VRS 230 19" Alloys

Just picked up my VRS 230 and was toying with Alloy Wheel Insurance. I notice that nobody will cover diamond cut. Can I get confirmation on whether the VRS 230 wheels are or aren't diamond cut?

Yeah diamond cut alloys are a pig to refurb and finish properly, so not surprised they don't want to cover them.

A tyre garage recently damaged my 18" and just replaced it with a new one as they didn't want the faff and hassle, and to be fair neither did I.

Not sure on these, paid around £70 each on my Alfa, so I'm guessing probably £90 for these.

That'll include chemically stripping, repairing, painting, diamond cut areas repairing, plus removal and refitting of tyres and balancing.

The dealer I bought mine off (ex demo) has used something really harsh to clean the wheels so parts of them look really dull :sadsmile: no option but a full refurb if i want them looking like new.

Probably leave it until after next winter though - they look fine from afar!

Typical quotes are £120 - £150 for full refurb (18"). After having had a wheel re-cut twice after first repair job was poorly finished, there is insufficient material left for any more repairs too. In addition, after 3 years lacquer is starting to flake on repairs too, as it is virtually impossible to key lacquer to a machined metal finish! When it is considered that I have winter wheels/tyres and never clean with acidic cleaner, I'm not overly impressed with the diamond cut finish. 

All four wheels changed to gloss black next at £50 - £60 per wheel. 

I've driven Octavias since they came out in 96 apart from a 4 year lease in a Superb. I've wanted a VRS for as long as they've been out, but have I made the right decision?!?! :sadsmile:

1 hour ago, tonyss said:

I've driven Octavias since they came out in 96 apart from a 4 year lease in a Superb. I've wanted a VRS for as long as they've been out, but have I made the right decision?!?! :sadsmile:

Of course you've made the right decision!  You couldn't seriously be questioning your decision based on the off chance you might one day kerb a wheel....????  Park far enough away from kerbs and the problem never eventuates.  And in the meantime, enjoy your awesome vRS 230 - you won't be disappointed!!:D

I friend of mine had them on an A5 with black wheels, I wasn't overly keen but when the dealer brought her car back from a service and got warm and cosy with the curb, protector looked awful but not a mark on the wheel! These look to have a lower profile, due to the rims on the 230 being black with the black gators it could look ok, checked with a dealer and roughly £400 for a new wheel (the 230 black version), these will be a very serious consideration, £400 vs £90... any one else out there had any experience of alloy protectors?

14 hours ago, carl0076 said:

I friend of mine had them on an A5 with black wheels, I wasn't overly keen but when the dealer brought her car back from a service and got warm and cosy with the curb, protector looked awful but not a mark on the wheel! These look to have a lower profile, due to the rims on the 230 being black with the black gators it could look ok, checked with a dealer and roughly £400 for a new wheel (the 230 black version), these will be a very serious consideration, £400 vs £90... any one else out there had any experience of alloy protectors?

Your dealer is pulling your leg. 

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/octavia-alloy-wheel-19-xtreme--2013-2015-50632

6 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

The 230 19" Extremes are  Black , other Vrs 19" Extremes are anthracite.

* other wheel makes, colour and size are available * 

He was talking about the 230 ones and those are the ones I linked to!

:tongueout:

Sadly yes the ones in the link are anthracite, confirmed this with Skodaparts, the 230 version of these wheels are black, but that price would be a lot better! I'm currently talking to skodaparts to see if the can source the black version, hopefully for a similar price!

35 minutes ago, carl0076 said:

Sadly yes the ones in the link are anthracite, confirmed this with Skodaparts, the 230 version of these wheels are black, but that price would be a lot better! I'm currently talking to skodaparts to see if the can source the black version, hopefully for a similar price!

I gave that link to my dealer and bought a new black 230 wheel a couple of months back :blink: