard.

I have little intention of driving my Defender 90 in town centres :)

As per usual with this kind of thing, there is little joined up thinking and London's present plans are only paying lip service to the "diesel pollution problem" - i.e. slap an extra charge on ££

As of yesterday, might be job hunting again and a new work location may well dictate the MB's replacement car/engine type.  I don't particularly fancy a fortnightly commute to the other side of Glasgow.