Push Button Start Problems

About 5 weeks ago I changed my money pit of a Tiguan for a 65 plate Octavia VRS. So far I'm loving the car but I'm confused by the push button stop start (surely that can't be possible). So when I'm sat in the car, key in pocket, it just seems so random when the car/ engine decides to spring into life. Quick tap of the button- nothing, longer press of the button- nothing, sometimes hold button- nothing. I just noticed today that it started on the third tap/ press of the button. It's the same with just putting the ignition on, I just seem to be sitting in the car pressing the button until it actually does something. I can't see anything in the owners manual apart from the instructions for starting a manual- car in neutral with foot on the clutch. Does any of this sound normal? 

Defo something wrong. Mines manual kessy and foot on the clutch quick push of the button and you're away. Took a while to get used  not fumbling for the key  but love it now .Wouldn't be without it. Unlocks and locks perfectly too. Surely if your battery was knackered locking and unlocking would be a bit random too.  

• Like 1

I'm off next week, I'll get down to the local Skoda dealer and see what they say. I thought there must be something amiss because unlocking is fine..... 

If it's a manual ,then press the clutch pedal before attempting to start the engine. Kessy cars will not be immune to jumping forward when starting in gear. A friend had random non starts with his Jeep diesel (VW diesel engine iirc) until i said rtfm and press the clutch pedal.

Edited by gregoir
Extended riff on pressing the clutch pedal.

I have a manual kessy too - starts first time every time with a quick press of the button. (Car in neutral, clutch down.) I know you've recently changed the keyfob battery, but try starting the car with the key right next to the button. If it starts reliably this way perhaps you have a dodgy key fob/battery? (I'd guess it is unlikely to make a difference but worth a try?) Good luck getting it sorted out anyway. :) 

If it's a diesel, the ignition delay may be the glow plug heating time. This is certainly the case in other manufacturer keyless diesels. To test this with a cold engine, dip the clutch and press the start button once. No need to hold it in. The engine should start after a few seconds. When the engine is warm it should start straight away. Could be the cause?

• Like 1

I did wonder if the delay maybe the glow plug. Does the glow plug warm without a light on the dash or does it come on, go out and then fire up like if a key was used? (If that makes sense)

Like I said, if I don't dip the clutch but just tap the button, that should just put the ignition on? I'm sure it's the same carry on when I try that. 

1 hour ago, gregoir said:

If it's a manual ,then press the clutch pedal before attempting to start the engine. Kessy cars will not be immune to jumping forward when starting in gear. A friend had random non starts with his Jeep diesel (VW diesel engine iirc) until i said rtfm and press the clutch pedal.

Its impossible to start the engine without depressing the clutch in the Octavia with kessy.

7 minutes ago, Sime said:

I did wonder if the delay maybe the glow plug. Does the glow plug warm without a light on the dash or does it come on, go out and then fire up like if a key was used? (If that makes sense)

Like I said, if I don't dip the clutch but just tap the button, that should just put the ignition on? I'm sure it's the same carry on when I try that. 

I remember reading that the diesel only starts when the plugs are ready and hot and your foots down on the clutch. If you just press the button without the clutch, yes the ignition should come on. 

23 hours ago, Sime said:

I'm not sure with KESSY if there's a coil light on the dash or not? With foot on the clutch and a single press of the start button, if there's a delay in the engine starting when cold and a quick engine start when warm, I'd be confident that the issue was normal and nothing to worry about :thumbup:

If it's just as temperamental when simply trying to switch the electrics on without the engine, then I'd pop back to Skoda for a diagnostic. 

Edited by Maverick999

11 minutes ago, Maverick999 said:

I'm not sure with KESSY if there's a coil light on the dash or not? With foot on the clutch and a single press of the start button, if there's a delay in the engine starting when cold and a quick engine start when warm, I'd be confident that the issue was normal and nothing to worry about :thumbup:

If it's just as temperamental when simply trying to switch the electrics on without the engine, then I'd pop back to Skoda for a diagnostic. 

I got back to my car after work last night and I was going to film myself to see what the delay was. Get in car,  get the usual unlocking of the steering, get phone out ready and it starts first tap- same thing happened this morning as well!

I'll keep a close eye on things, thanks for everyone's help. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 11/03/2017 at 19:42, Sime said:

I got back to my car after work last night and I was going to film myself to see what the delay was. Get in car,  get the usual unlocking of the steering, get phone out ready and it starts first tap- same thing happened this morning as well!

I'll keep a close eye on things, thanks for everyone's help. 

Any update on this @Sime?

Suspicious about a potential problem on a Kessy Fabia 3.

2 hours ago, Dithane said:

Any update on this @Sime?

Suspicious about a potential problem on a Kessy Fabia 3.

It’s been as good as gold ever since, not a single problem starting. I’m not going mad tho, there was certainly something when I first got the car. Whether I was pressing the button too quick I don’t know. I almost forgot I ever had an issue!

28 minutes ago, Sime said:

It’s been as good as gold ever since, not a single problem starting. I’m not going mad tho, there was certainly something when I first got the car. Whether I was pressing the button too quick I don’t know. I almost forgot I ever had an issue!

Ummm ... OK, man ! Thanks for getting back !  There's  a definite delay on mine. But I probably need to check it against another "Kessyied" TSi.

Ciao !