Problems after major service

Stug

Hello all,

Yesterday my Vrs was in for a major service and on collection I was told everything was fine. As I started it up I thought it was revving a little higher than usual but didn't think much about it as it had just been serviced, on the way home every junction I stopped at my car carried on revving high, then when I gave it a few more revs I noticed that it sounded as though it had air escaping somewhere. Stopping off on the way home I restarted my car and the revs dropped but the warning light for the control system for exhaust stayed on soon to be followed by the revs going to high again. I will be getting in touch with the garage as soon as they open Tuesday but was hoping for some opinions or advice as to what might be wrong. Have I just been unlucky or have they messed something up while servicing??

Thankyou

Stug

You will find many posts like yours after members have had a Service where the Spark Plugs have been changed.

This is where the Turbo Pipe has net been replaced properly and the 'O' ring Sealed, or one of the Breather Pipes not replaced properly or punctured.

So where the spark plugs replaced?

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 3

You could take the engine cover off and look at the small breather pipe next to the furthest left plug drivers side, 

that can be left off or not refitted correctly, as can the Big Hard Turbo pipe not sealed when put back on, 

& that was missed.

Was this a main Dealership that did it.

They might say you tampered which is an issue obviously, but if you are confident just have a look see at the pipes.

Ignore this RED Circle in this picture, i just took the picture from google images from another Briskoda thread.

(Someone might help you later, i need to head off...)

tmc7.jpg

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

I'll get a picture this morning when I can be arsed getting out of bed (it is Sunday after all) but if you remove the engine cover and cast your eye over the spark plugs, right near the spark plugs there's a torx bolt that holds the vacuum pipes down (I can't think of any other way to explain it) just to the right of that there's a pipe that goes under the air intake that may not of sealed proper, you will have to unscrew the one at the other end just under the oil cap too if you plan on doing it yourself.  That's known for not resealing.

Edited by LGM
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, LGM said:

I'll get a picture this morning when I can be arsed getting out of bed (it is Sunday after all) but if you remove the engine cover and cast your eye over the spark plugs, right near the spark plugs there's a torx bolt that holds the vacuum pipes down (I can't think of any other way to explain it) just to the right of that there's a pipe that goes under the air intake that may not of sealed proper, you will have to unscrew the one at the other end just under the oil cap too if you plan on doing it yourself.  That's known for not resealing.

Thanks LGM, I hope you had a nice lie in lol, it is only nutters like me are up stupid early on a Sunday morning. It was the pipe underneath the air intake!! It wasn't even attached! I did find it very difficult to put back on as the pipe didn't seem long enough to get any further on but I done it the best I could, now going out for a test drive to see if its done the job.

Thanks very much for your help

10 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

You could take the engine cover off and look at the small breather pipe next to the furthest left plug drivers side, 

that can be left off or not refitted correctly, as can the Big Hard Turbo pipe not sealed when put back on, 

& that was missed.

Was this a main Dealership that did it.

They might say you tampered which is an issue obviously, but if you are confident just have a look see at the pipes.

Ignore this RED Circle in this picture, i just took the picture from google images from another Briskoda thread.

(Someone might help you later, i need to head off...)

tmc7.jpg

Thanks for the help Awayoffski :)

And yes it was a main dealer!

Edited by Stug
Added a bit

56 minutes ago, Stug said:

Thanks LGM, I hope you had a nice lie in lol, it is only nutters like me are up stupid early on a Sunday morning. It was the pipe underneath the air intake!! It wasn't even attached! I did find it very difficult to put back on as the pipe didn't seem long enough to get any further on but I done it the best I could, now going out for a test drive to see if its done the job.

Thanks very much for your help

My apologies i got side tracked, the easiest way is to remove the rubber seal and put it OVER the pipe it seals onto, then you slide the pipe over the seal and lock everything up. 

The other way is to remove the first lot of the air intake, filter and pipe. You can then see everything then, it obviously takes more time but you can see and be sure it all seals proper.

It might be worth dropping the garage a call just to give them a heads up for future reference.

Edited by LGM
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LGM said:

My apologies i got side tracked, the easiest way is to remove the rubber seal and put it OVER the pipe it seals onto, then you slide the pipe over the seal and lock everything up. 

The other way is to remove the first lot of the air intake, filter and pipe. You can then see everything then, it obviously takes more time but you can see and be sure it all seals proper.

It might be worth dropping the garage a call just to give them a heads up for future reference.

No need to apologise at all, your advice helped me find and sort my problem. My test drive went well and seems to have sorted it out but yes I will be contacting the garage as I need to get the warning light removed so I will get them to fit the pipe on better especially as they caused the problem in the first place and my tools and ability with these things I am not totally confident with lol.

Thanks again for the help LGM

• Like 1

On the plus side I got the garage to keep my old spark plugs to inspect, as my car is remapped I was interested to see what condition they were in and I am pleased to say they looked pretty good. Also my car was a bit of an oil burner, not terrible but still got through 1 litre in 1500 - 3000 miles but managed to get through the whole year using just 500ml in 7500 miles of mixed driving.

2 minutes ago, LGM said:

Nice, out of interest was it a Škoda garage? 

Yes it was! Bristos Skoda in Ipswich. To be fair to them there after sales and service has been pretty good and I have never had a problem with them before.

48 minutes ago, Stug said:

Yes it was! Bristos Skoda in Ipswich. To be fair to them there after sales and service has been pretty good and I have never had a problem with them before.

That's good then, lets hope they've put the correct spark plugs in then if they've forgotten a simple pipe :)  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LGM said:

That's good then, lets hope they've put the correct spark plugs in then if they've forgotten a simple pipe :)  

Oh no now you have given me something else to worry about haha ;). Yes I really hope so too, it is a bit worrying!!

14 minutes ago, Stug said:

Oh no now you have given me something else to worry about haha ;). Yes I really hope so too, it is a bit worrying!!

I'm joking, everything they've done and put in your car will be on their system, anything happens it falls back on them :)

• Like 1

I had exactly the same problem after a major service.

Called out Skoda Assist.

The guy identified the problem within minutes, some pipe behind the engine had not been connected up.

He said it happens a lot.  He also said that the mechanics at some Skoda dealerships leave a lot to be desired.

• Like 1

All sorted and okay now, I spoke to the mechanic that done the service and pointed out to him which pipe he had missed, he was very apologetic. I received some Skoda goodies as well to try and sweeten me up a bit!!

• Like 3

Ah you lucky guy.

Kind of the best of a bad job then.

Could have easily went the other way with deny deny deny and being arsey. 

Great they accepted fault, apologised for it and gave you a little compensation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hutchysrs50 said:

Ah you lucky guy.

Kind of the best of a bad job then.

Could have easily went the other way with deny deny deny and being arsey. 

Great they accepted fault, apologised for it and gave you a little compensation.

Yes indeed a reasonable result in the end. They could of been funny especially as I had a little tinker myself putting the pipe back on the best I could!!