Hi everyone, I have a question which I am hoping one of you can help me with. I currently have a Skoda Octavia VRS 2014 with bi-Xenon European headlights in (I live in German). The garage is changing the headlights back to UK ones as we move back to the UK in a couple of weeks.

The question is, once the headlights have been changed is there anything that needs altering in the ECU or onboard computer? i.e for the adaptive function?

I know that the rear fog light needs electronically changing from right to left ( I don't understand why you can't have them both on) but the garage seems unsure about the headlights!!

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

No sure, I will have to check the on board computer when I get it back. But I have the feeling that that sort of change is done to deep in the menu and can only be reached through a dealer. I hope not though

Afaik there is only one type of headlights on the vRS, and they change automaticly from LHD to RHD based on GPS or a setting in the Car/Lights menu... no need to change to whole unit!

1 minute ago, Hemulen said:

Afaik there is only one type of headlights on the vRS, and they change automaticly from LHD to RHD based on GPS or a setting in the Car/Lights menu... no need to change to whole unit!

+1

Is this a RHD UK sourced VRS that you exported to Germany?  

If the headlight units were swapped for LHD units did you keep the RHD units?

Was it registered on the German or BFG system?  Not 100% sure of current rules, but I was under the impression that tourist mode (flat beam mode was sufficient to pass the light test for BFG). If registered on German system, then I would have expected the units to have been swapped. 

Fogs can can easily be swapped from left to right or to both activate by anyone with VCDS. 

Hi Black Sheep, was UK registered, was on the BFG system, I got out and put the car on the German system and changed the Xenons for European Xenons as the kick pattern was different and it wouldn't have pasted TÜV otherwise. Moving back to the UK now so changing back to the UK headlights and will need to get the vehicle registered and MOT´d when I get back.

You are correct that headlight units will need to be swapped back.

If you are paying for dealer to do this, then the cost to swap the rear fog lights will probably be absorbed into the overall costs as it is a software change only - just check the maxidot display that the correct doors are showing as open once software change has been completed.  

Sorry. Re-read my post - not very helpful!

I will have a look via VCDS on my Octavia when I am back home at the weekend - like the dealer I'm unsure if the front lights will need to be coded (as my car was on BFG I didn't have to swap the xenon units on the O3) - whilst it is plausible that when RHD lights are plugged into the car, the control module recognises which lights are fitted, my money would be on a coding change as there are a number of settings referring to type of lights and if RHD/LHD etc. 

If you are taking it back to the same dealer that did the original swap, then it should be logged if any code was changed. Alternatively, the dealer should be able to reach back to the factory for the original coding from manufacture. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

sorry to hijack the topic.

I am in the same situation, just moved from UK to EU and even though I can change on the car computer to R-hand or L-hand traffic the MOT inspector here in Portugal said the beam isnt correct.

Anyone know what has to be done ? and if the solution is new headlights can I buy them and fit them myself or the car will throw an issy fit ?

Thanks for helping.