Underseat sub or the real deal

As above really. I have an aftermarket headunit, which has improved the sound quality a tad in my Superb however I need more bass. I'm inclined to go down the route of an underseat setup like the kenwood ksc-sw11 but what are peoples thoughts? Or do I go for a proper sub, fit it in the boot and take up space?

Any experience or suggestions most welcome!

https://www.rw-online.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=skoda+superb

they do a custom made sub box for the saloon and estate.

I recently bought one of the estate ones, and while i havent fitted it yet, its well built, and matches the carpeting in the boot of the superb.

the estate one takes a 10" sub with a max depth of 175mm, and fits in the left hand cubby hole.

Hi Chris,

I was looking into this before and got to demo a car with a Pioneer TS-WX120A installed by Auto Audio who always do underseat subs. According to them, the Pioneer is the best one (they sell Kenwood as well).

I'd say it depends on what sort of sound are you trying to achieve... Do you prefer in your face, chest pounding punch, or do you like SQ-type "invisible" bass?

Most people would be happy with what I heard in that car, VERY punchy and lots of seat massaging bass "noise" that won't leave your car. Again, it depends on what you like to hear.

Tim

I've got a BOSE setup in my ForFour Brabus with a BOSE underseat sub, that in some cases sounds decent, but other times I wish there was more. I'm pretty sure its only the sub that is BOSE though, as the door speakers are pants.

I'm thinking I might just bite the bullet and do a full install, amp some new door speakers front and rear and then install a sub in the boot.

I used to like Bose when my hifi quest started but as I got more experienced, I realised something important about them: they are just designer branded, mediocre, overpriced rubbish! They have some interesting technology, especially their dock-speakers, but every one of their speaker systems can be bettered at a much lower cost if you know what you're looking for.

Due to the way they install car audio (while the car is being built rather than afterwards), I can't see them using other people's speakers; it could be possible but I would assume it is still the whole system or nothing.

That is definitely the route I would go down. In fact I'm planning a complete system overhaul in my vRS later in the year as the system sounds awful! I'm not sure where you are in the world but I would suggest, pound-for-pound, that you look into what the guys do in the SQ (Sound Quality) championships (EMMA & IASCA). It is eye opening what proper car audio can sound like, not because of the volume, etc, but due to how your speakers disappear and everything becomes a performance in front of you! It does depend on your tastes, budget and how involved you want to go but those installers understand more about setup than anyone else. Just make sure the system sounds good with music rather than the competition test CDs!

P.S. You don't necessarily need to touch the rear speakers as you ideally need the music faded fully towards the front. My wife (who sits with our 11-month old) still enjoys music in the backseat so you can save money there. Or just fade it back when you have passengers...

Edited by YouCanCallMeSir

i'm currently gathering parts for the install in my superb.

Kenwood dnx525

JL Audio 10w6v2 or a CDT 10" sub.

DLS or genesis amps.

Hertz mille front end, but that may change yet.

trying to create the boot build at the mo, and then need a weekend to wire it, and figure out some sound deadening!

My speakers are in the same location (cant believe someone thought that was a good idea!)

I fancy finding a pair the 3 way door cards, and then run an 8" midbass quite low, before moving to the mid, and then the tweeter which would hopefully bring the sound forward a bit more.

my other choice was find a spare pair of 2 way door cards, and get someone to build a speak location in the front of the door.

last choice, but one i dont even want to look at, is building a speaker pod in the sides of the footwell where the bonnet release currently is, but it would be a total pain in the a**e esp on a car thats used everyday.

if anyone knows of a pair of cream/sandy colours 3 way door cards, let me know!

Tell me about it! While I use the bottle holder every day, I don't think they do 3-way door cards for mine so I'm left with your other two options to resolve that issue for my install. That will be one bill I'm not looking forward to... :sweat: