DSG Tiptronic timing

Not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere but thought I'd ask. Does anyone know (those of you knowledgeable folks who dabble with VCDS) if the time duration  the DSG stays in tiptronic can be altered once you drop the box into tiptronic mode with the paddle shift? Quite often I'll shift down for roundabouts as the car seems to want to go round in the highest gear possible which isn't always practical. I've found that it does revert back to drive mode a bit sooner than I want and then changes up often leaving you in the wrong gear.

I'd like to know if it can be coded to stay in tiptronic mode longer, allowing me to decide when to revert back to drive mode and change up.

Thanks in advance.

From memory it will only stay in 'manual override' mode for 5-10 secs and after that time will revert back to full auto.  Earlier DSG boxes on the high performance VAG cars would stay in full on manual/sequential mode but I believe this was changed so that cars were EU emissions compliant. 

You can get DSG's remapped by companies such as REVO but I'm not aware that this can be done via VCDS. 

Unless I'm missing something, would you just flick it into proper manual mode (i.e. put the lever to the left) and it will remain in manual until you flick it back again.  I do this quite often as it does change back a bit too quick on the paddles.

• Like 1

Ironically, I find it moves out of manual mode too slowly!

Using the manual mode via the gear lever probably is your best bet.

So after shifting down using the paddle for the roundabout, I press and hold on the right (upshift) paddle, and it reverts to auto mode. You only need to hold it for a about 2/3 seconds. 

I often shift up to a higher gear using the paddle when I feel the DSG is holding a lower gear longer than necessary when doing 30/40mph, and then press and hold the paddle again to switch back to auto mode and the DSG keeps it at the higher (more economical) gear. 

Edited by Dilz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dilz said:

Ironically, I find it moves out of manual mode too slowly!

Using the manual mode via the gear lever probably is your best bet.

So after shifting down using the paddle for the roundabout, I press and hold on the right (upshift) paddle, and it reverts to auto mode. You only need to hold it for a about 2/3 seconds. 

I often shift up to a higher gear using the paddle when I feel the DSG is holding a lower gear longer than necessary when doing 30/40mph, and then press and hold the paddle again to switch back to auto mode and the DSG keeps it at the higher (more economical) gear. 

I'm with you on that.  I tend to use the paddles a lot for quick adjustments where the DSG is a bit off plus on overtakes.  Full manual for when I want more control on twisty roads or steep hills.  I also throw it into Sport coming out of junctions to get more power down and then flick back to D again.  S is also handy in slow moving traffic where it limits you to first and second whereas D can throw it into D3 and push the car too far forward when you don't want to.

• Like 1

@Devonshiredave I was about to join this discussion about how we use our automatics as manuals until I realised we were way off thread. Maybe you should ask the question here:

I was going to ask why automatics were chosen over manuals? Or, is the DSG gearbox really that bad? This is my first automatic since 1983, so I really have nothing to compare it to.

My 8 speed ZF full auto on my X6 is significantly better than the DSG in my S3.  The problem is the software not the box.  The algorithms appear to have been completely designed for economy and not drivability.

Too often mine stays in the wrong gear for tool long and then suddenly changes down making for an uncomfortable and jerky ride, particularly at junctions.  It isn't an auto though.  It's a manual with a clever dual auto clutch.  A true auto (such as the one in my X6) is a true auto and has never let me down by being in the wrong gear.  Mind you I suspect that box is getting on for 1/3rd of the price of an S3 on its own!

Edited by FelisBengalensis
  • Like 1

With my last Passat, I found it would stay in manual mode longer if there was more input from the accelerator. If you held the same throttle position for too long, it would switch back to auto. 

Unfortunately, my S3 doesn't have paddles, as they were outside the company's leasing budget!

Edited by daveo138

This is my first automatic for 34 years – I have the paddles, but naturally tend to use the stick instead. I always know where the stick is going to be, the paddles move around with the wheel and I tend to move my hands on the wheel, or even just use one hand, which means I don't have access to the left paddle.

I really like the box. I don't experience the lag problems I've read about. If I have to have quick response, like at busy roundabouts during rush hour, I'll switch off the stop/start, snick the stick back to sport, then over to manual. Having said that, in light traffic I just leave it in auto/drive with stop/start on and anticipate action in front of me so the lag doesn't have people behind giving me a friendly toot.

I wonder if some of the lag problems (that I don't experience) have to do with the DSG box and preselection? If it preselects a higher gear when what you really want is a lower one, there will be a lag. Approaching a roundabout slightly on the throttle will have a higher gear preselected, then when you hit the gas, there will be a pause while the box has to now select a lower gear.

As a non-mechanic, can anyone tell me if this thinking holds water?

I'm adapting my driving style to suit. I use Sport to pull away at roundabouts and busy junctions, tapping it back to Drive once I've got the momentum. I have also knocked it over the left and left it there, using the paddles and stick. I have noticed much better throttle response in manual. Drive seems to be slipping the clutches. I always wanted to go DSG but really miss the third pedal.