Do all Superbs have engine undertrays?

TLV

Did maintenance for the first time on my 2011 Superb Estate Greenline II 1.6 TDI and before I even touched anything, I looked through the engine bay and saw the ground. I was a bit surprised, so I took a look from under the car and found the oil drain plug to be easily accessible. Less effort to drain the oil, but I was a disappointed to not find an undertray, especially on a Greenline. Did the car never come with one or was it taken off by whoever serviced it before?

Whatever I saw through the old muck, the previous filters all seemed to be MANN Filters with VAG Group markings on them and the car was supposedly last serviced at a dealer, but there's no written proof of that. I have had the car bottom out a couple of times at parking lot maneuvering speeds, but there's no way the undertray would cleanly leave the car like that.

My 2014 1.4tsi S (facelift) has undertrays under the engine and most of the length of the car. I suspect these could be easy to damage if you bottom out which may have happened on the Greenline which has a lower ride height - once damaged it's probably easier to remove. 

There was none, not even bits of it left. I doubt it would cleanly rip off with no other sounds but the bottom scraping. I suspect someone before has tossed it.

Are they the same on all Superbs? If so, I'd pick one up from a scrapyard.

Of all the models in the range I'd expect the Greenline to have the undertray - to improve airflow under the car and aid fuel economy.

They are often left off by lazy mechanics, especially when they lose the bolts.

Many a time I've driven past a car with the undertray flapping about underneath, no doubt lots of loose ones are ripped off and discarded by the roadside too.

Here's mine...

Image result for silver1011 undertray

More pictures here...

I undid the Torx screw that held the clip with the wires you moved to move the wires with the clip.

13_zpsxihethtl.jpg&key=32529741d5787bffb

Except it wasn't a Torx screw. The last mechanic must've also lost the Torx screw and replaced it with a slightly stripped Phillips head screw.

• Like 2

Here's a picture of the screw. Shame the original is lost. If I happen to visit a scrapyard, I'll try to pick the right one up.

IMG_0899.JPG

22 hours ago, TLV said:

I undid the Torx screw that held the clip with the wires you moved to move the wires with the clip.

13_zpsxihethtl.jpg&key=32529741d5787bffb

Except it wasn't a Torx screw. The last mechanic must've also lost the Torx screw and replaced it with a slightly stripped Phillips head screw.

That seems a much easier / quicker method than mine!

Just now, silver1011 said:

That seems a much easier / quicker method than mine!

Don't have to fiddle with the wires one by one and with the clip out of the way you should have more wiggle room for removing-installing the filter assembly back together!

• Like 2