New Spaceback and specs - unexpected hurdles

Hi all,

I am just minutes away from placing an order for a new Spaceback SE-Sport 1.2 TSI 110 and re-joining the smart bunch of Skoda owners. (had a Fabia in early 2000s). However, this will be my missus's first car (she will have got her licence by the time the car finds its way to us), so I loaded it with a long list of options to make it safer and more pleasant to drive, racking up the total price by £3,710 to £17.86K. (For those interested the list of options is below).

Do you think it is a good deal?

This includes metallic race blue paint which I had to pick after I was told that Skoda had stopped painting Spacebacks in Corrida Red from this week onward. We spent the whole day yesterday contemplating the colour, only to be told today that they have now started equipping Rapids with new 1.0 TSI 110 engines instead of the 1.2. The dealer says it doesn't affect the car's performance, economy or price, but I have some reservations, especially after they were unable to provide me with any official stats on this new engine. (A bit odd for a Skoda dealer, no?) 

I haven't seen prices on cars with these engines yet, so I am struggling to see where I am standing in terms of the fairness of the deal I am offered, so if you could shed some light that would be very helpful. I just hope that these new engines are not worse. (I am yet to get a confirmation from the dealer whether it is a new facelifted model or not).

Many thanks for your time and replies,

Shigi 

Boot net and 12V socket £100.0
Darkened front fog lights with cornering function and LED daytime running lights £195.0
Auto dimming rear view mirror, rain sensor, light assistant and ambient lighting £250.0
Rear view camera with washer £230.0
SmartLink £150.0
Smartgate mobile phone interface £100.0
Simply clever pack - Rapid £50.0
Front assistant collision mitigation £315.0
Double sided boot floor £75.0
Cloth - Onyx/grey £0.0
Storage compartment in luggage compartment £10.0
Front and rear parking sensors £270.0
Hill hold control £70.0
Rear centre armrest with 2 cupholders + storage £180.0
Headlight washers £100.0
Keyless entry and keyless start £340.0
Storage net in luggage compartment £35.0
Steel space saver spare wheel £80.0
Body coloured side protection mouldings £75.0
Cruise control + speed limiter £50.0
Floor mats £75.0
Xenon headlights £405.0
Edited by shigidim

£3,710 spent on options!  Wow.  That's probably close to £3,710 added to the depreciation.  Quite an investment for a first car.  Extras add virtually nothing to the second-hand sale or trade-in price.  Of course this doesn't matter if you are going to keep the car for many years.  You do know that 20% of new drivers have an accident within 12 months of passing their test!

7 minutes ago, philbes said:

£3,710 spent on options!  Wow.  That's probably close to £3,710 added to the depreciation.  Quite an investment for a first car.  Extras add virtually nothing to the second-hand sale or trade-in price.  Of course this doesn't matter if you are going to keep the car for many years.  You do know that 20% of new drivers have an accident within 12 months of passing their test!

yes, I am one of those drivers myself )) although I managed not to damage my fabia too badly. And yes, the plan is to keep it for 3, or even 5 years, if it is running well.

interesting about the value of extras

Edited by shigidim

18K???

call carwow. get a standard one for about 13k or maybe less.

I've just been on and got a Toledo Style Advanced TSi110 offered at £13303.

with a lot of those "extras" included - cruise hillhold cornering lights yada yada...

and some left off that people on here don't rate - auto wipers for one.

rear camera is an extravagance too if it already has park sensors and the display.

Edited by camelspyyder

I've driven both engines.

The 1.0 TSi in the Ibiza is OK, but a bit tinny (I don't like petrol triples if I'm honest - it's not as if the Rapid/Toledo is that refined to start with) compared with the 1.2 TSi.

Small turbos are hard to get the economy out of too so I guess in real life the 1.0 might be thirstier than the 1.2 as well even though the claimed figures are maybe 8mpg better. Fords 1.0 turbo misses the claimed mpg by a couple of light years...

Go for the 1.2...

Edited by camelspyyder

40 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

18K???

call carwow. get a standard one for about 13k or maybe less.

I've just been on and got a Toledo Style Advanced TSi110 offered at £13303.

with a lot of those "extras" included - cruise hillhold cornering lights yada yada...

and some left off that people on here don't rate - auto wipers for one.

rear camera is an extravagance too if it already has park sensors and the display.

Actually, that quote is from carwow. It might get 500 quid cheaper if they manage to build and register the car by the end of June but chances are slim.

Toledo looks nice but it doesn't have a panoramic roof which is the main appeal of the Spaceback, I guess.

34 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

I've driven both engines.

The 1.0 TSi in the Ibiza is OK, but a bit tinny (I don't like petrol triples if I'm honest - it's not as if the Rapid/Toledo is that refined to start with) compared with the 1.2 TSi.

Small turbos are hard to get the economy out of too so I guess in real life the 1.0 might be thirstier than the 1.2 as well even though the claimed figures are maybe 8mpg better. Fords 1.0 turbo misses the claimed mpg by a couple of light years...

Go for the 1.2...

Thanks for the insight

I'm not sure nearly £4000 of options makes sense, will fall to zero by resale time in 3-5 years.

The model is about to get a facelift so not good time to be upspeccing the pre facelift version.   Would have thought factory orders for the pre facelift version are about to be stopped (Yeti orders were stopped earlier this week) so might not be able to buy it anyway unless you are quick, or wait for new version.

£18k is steep, if it was me I would not spend that much on a rapid, especially when something like the run out Yeti has virtually everything on your list (and lots more like dual climate, navigation etc), and is available for only marginally more after discounts.    I'm not a fan of the 3pot engine, I had one in a courtesy car whilst wife's roomster was serviced, very free reving, but not as smooth as 4 cylinder tsi

I like both Toledo and Rapid a lot, I've no plans to change mine but neither is an 18k car, really.

If you buy from stock rather than custom order carwow will chop thousands off that price.

Edited by camelspyyder

As above.  If you really want that car with that spec and have that sort of money to lose, then do it.  But from a purely logical / financial PoV it's a terrible idea.

You would be MUCH better spending the extra on a vehicle with that spec as standard or just coping with standard spec.

• Like 2

While im all for the Rapid Spaceback SE Sports... (our list price is £17,500) I would not buy one as you will loose so much cash.

For £18k, I would be purchasing a pre-owed 1 series or A3.

Ps.. stopping the Corrida Red is a crime ! they have also stopped it on the Superb and not replaced it

Edited by RickTT

7 minutes ago, RickTT said:

While im all for the Rapid Spaceback SE Sports... (our list price is £17,500) I would not buy one as you will loose so much cash.

For £18k, I would be purchasing a pre-owed 1 series or A3.

Ps.. stopping the Corrida Red is a crime ! they have also stopped it on the Superb and not replaced it

Thank you. My initially lacklustre interest in Spaceback got a big boost a few months ago after I saw the pics of yours in Corrida red!

However, our initial idea was to buy a used car and missus wanted a suv to be protected from all sides. LOL we found a lexus that was on sale by its main dealer. However, a close inspection of the paperwork revealed that the vehicle had a patchy service history with lots of inconsistencies between different reports! How's that for Lexus' s main UK dealer??? We didn't buy it of course but I am now scared of buying anything used...

• Like 1

Right now there are zero miles Golf Jetta Passat Scirocco and Tiguan on Auto Trader for less than 18k

Any of those are going to be way more modern and hold their value better than a Rapid / Toledo

I didn't bother looking at any other brands

Just sayin...

Edited by camelspyyder

• Administrators

If set, be interested to know where it sits price wise vs https://cars.briskoda.net/skoda/rapid/derivatives. Of course those are base model prices with a discount applied, and not with options, but the discount would apply to options too :D. PM me if you like. Should be able to go better, in theory at least. Give Paul a call at least, the actuals fluctuate towards month end ;)

That said, for some of the models mentioned above... pound for pound, I'm not sure I could do it.

We know pre-facelift, models get pushed out with good specs, look at the yeti drive for example. So timing is key!

The unmentioned item from above is insurance. That might be the rapids ace; as might the 1.0 tsi. The rapid can probably stand it. I'm not convinced about it in the octavia and never got a test in one.

Plan B is to put the options on post it notes, then pick which ones you really really need to have. What is left, might be sat on a dock somewhere at even better prices ;)

HTH.

Edited by ColinD

On 26/04/2017 at 19:15, shigidim said:

Hi all,

I am just minutes away from placing an order for a new Spaceback SE-Sport 1.2 TSI 110 and re-joining the smart bunch of Skoda owners. (had a Fabia in early 2000s). However, this will be my missus's first car (she will have got her licence by the time the car finds its way to us), so I loaded it with a long list of options to make it safer and more pleasant to drive, racking up the total price by £3,710 to £17.86K. (For those interested the list of options is below).

Do you think it is a good deal?

This includes metallic race blue paint which I had to pick after I was told that Skoda had stopped painting Spacebacks in Corrida Red from this week onward. We spent the whole day yesterday contemplating the colour, only to be told today that they have now started equipping Rapids with new 1.0 TSI 110 engines instead of the 1.2. The dealer says it doesn't affect the car's performance, economy or price, but I have some reservations, especially after they were unable to provide me with any official stats on this new engine. (A bit odd for a Skoda dealer, no?) 

I haven't seen prices on cars with these engines yet, so I am struggling to see where I am standing in terms of the fairness of the deal I am offered, so if you could shed some light that would be very helpful. I just hope that these new engines are not worse. (I am yet to get a confirmation from the dealer whether it is a new facelifted model or not).

Many thanks for your time and replies,

Shigi 

Boot net and 12V socket £100.0
Darkened front fog lights with cornering function and LED daytime running lights £195.0
Auto dimming rear view mirror, rain sensor, light assistant and ambient lighting £250.0
Rear view camera with washer £230.0
SmartLink £150.0
Smartgate mobile phone interface £100.0
Simply clever pack - Rapid £50.0
Front assistant collision mitigation £315.0
Double sided boot floor £75.0
Cloth - Onyx/grey £0.0
Storage compartment in luggage compartment £10.0
Front and rear parking sensors £270.0
Hill hold control £70.0
Rear centre armrest with 2 cupholders + storage £180.0
Headlight washers £100.0
Keyless entry and keyless start £340.0
Storage net in luggage compartment £35.0
Steel space saver spare wheel £80.0
Body coloured side protection mouldings £75.0
Cruise control + speed limiter £50.0
Floor mats £75.0
Xenon headlights £405.0

Corrida red is being used as press release photos for the 2018 MY RAPID so it looks like it's staying 

Screenshot_20170227-002613.png