New škoda karoq

Oykkh

Sigh!

Yes I do.

But I remain astounded at the no of "drivers" who imagine that 4WD has some magic effect on the steering and braking characteristics,

either that or they  are unconcerned about steering and stopping.

(And I am also aware of the definate advantages of proper 4WD, like Subaru, for fast driving, as in driving to the physical limits of traction.)

Which of course no responsible driver would undertake on the public highway.

Anyway I got der Steyr Daimler Puch for such apocalyptic driving conditions, and, forby that, I am seriously considering winter tyres for her, since I rarely be off the hard.

marcusthehat

• Like 1

Amazing how many see a 4x4 badge and think they drive a 4x4 when they have a part time AWD that often does not drive all wheels or sometimes even 1 wheel because no traction no action.

Lots might be better at getting some grip on the flat or a bit of an uphill with the correct tyres on and are still just a sledge on some off camber,

not even that much. or on a descent, then there is the lack of clearance if there is any depth of snow or wading ability, not that much even to get up a farm track with a hump in the middle.

Then no articulating to talk of.  Soft roaders, and there are ones that are capable and some with just a badge saying 4x4.

If Manufacturers give the Option of All Terrain Tyres that would maybe be a start rather than customers needing 

to search out wheels & tyres, asking what fits etc, should i tell my insurer, what do i need to go to this country in winter where 'winter' tyres are needed.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Guest FurryFriend
On 26/09/2017 at 02:05, trambly71 said:

Well for me the Skoda Karoq ticked the boxes, equipment choice, looks (acceptable), space, modern tech and overall price.  None of the competitors mentioned offered the price versus spec that the Karoq promised.    

EXCEPT the bombshell - no petrol, auto 4wd.....    Skoda were contacted but no reply back from them.  Clearly they don't give a hoot.....  Anyone been to the sales room to judge reaction to the question?

Looked at those other examples quoted, Land Rover (QC a bit iffy), Volvo (liked the XC60 but here in France they only offer a diesel) - overall they are much more pricey when compared like for like.  The Honda CRV received generally bad reviews from several sites - no doubt well built though.

Just for curiosity and for fairness I had a look at the Suzuki Vitara that Fin69 seems to like - lit looked very 1990's agricultural, especially the interior , so that is off my search list. 

We looked at the Suzuki Vitara when searching for our new car, which was eventually a Yeti 1.2DSG.

You know that satisfying, quality thud when a decent car door closes. 

On the Vitara it was just so tinny that we lost all interest. It didn't say much about the build. 

My wife's had a Vitara and we had to replace the petrol tank after 5 years due to serious corrosion and leakage. Not a brand for us anymore. 

Even the second set of doors can have a reassuring thud when they closed, maybe a 2nd set fitted due to the zinc inclusion issue (corrosion) 

Its says so much about the build and quality control or lack of, then the not prepared to admit the failings without a fight.

Maybe even new seals fitted that neither lets in water or contributes to the corrosion / rust there the paint was rubbed.

It is good that fuel tanks move on and plastic ones are fitted.

(other than when toe rags can just use sharp implements and steal your fuel.)

Vorsprung Durch Technik.  'fingers crossed that Skoda CZ learn from past failings.'

7 speed twin dry clutch DSG (DQ200)

World wide recall or service campaigns, change oil to mineral!! Software uptate 2012/13/14, 

Then DSG all fixed, supposedly,  lessons learned, then yet another Service Campaign started 2016 on some DSG (DQ200) 2013-2015 because of Oil Temp /Pressures.

Says so much really, You need a the good thud as you slam that door as you are exasperated at yet another VW / Skoda failing,

where was that Vorsprung Durch Tecknik.

Lets not forget the Timing chain issues which was sorted out, and now the starting to build up water pump premature failings.

The were reasons to just drop 1.2 TSI's and also reasons to move onto 7 speed wet clutch DSG's.

• 4 weeks later...

re the ongoing diesel vis-a-vis petrol "debate", now that I am retired, I am seeing the full benefits of running a diesel.

No rush hour stop-and-start driving.

No multiple short urban runs for work.

More time to drive "off peak" and

Longer journeys at a more liesurely pace.

result

after a door to door round trip to belfast docks from home, after a cold start.

64.9mpg at an average speed of 51mph, over 96 miles in total.

with 115,000 miles on the clock.

her only be proper run like, for a diesel.

cheers

marcusthehat.

PS

Urinated ah still haint seen a Karoq in the flesh!

Edited by marcusthehat

Order books open, but if you want to see and touch no pressure to order, just wait, then wait some more if you are well down the list for factory builds.

Or those first ones in will be getting sold anyway 3-4 months on from delivery.

Not as though there will really be a shortage of them, the build up to the release has been long enough.

Skoda UK will want ones out to Fleet / Lease and with 'Order Books Open' that can happen.

Overall I like the look, even though it's a little bland compared with the Yeti and that grey doesn't help, it's awful. But the red will lift it!

But the design of the front quarters I  find very bitty and disjointed, is that the best they can do. The headlight doesn't sit very well with the openings below (foglight?, and lower grille) not very cohesive at all.

Edited by VAGCF

Because Bland vehicles sell, and make profits for manufacturers, fugly and practical can be popular but if they do not sell and are not profitable then they are discontinued,  that is what it has to do with your post.

Lots of Yeti fans around, if they had actually bought enough Yeti then the cars styling would still be in the new models.

Design Darwinism/Evolution at work.

In part perhaps due to the "average" Yeti buyer keeping their carefully selected purchased cars for longer periods, and do the stats support this suggestion?

Ergo, an initial rush, that was very quickly satisfied.

marcusthehat

The best year for First Registrations in the UK was just before they were to discontinue, but then there were good Finance offers and plenty being First Registered then available as used cars. They never 'Delivered' more than 100,000 a year globally while the first and then facelift models were in production and they 'Skoda' 

never say how many were 'Sold' to customers as 'New' cars rather than ones First Registered to Dealers for sale as 'Used Cars'.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/411394-ever-popular-yeti 

12 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Because Bland vehicles sell, and make profits for manufacturers, fugly and practical can be popular but if they do not sell and are not profitable then they are discontinued,  that is what it has to do with your post.

Lots of Yeti fans around, if they had actually bought enough Yeti then the cars styling would still be in the new models.

No, that was not what my post was about.

I didn't say that the Yeti was bland, quite the opposite and did not say anything about the numbers sold, or put any spin on that.

My post was about part of the design of the Karoq with a reference to the Yeti.

I like the Yeti a lot but am not particularly precious about it and the Karoq will likely be a replacement for it when I come to change.

No i know what you posted, i read it, you said the Karoq was a little bland compared to the Yeti.  Quite a common comment since the Karoq was revealed, 

and i was commenting why, because the Marmite Yeti never sold well, like the Roomster never.

As to the Karoq in Grey it will be down to what people like, but personally i think it looks better on the Karoq than a Fabia or Octavia 

and it might be a choice that many make over the Solid brighter colours or bright metallic's.

Even I, with my fondness for  "form follows function" design, balked at the Roomster's staggeringly chaotic external appearance, but presumably the development/design costs were not hard to recover.

BUT

after a recent discussion with a local mechanic, all about the merits of his prized pry bar, which being a broken Keverneland buckrake spike, was far superior to any  bar designed, manufactured and sold as a pry bar.

And he was absolutely correct.

So sometimes too much "design" is a bad thing.

I.e.; by-times happenstance, or serendipity trounces  design, however well intentioned.

mth

Edited by marcusthehat

At least someone with a bit more design flair has been allowed near the front end!

Makes that of the Karoq look even more bland, which is a pity.

Edited by VAGCF

TBH It's only the T-Roc that looks comfortably presented (not seen one in the flesh of course, but just judging from online videos). Leaving aside quite why Arona is being compared to T-Roc and Karoq - aren't the competitors T-Cross and whatever the Skoda equivalent ends up being called - the angular lines on Arona and Ateca just look rather awkward and will I suspect date fairly quickly.

And, totally agree, Karoq just looks like a blandmobile. In a way it continues  the Yeti tradition - with Yeti as a buyer you had to look past the quirkiness of the styling, but with Karoq it will be looking past the blandness. Even bland doesn't quite describe it, it's more like a computer-generated identikit of a 2018 crossover that hasn't had any human input to give the styling some coherence. That's not, for a second, to say that Karoq may not be an excellent buy; indeed I may end up buying one if and when the vRS makes an appearance, it's simply that styling will come some way down its list of selling points.