Skoda Smartlink install

I mailed the local Skoda dealer in Denmark, asking about the possibility to get Skoda Smartlink (Android Auto) activated since I was dumb enough to order the car without it.

The odd answer was that I had to buy the Aamundsen radio to get it - even though I could order the car with a Bolero radio and Smartlink.

I recently went to Germany and asked about the same and the big very official looking skoda dealer said it wasn't possible since my was too new (What?)

I then visited a smaller dealer and after some research they were willing to take on the job.

Does anyone have any insights about this? It just seems so weird that it isn't possible to install now.
Is it only official skoda dealers who are able to get the license for Smartlink? Or could I visit a independent shop and have them install it?

My Wife has the Mk3 SE L with the Bolero head unit and this has smartlink as standard. In the UK smartlink is standard on SE, SE L & Monte Carlo models, this allows connection with MirrorLink, Apple CarPlay & Android Auto.

Edited by moley

I believe that any VAG dealer should be able to order it- it's a 'part' as it comes as a code in a DVD case. The dealership's software then updates the car. I believe that code is tied to the car's VIN. This is based on what I've read on the Polo forums- the Fabia in the UK either has the Swing unit (can't do SmartLink) or it's standard on the Bolero. 

Is it possible that there is more than one type of Bolero? One that supports SmartLink and one that doesn't?

The dealer will charge me around £2900 for the Amundsen to get SmartLink at that is simply insane.

4 hours ago, Mhansen said:

Is it possible that there is more than one type of Bolero? One that supports SmartLink and one that doesn't?

The dealer will charge me around £2900 for the Amundsen to get SmartLink at that is simply insane.

I got my Fabia SEL 90 in April 2015 by I think August/September 2015 they introduced there 2016 model with an updated version of Bolero which linked to Android and iPhone smartlink was i think an extra. This radio could not be retro fitted to pre 2016 cars. Joe