Mk1 vrs - 130k - remapping considerations

ive had my vrs for almost 3 years and been fairly happy with the pull. But now my mates all have various VAG engined hatches( paying £300 pm on finance) pumping out 150hp+. Wanting to show them that the scirocco isn't all that, I'm thinking about turning my Fabia into a little sleeper car, and a remap is top of my list. My question is that considering the mileage and the fact my car is worth less than £1500 is paying for a £300+ remap worth considerably more than a £170 map to get up to and around 160hp? 

You can get a custom remap for less than £300, usually if it is done via logs rather than on a rolling road. 

Where a bouts are you based? 

Has the turbo or clutch ever been replaced, these are things you need to consider as at that mileage they will already be, well let's say 'not at their best'. 

JRJG 

Jrigs on the money. Clutch Flywheel and turbo first. Engine is strong but careful with the rest.

I was in same boat 12 mths ago and it came down to leave it alone or commit to it. Take your time qnd go reliable.

Mine is on 140k, and I have only just added with a tuning box that mimmicks a stage 1 remap. Car is on the original clutch & turbo, so I made sure I could afford to replace both before upping the power. 

Edited by Yaris

IMO the clutch will be the weak point.

You have 2 options really.

1. A simple remap for <£200 and be aware the clutch might need replacing.

2. The slippery slope.... Spend ££££s on turbo, intercooler, clutch/flywheel, injectors, remap, brakes, suspension, alloys, tyres.

A better option would be to sell up and buy an older 330D :)

• Like 1

150hp is nothing power wise. Sounds like TDI's.

"Wanting to show them that the scirocco isn't all that "

It isn't - especially a bog standard TDI Scirroco. Simple fact :D

I briefly enjoyed the new styling and cooed over it. Its now common as much and dull as dishwater and IMO changed my opinion that is looks about as asthetically pleasing as looking at a squatting frog.

I think the Octy 3 vRS is superior styling although a lot bigger. I would say that though wouldn't I !

I'd simply enjoy your car as it without competing, the Fabia vRS is a great car even as standard.

Point out to them they could be getter far better cars than Sciroccos at £300 pm which should be agony enough. Plus you are a mug for investing in new car technology and choosing diesel.

Unless this is finance on the R ?

My VRS had done 183k when I got my jabbasport remap.

It is currently nearly at 193k

When I got it, it had full service history but no info on if clutch had been replaced. Fingers Crossed clutch is still going strong.

15 hours ago, vindaloo said:

IMO the clutch will be the weak point.

You have 2 options really.

1. A simple remap for <£200 and be aware the clutch might need replacing.

2. The slippery slope.... Spend ££££s on turbo, intercooler, clutch/flywheel, injectors, remap, brakes, suspension, alloys, tyres.

A better option would be to sell up and buy an older 330D :)

Vindaloo please dont be offended if I make your option 2 more realistic of what to expect.....  It should read ..

2,  The slippery slope.... Spend ££££s on turbo, intercooler, clutch/flywheel, injectors, remap, brakes, suspension, alloys, tyres. and get used to saying " I promise love, It's the very last thing I need "  and then " But love, I cant fit it without it "  and finally "  Well I know it's £700 but you spend £60 on hair cut?? "

3, Quickly grab the helmet.

• Like 1

Ive had my car for just over a year now,

It was on

:148k when it was mapped

:152k decat/Mrectomy

:156k FMIC /Hpipe kit

:161k mapped again (mapped the fmic etc in)

(Amongst other handling/breaking mods)

Now at 169k, Never had any problems atall, it runs and drives brilliantly. I have no history what so ever with my car other than a hpi report and a logbook so no idea when/if turbo and clutch have been done, this didnt bother me though as my plan is to stage 2 it anyway so turbo and clutch will be replaced and my views where well if they go a naker then it just means i can stage 2 it evan sooner .

Oh and that i no it is an ex-police car.

Just my 2 ecnep worth 

On 03/03/2017 at 08:29, Graffiti said:

Vindaloo please don't be offended if I make your option 2 more realistic of what to expect.....  It should read ..

2,  The slippery slope.... Spend ££££s on turbo, intercooler, clutch/flywheel, injectors, remap, brakes, suspension, alloys, tyres. and get used to saying " I promise love, It's the very last thing I need "  and then " But love, I cant fit it without it "  and finally "  Well I know it's £700 but you spend £60 on hair cut?? "

3, Quickly grab the helmet.

Ha! Life is about balance they say. :)

J.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Let me know how you get on mate, I'm thinking of getting a map done by r tech which is quite close to me, who are you booked in with, I use mrc on my other vag cars, but this being my 'runner' I don't want to go ther and go over the top as I do lol