Octavia 1 water leak on windscreen

My trusty old Octavia is leaking water at the top of the front n/s A-pillar, or top n/s corner of the screen. In 167,000 miles the screen has never been replaced.

My question is: Is this problem common on the Octavia? If so, what's the cure???

My first thought was to just squeeze a line of sealer around the top corner of the screen, anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks folks, happy trails, Big Stevie

Does it have a sunroof?  If yes is it this that is the problem rather than the screen? 

If not,  could you have corrosion that has broken the seal between the screen abs the body work.   Seems strange to have developed a leak on a bonded screen.   You could always take a hit on your insurance and pay the cost of a new screen if it were accidentally to "crack" ;-).

But obviously try extra sealant but you will need to get the sealant right between the screen and bodywork to top up the original bead of stuff applied at the factory. 

Good luck! 

Thanks for the reply. No sunroof, I think I'll have a go with the sealer and see if it helps. Where the headliner meets the A pillar trim is soaking wet... Wait for a good dry day1

tHANKS

Just tooh a screwdriver to the car, dropped the front of the headliner etc, couldn't make out a thing... Popped the trim off the exterior of the side of the windscreen and the first two clip of the front to back roof trim. Cleaned all the gunge out from around the top cornet of the screen, as I was doing it I could see the screen flex a bit at the corner, so failed bond at the top corner, plain and simple. Will stick some bond in as soon as it's dry. If I've got it right there shoul;d be a photo showing exterior trims pryed up...

skoda leak 002.jpg

I've had a similar problem. It seemed to be where the factory went around the frame before sticking the screen in - and did't get the join quite complete. Looks like the original windscreen.

I *think* I've fixed it by:

• Using Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure on the outside - not sure how this will last as it apparently returns to liquid when it warms up.
  • Indasa sealant on the inside, along the top of the windscreen and down th eside.
  • Sealing around where the roofbars mount - I was wondered if they were somehow leaking and getting in near the window.

So far, it seems okay.

The advice about the windscreen drains is good though for other people with leaks - this is a common issue.

• 1 month later...

So much for a dry spell, well this is the far north Scottish Highlands... Anyway, cleaned all the grot off from around the screen and squeezed in a goodly amount of Tiger Seal (left over from fitting bonded windows in the camper van) and all appears to be good now. So, failed sealant from factory....

Take care folks, Stevie

• 3 months later...

I've had the same problemwith my new to me mk1 estate. Both A pillars were soaking wet at the headlining. Took some sealer in the inside in the corners of the screen and now it's bone dry :)

Edited by Paddythedj

• 1 year later...

Interesting, I've got the same issue, but the windscreen was replaced a few years back and even got the guys refit the windscreen under warranty a few months ago. They checked if rust was the issue but it wasn't. Anyway, I was spared of leakage for a few months but it has now started again intermittently, some rains I don't get anything, others the whole A pillar is soaked.

I also popped the trim from the same edge you took the picture of @big stevie but couldn't make out anything, everything seems sealed nicely so I doubted the "roofbar mounts", maybe under there the water is leaking?

Did you guys seal it from the inside or outside? I'm thinking of maybe just using silicone sealant all around that area from the outside.

• 1 year later...

Me again, my second octavia, this time estate and 2001 and with sunroof. The same issue on the same place, left side A pillar where it meets the headliner is getting more and more wet. It's not the sunroof. I "solved" it on the old sedan by clicking in the exterior trims here and there, but here it doesn't help. 

Do I put sealant on the outside or inside, I'm having a hard time deciphering how you actually solved it?

Btw the Estate has one piece trim throughout the length of the car, kind of fearing of breaking them...

• 3 months later...

I put silicone around windshied corner and two holes for roof mounts - still got a leak when raining. It's very localized unlike my previous octavia where moisture would spread up to my head. I was lucky to have a neighbour fix his roof liner and took a deeper look at the exact spot where I have a leak and cannot deduct anything smart except that I think the water is going through the rubber seal and then concentrating on the spot where I have the leak. I also believe this leak develops only when car is stationary on rain, during driving it doesn't leak (I have a garage so most of the time it doesn't see the elements).

See pictures below, if someone can point me where to seal it again before I take down the roof liner...

P.S. my car has a sunroof and the left side drain is either clogged or disconnected, because blowing compressed air on the right I get pressure on the door drain, on the left I get none - I did block the left drain at the sunroof but the issue remains. Maybe it's this drain but I have a hard time finding the drain pictures online on an octavia...

IMG_20200901_231015.jpg

IMG_20200901_230954.jpg

IMG_20201024_200421.jpg

IMG_20201024_200416.jpg

Edited by Juka
added comment the car is equpped with sunroof