Navigation DVD with Columbus?

Sorry for all the questions, new car syndrome :)

I didn't get a DVD with the maps on with my new Superb. I assume everything is on the hard disk and you don't get a hard copy of it. I used to have a SD card with the Amundsen on my Octavia.

Just checking I shouldn't have one.

I was the same with my Kodiaq yesterday, lovely maps though.

Can anyone advise on the best way to get the Columbus system online?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tigermad said:

You have a Columbus?

Who knows?

whatever you get with an SE Business. When I was ordering it, I couldn't find anything in the brochure about the spec of the SE Business, nor online. When I enquired at the dealers, I was told "I think they're discontinuing them". 

I didn't even know I was getting satnav until it arrived!

8 minutes ago, daveo138 said:

Who knows?

whatever you get with an SE Business. When I was ordering it, I couldn't find anything in the brochure about the spec of the SE Business, nor online. When I enquired at the dealers, I was told "I think they're discontinuing them". 

I didn't even know I was getting satnav until it arrived!

That comes with an Amundsen not Columbus. :-) thanks anyway. 

Just now, daveo138 said:

I've just looked in my brochure and it doesn't even mention the Amundsen, only Bolero and Columbus. No wonder I'm confused! :o

Maybe I'm wrong then. Confused.com

54 minutes ago, tigermad said:

Maybe I'm wrong then. Confused.com

You're probably correct, as the brochure says Columbus has a DVD drive, which mine doesn't have. 

2 minutes ago, daveo138 said:

You're probably correct, as the brochure says Columbus has a DVD drive, which mine doesn't have. 

The Columbus DVD drive is in the glove box, not in the unit itself 

It may be like the old Skoda/Seat/VW etc were the dealer has to order the DVD/SD card when the car is sold.... I had to remind the Seat dealer a few years ago they do not put them in for security reason, people pinch stuff :) 

2 hours ago, tigermad said:

Weird so I am none the wiser now if I should get something or not.

1 hour ago, Paymaster said:

Me too, how do I get my Columbus online, should I buy a data stick or not?

You have Columbus if you look in the glove compartment and see a DVD drive slot, two SD Card slots and (optional extra) a SIM card slot.

Columbus does not (or should not) come with a DVD or SD Card. The navigation maps are already pre-installed on the internal hard drive.

You can't update Columbus directly "online", you need to do it via your computer. To update the maps you need to download them from the Update Portal. You just need a 32GB or larger blank SD Card to extract and transfer the download from your computer to the Columbus (a USB memory stick may also work but I haven't tried it). When you insert the SD Card into Columbus it will do a "software update" as it updates your maps on the internal hard drive which can take anything from 20 minutes to an hour. Before downloading the large map file check the version already installed. Press NAV -> press the cog wheel (settings) -> press Version Information. The current version is ECE2017 so if you already have it then don't download it.

You have Amundsen if you have a NAV switch top right but no DVD slot in the glove compartment.

Amundsen comes with the maps on an SD Card because there is no internal hard drive to store them and this card should come with your car. The navigation map SD Card has to be in one of the two SD Card slots to use SatNav.

The map update procedure is similar to the Columbus except there's no transfer performed when you insert the SD Card.

If you only have six switches on your device, three each side, you have either Bolero or Swing, neither of which have SatNav so don't use maps.

• Like 2