Yeti never to be bettered

sixer

On 5/2/2017 at 20:56, jonnyboy78 said:

...but could there be a bigger reason for Skoda not continuing the Yeti name? 

Rumoured not to go down well in China, which is of course an all-important market these days. And obviously it doesn't fit the K****Q formula.

But just to look at  Karoq from a slightly different angle: If you were in the market for a Karoq-sized vehicle and given that Yeti will no longer be available, is there enough to like about Karoq that you might choose it over Ateca, Qashqai etc? IOW, for better or for worse, the market has moved on; we might mourn the Yeti's passing but, in practice, for future buyers there will be a different choice to be made. Will Karoq cut the mustard for the next 5-6 years (before we all go electric)?

How much longer was it and where did the extra space go? I bet another 160mm on the length of one of those wouldn't have put many of us off?

If in the boot it would have suited me perfectly and I may have been one of those who bought one of the last Yetis!

Edited by VAGCF

I wonder why they didn't produce a stretched Yeti for the UK like they apparently  did for China? I would have fancied one of those (Although I think they would have to rethink the legalities of the spare wheel hinging)

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/11/2014-skoda-yeti-facelift-with-boot-mounted-spare-wheel-106103

Jim

Edited by muddyjim

What would have been the legalities of EU type approval that are different from the likes of a Ford Ecosport with fixed spare wheel carriers, or various 4x4's.

You would only have to swing the spare wheel when stopped as have been common on vehicles over the years.

ford-ecosport-rt-033.jpg

0016843_toyota-fj100-land-cruiser-swing-awy-spare-wheel-carrier.jpeg

Edited by Awayoffski

.... or simply put a rear light on the side face of the door so it is visible when the door is open ( a bit like they had to do on the early classic mini; they had a pivoting numberplate/light so that they could be used with the boot open.)

http://miniboot_zps4b05b8da.png

You wouldn't have had to have a spare wheel anyway, like the normal Yeti, and no doubt a space saver could have been accommodated inside.

All rather arbitrary though. 

Anyone know the turning circle of the Karoq?  One of the things that frequently makes me smile about my Yeti is how easy it is to manoeuvre in tight spaces.  It feels almost like a classic London Taxi the way it can be u-turned in unlikely places.  I'm pretty sure it's better than the van-style people carriers that increasingly seem to be replacing the TX4s in Edinburgh :sadsmile:

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

Anyone know the turning circle of the Karoq?  One of the things that frequently makes me smile about my Yeti is how easy it is to manoeuvre in tight spaces.  It feels almost like a classic London Taxi the way it can be u-turned in unlikely places.  I'm pretty sure it's better than the van-style people carriers that increasingly seem to be replacing the TX4s in Edinburgh :sadsmile:

Yeti:

10.3 metres

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/skoda-yeti-and-yeti-outdoor-sizes-and-dimensions-guide

Karoq:

11.6 metres

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/skoda-kodiaq-size-dimensions-guide

Edited by gadgetman

4ft wider?!!!

<blows enormous raspberry>

Anyone know when the Drive models are going to cease being available???

P.S. Thanks for looking it up, gadgetman.

Edited by ejstubbs

4 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

4ft wider?!!!

<blows enormous raspberry>

Anyone know when the Drive models are going to cease being available???

P.S. Thanks for looking it up, gadgetman.

they are only selling what's already built so while my dealer was able to offer 4 or 5 that won't last. 

The turning circle of the Yeti was one of its most endearing features and making it almost unique as the perfect Swiss knife of cars.

The Karoq is just another fridge on wheels in that case!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

The turning circle of the Yeti was one of its most endearing features and making it almost unique as the perfect Swiss knife of cars.

The Karoq is just another fridge on wheels in that case!

But not as cool ??:)

• Like 1

Guest FurryFriend
On 2017-5-24 at 08:47, prodata said:

Rumoured not to go down well in China, which is of course an all-important market these days. And obviously it doesn't fit the K****Q formula.

But just to look at  Karoq from a slightly different angle: If you were in the market for a Karoq-sized vehicle and given that Yeti will no longer be available, is there enough to like about Karoq that you might choose it over Ateca, Qashqai etc? IOW, for better or for worse, the market has moved on; we might mourn the Yeti's passing but, in practice, for future buyers there will be a different choice to be made. Will Karoq cut the mustard for the next 5-6 years (before we all go electric)?

Answer is a resounding and heartfelt NO NO. I think the bottom line of it, AS A CUSTOMER,  is this for me.

I absolutely DO NOT LIKE that shape of vehicle. I don't care who makes it. And as it happens , that doesn't matter, because it's the SHAPE that doesn't appeal. Car designers lately have no imagination is all that it says to me. 

Bottom line again means that because of that,  it's highly likely that this will be the last time the Skoda dealers see my chequebook ! 

It's called LOST CUSTOMER. And the CUSTOMER, like or not...... is KING.

I will say it now. I think SKODA have made a BIG marketing mistake in dropping  the Yeti. 

We went to look at a Jeep when we were looking for a car to buy. What a laugh! The rear seats don't even fold down properly. You'd think Americans  would have thought about that.... No? 

We looked at all the Nissans,  which are made just up the road from us here in Gateshead. All rounded off at the back. So you immediately lose that box shape SO useful for day to day transport of just about everything imaginable. A bit like the Citroen C3 Picasso.... Selling in its tens of thousands all over the UK and even being used as taxis. Another brilliant shape....we would have bought one, but no automatic gearbox option. 

I think the chances of manufacturing turning over to completely electric cars cars in the next 5-6 years is highly unlikely. Hybrids, maybe.....but OH dear Skoda.... I fear you have just killed the golden  goose!

Exactly the right car, at exactly the  right time, the right price......... and you kill it off!!  

***  SACK THE DIRECTORS! 

Edited by FurryFriend
Spelling error

1 hour ago, FurryFriend said:

Answer is a resounding and heartfelt NO NO. I think the bottom line of it, AS A CUSTOMER,  is this for me.

I absolutely DO NOT LIKE that shape of vehicle.

I think I get your drift ;)

But the question was: Imagine in 2-3 years' time when there certainly won't be any new or nearly new Yetis available then which out of the currently available small SUV type vehicles would you choose? Qashqai, Ateca, T-Roc etc. Where does Karoq fit into that?

Skoda might well lose customers, but then there were not that many customers in the scheme of things even if they had sold 100,000 a year globally over the

years of production.

The thing is they never sold all as new as they were First Registering as usual to bump 'Sales' at various times as often happens with many Manufacturers.

So Used cars when lots of customer got them.

Then customers were repeat buyers maybe having 2 or 3 Yeti.

So for customers now lost i would imagine many more will be attracted but the 'Produced' and 'Delivered' figures that Skoda publish for the Karoq in 2018 then 2019 might be the proof of the pudding.

2 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

OH dear Skoda.... I fear you have just killed the golden  goose!

Exactly the right car, at exactly the  right time, the right price......... and you kill it off!!  

But it wasn't selling as well as you think. 

The market research clearly told them the reason was it wasn't big enough inside, so that's the reason why it's bigger. 

Manufacturers do a lot of market research, and Skoda have had several which briskoda have posted about where members have been able to get involved in shaping future developments including the Yeti (I recall 2 such events just on the Yeti). 

So a question to everyone who says this is their last Skoda as a result, and given the comments on size and looks, what would you buy next? 

Because there seems to be nothing that would fit the bill it would seem, so I suspect people will eventually see the Karoq as a worthy replacement. 

Edited by gadgetman
  • Like 1

Guest FurryFriend

No. That's my whole point. In all honesty, and it's something we've discussed, if this current obsession with the 'jelly mould' shape continues, then, next time round,  I reckon we'll probably be buying an import again. Maybe a Lincoln :biggrin:

1 minute ago, FurryFriend said:

No. That's my whole point. In all honesty, and it's something we've discussed, if this current obsession with the 'jelly mould' shape continues, then, next time round,  I reckon we'll probably be buying an import again. Maybe a Lincoln :biggrin:

Given your comments, that's even more bizarre than sticking with a brand. 

Just be sure to stock up of sea sickness tablets :D

Guest FurryFriend

No. You WANT me to say I'd be tempted by one of the makes quoted. I wouldn't be tempted by ANY of them. I dislike the shape completely. 

You can't force people to buy new cars just because that's all that's available.... Or have I missed something?