Fabia vRS Juddering + Black Smoke

MattH

It's been a while since I last posted on here. I've been enjoying trouble free driving the last 5 years. 

That at all ended a couple of weeks ago. First I had the common earth strap alternator fault and then my top boost pipe blew off. I have replaced the boost pipe with one like is on the thread on here using the parts off eBay. It seemed to be fine for a couple of days. 

But now I'm getting a judder at low revs with loads of black smoke out the rear. Can't get it plugged in until next week at the earliest due to work so I was hoping one of you wonderful lot might have an idea. 

30 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Loss of power? If so, then I'm pretty sure you have a boost leak.

Yea ish. It Huddersfield and is a bit slow to pull. I already done top boost pipe. Is the bottom one common for popping off also?

32 minutes ago, MattH said:

Yea ish. It Huddersfield and is a bit slow to pull. I already done top boost pipe. Is the bottom one common for popping off also?

Afraid so. And the symptoms are about that obvious once it's happened to you and you know what it is.

30 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Afraid so. And the symptoms are about that obvious once it's happened to you and you know what it is.

I don't suppose you know of a thread similar to the top boost pipe one, that lists parts required to fix etc?

1 hour ago, MattH said:

I don't suppose you know of a thread similar to the top boost pipe one, that lists parts required to fix etc?

Self tapping screws will be your cheapest and most permanent bodge if you need an easy way out. Through the sleeve and through the inner section too. Bang a few in at different 'points' I.e. Three o clock, six o clock, nine o clock for piece of mind. 

Held perfectly for me. 

JRJG 

2 hours ago, MattH said:

The dreaded Huddersfield problem, nasty, good luck with that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jrjg said:

Self tapping screws will be your cheapest and most permanent bodge if you need an easy way out. Through the sleeve and through the inner section too. Bang a few in at different 'points' I.e. Three o clock, six o clock, nine o clock for piece of mind. 

Held perfectly for me. 

JRJG 

Thanks. I'll have a look and see if it's came off later. I have my undertray on so I cannot see. 

3 hours ago, MattH said:

Thanks. I'll have a look and see if it's came off later. I have my undertray on so I cannot see. 

There is a handy little 'window' in the wheel arch that you should be able to peep through, wheel will need to come off first though. 

If it is indeed the bottom boost pipe then just take the under tray off, refit and realign the pipes then get drilling. 

JRJG 

2 hours ago, Jrjg said:

There is a handy little 'window' in the wheel arch that you should be able to peep through, wheel will need to come off first though. 

If it is indeed the bottom boost pipe then just take the under tray off, refit and realign the pipes then get drilling. 

JRJG 

Do I need to worry about any swarf getting into the cooler when drilling? Is it best if I take the cooler off first or possible to be done on the car?