After a subtle drop but on budget coilovers

Thinking of getting some coilovers not for mega lows but for 2 reasons. The budget ones like pro sport and Fk are dirt cheap and quite a lot actually like um, and by going down the coily route I can get the the car just as I want it. Was originally gona go for a Koni str.t kit for about £400 but the budget coilovers are half the price. What you guys think? Fk prosport  or Jom? 

I had some cheap FK coilovers  on another car as long as you dont go to low they ride ok ,

i would buy from a well known supplier so if any issues you can return them,

personally for a nice car like the octavia i would want a bit more quality like AP coilovers at £400

PI do the shocks and spring kit for around £275 you dont fancy this kit as you have had there springs before ? 

I was looking into budget coilovers recently, including the JOM and FK products

The verdict was that for the money they're reasonable, but the part to read from that is "for the money" - expect longevity issues especially with paint rather than the powdercoat on more expensive kits, at the end of the day you're paying anything down to ~£50 per corner and for that they need to give you a spring and the damper, the money just isn't there...

In the end I went for Eibach Pro-Kit springs because:

1. They're circa one third the price of coilovers...

2. If you only want a subtle drop and aren't chasing the "slammed" look then you have no need for coilovers...

3. The stock dampers are higher quality than anything you'll get in a budget kit, I'd wager even with some miles on them...

4. If/when the stock dampers need replacing I'll buy Bilsteins and have a setup far better than anything from the bargain bin...

I paid €124 for the springs and the ride is excellent with stock dampers even with 19s, the drop is subtle and for me exactly what I wanted:

IMG_20170215_170647.jpg

3 hours ago, willy0329 said:

I had some cheap FK coilovers  on another car as long as you dont go to low they ride ok ,

i would buy from a well known supplier so if any issues you can return them,

personally for a nice car like the octavia i would want a bit more quality like AP coilovers at £400

PI do the shocks and spring kit for around £275 you dont fancy this kit as you have had there springs before ? 

Yeah I had the pi springs on Koni shocks on my old vrs and they where great. Never had a problem. But can't find that combo as cheap now. That's why I'm Swaying to cheap coilovers because so many people slated the pi springs but u found them champion. No problems with them at all. 

1 hour ago, hrvrs said:

I was looking into budget coilovers recently, including the JOM and FK products

The verdict was that for the money they're reasonable, but the part to read from that is "for the money" - expect longevity issues especially with paint rather than the powdercoat on more expensive kits, at the end of the day you're paying anything down to ~£50 per corner and for that they need to give you a spring and the damper, the money just isn't there...

In the end I went for Eibach Pro-Kit springs because:

1. They're circa one third the price of coilovers...

2. If you only want a subtle drop and aren't chasing the "slammed" look then you have no need for coilovers...

3. The stock dampers are higher quality than anything you'll get in a budget kit, I'd wager even with some miles on them...

4. If/when the stock dampers need replacing I'll buy Bilsteins and have a setup far better than anything from the bargain bin...

I paid €124 for the springs and the ride is excellent with stock dampers even with 19s, the drop is subtle and for me exactly what I wanted:

IMG_20170215_170647.jpg

What drop is that mate? 

The Eibach Pro-Kit is a -30mm drop from stock

Eibach quote -20mm for the Pre-FL Octavia vRS, so presumably the difference of the vRS from stock is 10mm

The also do the Sportline kit which will drop you another 20mm on top of this, but I think that wouldn't look as subtle

An ideal drop for me equalises the arch gap at the top with those at the sides...

Before:

IMG_20170205_134728.jpg

After:

IMG_20170215_170714.jpg

For these kinds of drops coilovers aren't needed unless you need to adjust the ride height, but I'd wager 99.9%, if not more, of coilover equipped cars get set once and then left at the same height forever... ;)

Edited by hrvrs
speeling...
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hrvrs said:

The Eibach Pro-Kit is a -30mm drop from stock

Eibach quote -20mm for the Pre-FL Octavia vRS, so presumably the difference of the vRS from stock is 10mm

The also do the Sportline kit which will drop you another 20mm on top of this, but I think that wouldn't look as subtle

An ideal drop for me equalises the arch gap at the top with those at the sides...

Before:

IMG_20170205_134728.jpg

After:

IMG_20170215_170714.jpg

For these kinds of drops coilovers aren't needed unless you need to adjust the ride height, but I'd wager 99.9%, if not more, of coilover equipped cars get set once and then left at the same height forever... ;)

Looks OK that mate. So that's a 20mm drop yeah? 

3 hours ago, mikejay said:

Looks OK that mate. So that's a 20mm drop yeah? 

According to Eibach yes, that's 20mm, They only produce the Pro-Kit and Sportline kits which are -30mm and -50mm (-20mm and -40mm for vRS models)

You can view the official 2017 Eibach catalogue here, 1Z3 Octavia is on page 252:

https://eibach.com/de/sites/default/files/files/eibach-produktkatalog-2017.pdf

I didn't measure mine before and after but I'm very happy with the result :) 

• Like 1

I've got the vogtland -50mm springs on my vrs which lower it around 35mm they are on offer at deemon tweeks £107 on ebay

or the PI -30mm springs are on offer on ebay as well £104  

my car on -50mm vogtland springs lowered it about 35mm my drive slopes slightly to the left the car sits nice and level very happy with them for £107 should be £150+ 

20160927_164113.jpg

Edited by willy0329