Flashing Glow plug light & car not starting

Hi Guys 

Not sure if this is one for in here or the diagnostics forum.

So this afternoon I went to go out and the car wouldn't  start. (1.6 TDi)

The car wouldn't turn over. the glow plug light started flashing as soon as I turned the key. When trying to turn over the engine after a few seconds the oil light started flashing and a warning buzzer started beeping.

Checked the oil level and its fine

I plugged in my obd-II dongle and scanned for fault codes with Torque OBD but no faults found

I left the car for a couple of hours, 
I tried it when I got back and it started 1st time with no issues 

From searching the forums I've found some similar issues with the flashing glow plug light etc

So I was thinking dud glow plugs
faulty exhaust temp sensor
Blocked DPF

But not sure with any of these why the car would run fine less than 2 hours later?

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

Grant

Sorry Guys I reread my original post, 
when I say it doesn't turn over the starter runs as normal and all sounds fine but the engine just doesn't start. 

Ill take a look at the battery terminals tonight, make sure they are clean/tight

It could be 101 things.

There ought to be something logged in the ECU. You need to get a fault code read with either genuine VAG system or VAG-COM/VCDS as over the VAG range there are over 10000 fault codes I recall ( If wrong I stand corrected ). The cheapo or univeral readers will at best read around 100 codes.

The stealer, sorry dealer, will charge for a fault code read. Be sure to get a price first and be sitting down when you ask. A VAG independent should be a fraction of the price, maybe even free if they see it as marketing.

I had this happen twice when I had my 1.6tdi. The first time I was towed to a dealer on a Saturday. It started fine on the Monday when they got around to looking at it and could not find a fault. The second time it just died. The starter motor would turn over the engine but not fire. I sat for a while and told the car its days were numbered then tried starting again but this time I kept pumping the accelerator. It eventually fired and never did it again. I had the car for 56k and still do not know what the problem was.

was the rev counter indicating anything when you were cranking?

smells like a crank sensor to me but they usually throw a code

Edited by SuperbTWM

@delta925 Thanks for the tip, 
I've got an off ebay copy of VCDS somewhere ill try and find it 

@SuperbTWM I didn't notice anything unusual with the dash well apart from the warning lights and the buzzer

As above still haven't had a chance to check the battery terminals, it was dark and raining by the time i left the office last night so when she started 1st time I just drove home 

• 3 years later...