1st 1000 Mile / 1 Month Report

I’ve had my car a little under one month and I’ve done just over 1000 miles so I thought this would be a good time to offer my initial thoughts…

Things I like:

I think it’s a good-looking car and I really like our choice of colour (it was actually my wife who chose the colour). We went for the Quartz Grey and combined with the Stratos wheels I think it has a timeless, classy look. I was a little worried it would show the dirt but it’s actually not that bad and it looks gorgeous when cleaned and polished.

With the exception of a couple of points (mentioned later) I also like the cabin, it’s just a nice place to be. All the controls, switch gear and materials feel good. Instruments are clear and nicely laid out. There is some mechanical and road noise but it’s suppressed very well and is never intrusive. Overall I would say it is quieter than my previous car (Toyota Avensis 1.8VVTI CVT) and that’s quite impressive.

MPG. Much of my driving is to and from work and according to the on-board computer I’m averaging in the low 50’s. My 25-mile commute involves a mix of motorway, 50mph A-roads and 10 – 15 minutes in town. My previous car used to return around 38 – 40mpg which is probably testament to the fact that I don’t drive my cars hard. Without getting too bogged down with actual MPG or the accuracy of the on-board computers, I can confidently say that I now travel at least 100 miles further on 50 litres of fuel and this more than compensates for the extra cost of the fuel (even when using the dear stuff). I am actually saving money…

IMO the engine and gearbox work very well together. 99% of the time the DSG is just as smooth as the CVT but without any of the issues (issues is too strong a word but I can’t think of the right one? Weaknesses might be better?), IMO, the DSG is simply the better of the two overall. The DSG is known for hesitancy and jerkiness at junctions, it’s well documented in reviews and I also experienced it myself when test driving cars before my purchase. However, I’m very pleased to report that my car doesn’t suffer any of this and is the epitome of smooth. Maybe it’s because I got the car from new and it’s adjusted to my driving style, I don’t know, but I’m really chuffed…

I like all the nice simple touches such as the Velcro luggage retainers for securing boxes etc, and the assortment of hooks and the removable torch in the boot.

Generally I think the car has a quality feel and punches way above its weight. The RRP for my car was a little over £25,000 but if it had four circles or a star on the grill, I think we all appreciate it would have been far more than that…..

It’s probably clear that I really like the car and I’m very happy with my purchase so in a way, I’d like to leave it there but, I think it’s only right to mention a couple of things I’m not so happy about.

A very minor niggle is the PhoneBox, I find it slightly awkward to use and I’m not sure it provides any real benefit? Being an Auto the lever is usually in P when trying to put the phone in / take the phone out and it’s in the way, it just makes it a bit fiddly…. Also, I’m not convinced that it does boost the signal or improve the call quality? There is a 1 mile stretch of my commute where I lose the signal, the display still shows a couple of bars but the connection is cut. It is exactly the same regardless of whether the phone is in the ‘box’ or in my pocket…. And it used to happen in exactly the same place in my Avensis.

However, a bigger issue for me has been the drivers seat. For some reason I’m really struggling to get the backrest comfy, no matter what I do I get discomfort in my lower back after as little as 15 – 20 minutes driving. I’m convinced it’s down to adjustment (rather than a faulty seat) but I’m damned if I can get it right. I’ve never had this issue before and I’ve driven a lot of cars over the years. Just to rub salt into my wounds I read a report the other day that placed the MkIII Estate (presumably the same seats?) in the top 10 most comfy cars.!

So there you go, my initial thoughts. Hope I haven’t waffled on too much.

Terry

• Like 2

I too found the backrest difficult to set for the desired level of comfort at first. But during a 700 mile each way trip to/from France last week, I didn't notice a problem. Perhaps it takes a while for the foam padding to get used to the occupant (or vice versa).

I hope you're right. Daft thing is I didn't notice this on a couple of extended road tests and I don't 'think' there was a problem when I first got the car? I made the mistake of letting a colleague sit in the car a couple of days after I got it, for some reason he felt compelled to press every button and twiddle every switch (and of course the seat adjusts without the ignition being on), unfortunately I hadn't set the memory. It might be my imagination but I'm fairly sure I've only had this problem after trying to re-set everything....

Yeah, the seat – so many variables. It took a lot of fiddling before I got it to where I like it. The lumbar support was the trickiest bit for me – too broad, too narrow? Ah, just right. Fortunately, I've not experienced the problem another poster has: the seat forgets the position you've set, and you have to start over again. 

I always find the Superb seats take a little time to bed in.  They will be slightly hard and the back a little uncomfortable at first but after the first thousand or two miles you should notice a real difference.  In my experience, they really do soften out and you find yourself getting a nice comfortable position.  It does take some adjustment though to get the right position, especially the lumber support.  Give it a little more time and I think you'll feel a real difference.

Thanks for the replies, I do think it is getting better.... or perhaps I'm just getting used to it? :) Either way, thank you for your advice and reassurances.

Got to make a special mention to Rainmaker, that really is quite a write up.!! Thanks for taking the time and trouble to do all that....

• Like 1

Nice write-up.  I am in a similar position - just under 1000 miles in on my 1.4TSi manual estate.  Like you, also delighted with the car, but a couple of really picky gripes.

1. I love the dipping nearside mirror when you put the car into reverse, but why does it angle outwards as well?  It overdoes it and you can't see the kerb properly - just down would be fine.
  2. I know it won't be relevant to those with DSG boxes, but the one time the gear indicator in the maxi dot would be useful is when you are stationary at traffic lights (so I don't try and pull away in 3rd :blush).  But for some inexplicable reason it's hidden.
Edited by iamdrew

19 minutes ago, iamdrew said:
  1. I love the dipping nearside mirror when you put the car into reverse, but why does it angle outwards as well?  It overdoes it and you can't see the kerb properly - just down would be fine.

You can set the position of it yourself.

Put it into reverse, then adjust to where you want it.