Flashing glowplug light, engine management light on and into limp mode

Hello all, i have just joined and said my hello's in the hello section so just wanted to tell you about the problem with my new car. I picked it up today from All Electric Garage in Kidderminster and within 20 minutes I was on the phone to the salesman and then took the car back and drove away in a loan car (hyundai i30). So here is the problem i have with the Octavia VRS 2.0TDI CR (60 plate). while driving it home and the fuel saying only a 20 mile range i drove towards the fuel station and as you do, I put my foot down on the dual carriageway and then it happened. low power, glowplug light flashing, engine management light on, car went into limp mode. At first I thought it was because of the very low amount of fuel the car had and drove into the fuel station and filled it up with Diesel (£62.75 at 116.9 a litre). i restarted the car no fault lights showing excellorated in 1st gear (fine) changed up to 2nd and then it happened again just as before. so got home phoned the salesman, took the car back and drove away in the loan car. later on the Sales Manager phoned me to say they had took the car to thier kings heath branch who are a Skoda dealer. Then he said he thinks it is down to fuel contamination and asked where i fuelled the car up. I explained to him that it happened before I filled the car up so that cannot be the problem. so my question to you all is, ANY IDEA what this is before they try and fob me off saying its Tesco diesel thats the problem. I am sure Tesco would have had a few complaints over the day if it was the diesel and it happened before I filled up anyway. Hope I havent bought a dodgey motor here I was so looking forward to my VRS. It's the newest car I have owned, well for20 minutes anyway.

Hi

We had the same problem two months ago with our 2011 2ltr TDI Elegance. It was the EGR valve that needed replacing. The Skoda dealer should be able to pick the error code up on the diagnostic.

Until we could get the repair done, the dealer told us to turn off the engine for a minute if it goes into limp mode, then start it again, which will clear the error for a while - until it happens again.

Its an expensive repair we are in France and it was around 700 Euros.

Occi

As above the Skoda dealer should be able to read the fault code to identify the problem instead giving you a vague answer about fuel contamination.

Let hope the dealer is not try to palm you off with an expensive repair bill

Bit of an update. The Sales Manager called me today to say the Skoda dealer said these cars have 2 fuel pumps. the main one and then a smaller one. The diagnostics pointed to the smaller one of the two pumps being lazy so they are replacing it with a new one under warranty. then they will road test the car incase it throws up any other faults. I told him that I had googled the problem and the most common is the exhaust sensor and the DPF. he said that if they are a problem it should throw the code up with the diagnostic check. I will wait to see what they say tomorrow (12/04/2017). To be honest now I think about it I could hear a noise on the car like a pumping sound when it went into limp mode. Hopefully the replacement pump will sort it. car has come with 3 months waranty so i will be back there every day if needs be until its sorted while i still have warranty on it. 

Do you know the error codes they got from running the diagnositics?

I hope for your sakes it the pump in the tank, otherwise its a very costly job! My high pressure fuel pump failed on my 2008 CR vRS after going into limp mode a couple of times on a journey - contaminated fuel system (tank, pipes, filters, pumps and injectors) with swarf, in the end i had to replace the full fuel system.

On 4/11/2017 at 22:34, ALAN1968 said:

Bit of an update. The Sales Manager called me today to say the Skoda dealer said these cars have 2 fuel pumps. the main one and then a smaller one. The diagnostics pointed to the smaller one of the two pumps being lazy so they are replacing it with a new one under warranty. then they will road test the car incase it throws up any other faults. I told him that I had googled the problem and the most common is the exhaust sensor and the DPF. he said that if they are a problem it should throw the code up with the diagnostic check. I will wait to see what they say tomorrow (12/04/2017). To be honest now I think about it I could hear a noise on the car like a pumping sound when it went into limp mode. Hopefully the replacement pump will sort it. car has come with 3 months waranty so i will be back there every day if needs be until its sorted while i still have warranty on it. 

On 4/12/2017 at 15:25, OGvRS08 said:

I hope for your sakes it the pump in the tank, otherwise its a very costly job! My high pressure fuel pump failed on my 2008 CR vRS after going into limp mode a couple of times on a journey - contaminated fuel system (tank, pipes, filters, pumps and injectors) with swarf, in the end i had to replace the full fuel system.

If the pump has gone then i would get the garage to make the rest of the duel system is o.k, if it isn't then insist the change it under warranty as well, as that will save some big bills in the future.

Phone call today.. They have fitted a new pump but were only 98% happy with it. after further investigation they found that the cambelt was a tooth out which was causing the rough running and hesitation on hard excelloration. one of thier other branches in stourbridge changed the cambelt last week as part of the sale before I had the car. Looks like someones in for a telling off. Car should be back at the kidderminster garage for me on Tuesday due to the bank holiday. promised me it would all be re-valetted. just hope they replace any used fuel as I had filled it to the brim with Diesel (£62.75)

Edited by ALAN1968

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 15:25, OGvRS08 said:

Thank god for warranty's.  

guess what? car not back yesterday as promised!!! now the salesman is telling me that the Skoda dealer is still not happy with hesitation and they are looking at the injectors now. i've owned a car for 8 days and only had it for 20 minutes.  i'm now starting to get fed up!!!

I do understand your frustration but i have to say ( and normally not being a fan of car dealers ) the after sales and warranty claim in this case has been quite good. It would've been better if all these things had been checked/double checked/sorted before the car was sold but there hasn't been a hint of trying to cover anything up or fobbing you off. 

Car dealers have a habit of running cars really low on fuel. Every time I've looked at one on a forecourt the fuel light had been on. Not good for cars imo. Especially diesels with dpf fitted because in order for the car to regenerate there has to be enough fuel in the tank ( quarter tank iir ). Several test drives like this will lead to a clogged dpf. One option i suppose you could take is cancel the sale. Dealers have to sell cars that are fit for the purpose and at the point of sale that car quite clearly wasn't. Not a good start to new ownership. Good luck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, meaty101 said:

I do understand your frustration but i have to say ( and normally not being a fan of car dealers ) the after sales and warranty claim in this case has been quite good. It would've been better if all these things had been checked/double checked/sorted before the car was sold but there hasn't been a hint of trying to cover anything up or fobbing you off. 

Car dealers have a habit of running cars really low on fuel. Every time I've looked at one on a forecourt the fuel light had been on. Not good for cars imo. Especially diesels with dpf fitted because in order for the car to regenerate there has to be enough fuel in the tank ( quarter tank iir ). Several test drives like this will lead to a clogged dpf. One option i suppose you could take is cancel the sale. Dealers have to sell cars that are fit for the purpose and at the point of sale that car quite clearly wasn't. Not a good start to new ownership. Good luck.

+100 !

problem sorted! when the dumb ass mechanic changed the cambelt they put the 2 fuel  lines on back to front. to be fare i'm just glad it was not a problem with anything on the car, but still took 9 days and the skoda top technician to sort it!