Kodiaq extras - which ones make sense

Dear Briskodians,

Currently driving a '13 Superb 2.0 Tdi 170 HP.

We have a largish family with 2 small kids ( 1 yo and 3 yo ), a border collie and the ocassional grand parents - which we might like to have sometimes around.

We are looking at the Skoda Kodiaq as the next car, budget is now set so I have to choose from the options list ( I would like to keep them all, but can't really ) - I should either kick out 1 or 2 more expensive ones.

Maybe you can help out by pointing out the obvious, which I cannot see. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

The spec car is a 2.0 Tdi 190 HP 4x4 DSG with the following extras:

- 3rd row of seats - this is an optional in Romania

- area view cameras

- dynamic chassis control

- towing hitch

- heated windscreen - amazing for clearling off snow

- bluetooth with phonebox and exterior antenna connection

- amundsen navi

- travel assistant - nice to have 

- sport steering wheel with paddle shifters

If any of these extras are not worth it, kindly advise. Or vice-versa if I missed something.

PS: wife's car is a '14 Rapid hatch 1.2 tsi 105 HP with a towing hitch which we use ocassionally to carry light stuff for the house.

Thanks,

Andy

Edited by Gizmo68
title edited at Andy's request

2 hours ago, hataricus said:

Dear Briskodians,

Currently driving a '13 Superb 2.0 Tdi 170 HP.

We have a largish family with 2 small kids ( 1 yo and 3 yo ), a border collie and the ocassional grand parents - which we might like to have sometimes around.

We are looking at the Skoda Kodiaq as the next car, budget is now set so I have to choose from the options list ( I would like to keep them all, but can't really ) - I should either kick out 1 or 2 more expensive ones.

Maybe you can help out by pointing out the obvious, which I cannot see. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

The spec car is a 2.0 Tdi 190 HP 4x4 DSG with the following extras:

- 3rd row of seats - this is an optional in Romania

- area view cameras

- towing hitch

- amundsen navi

If any of these extras are not worth it, kindly advise. Or vice-versa if I missed something.

PS: wife's car is a '14 Rapid hatch 1.2 tsi 105 HP with a towing hitch which we use ocassionally to carry light stuff for the house.

Thanks,

Andy

- 7 seats - go for it. I moved from a Superb too and have enjoyed 6 in the car already

- area view camera - forget it - spend it on fuel and beer

- dynamic chassis - forget it - ditto

- towing hitch - if you need it then you need it

- heated screen - very nice to have

- Bluetooth & phone box - forget it - you don't need another distraction with kids in the car :-)

- Amundsen navi - if you tend to get lost then go buy a stick on device

- travel assistant - forget it

- sport wheel & DSG paddles - I wouldn't be without them and now I don't know how I survived without a hot steering wheel (uk package) :-)

See, I've saved you a fortune that can be better spent elsewhere :-)

• Like 1

Isn't Columbus better than Amundsen? Anyways, with smartlink (Android Auto and Apple CarPlay), you can use your phone's navigation into the screen. I've only gone for rear camera, in addition to parking sensors front and rear.

Edited by bigboss
  • Like 1

I’m probably the worst person to give advise on options as I love my toys (hence my name) and I personally would order everything bar the sunroof and towbar.

- 3rd row of seats - this is an optional in Romania Looks like you have no choice here

- area view cameras not much dearer if you want front and rear sensors and a camera... I would get it

- dynamic chassis control it is good, but test drive one without and see if you are happy with the ride

- towing hitch providing you need to tow get it

- heated windscreen - amazing for clearling off snow without a doubt

- bluetooth with phonebox and exterior antenna connection I was sceptical, but it works

- amundsen navi get the best you can afford, they are not just radio / sat nav they are almost the heart of the car

- travel assistant - nice to have Save the money (providing you have something else on the car that uses the camera in the windscreen, like lane change, if you do not then get it) then get the rest turned on with VCDS 

- sport steering wheel with paddle shifter yes

"travel assistant - nice to have Save the money (providing you have something else on the car that uses the camera in the windscreen, like lane change, if you do not then get it) then get the rest turned on with VCDS  "

Hi Gizmo, Could you explain VCDS please . How can you get extra gizmos turned on?

VCDS is an interface (‘cable’) that plugs into the cars OBD port enabling you to do diagnostics and make coding/adaptation changes, many cars are capable of ‘doing’ much more than they come out of the factory with as std, some like travel assistant (which they charge £85 for) can be coded, take a look at the link below for some of the items that can be turned on:

There are several members on Briskoda who own VCDS, a map and list of these members can be found in the link in my signature.

• Like 1

- area view cameras

Actually I believe they are a good opition because:

a. They bring 12 sensors instead of only 8 and sensors can detect objects on left/right side. With 8 senzors those parts are blind spots. Look at the manual!

b. Cameras bring fish-eye 180 degeee front and back view.

c. Great visual control around your car.

I am driving Renault Grand Scenic. French cars are driving comfortly. I've never drove Skoda before my order. Skoda is owned by Germans and I had a bad experiece while testing Opel/Vauxhall Mocca because the ride was TOO FIRM. Because I didn't know how Skoda really drives (and I still don't know how Kodiaq w/o DCC drives), I have ordered DCC that I've tested 3 weeks after ordering. When driving on normal road, there is no difference. But when I've tested driving over speed bumps....wow, comfort really rules, Probably when driving sportly, the sport mode would make suspension better.

Great technology. It is wireless so it doesn't bother you at night. Additionally in summer time it reflects 60% of sun heat and makes temperature 15% beter :) https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsiol.net%2Favtomoto%2Fnovice%2Fvolkswagnovo-gretje-vetrobranskega-stekla-ki-ne-potrebuje-zic-434653&edit-text=

Qi charging is great for smartphones supporting wireless charging. iPhone 8 Will support it, too. External antenna connection sounds great, too. I must test it when my Kodiaq arrives.

- amundsen navi

I've studied that a lot and I've choosen Columbus because I am a gadget geek and I am buying my car every 7-8 years. And I wanted to have a hi-tech car (my Kodiaq is very loaded). But you could easily live with Bolero connected to Android phone and using navi via Android Auto.

I am not sure how does it work outside western EU countries. Kadjar failed big time in Slovenia. I haven't tested it in Kodiaq. And Romania... may be even worse. Check it first, please.

If you want heated windshield and heated seats, then I would also rather take heated steering wheel instead of sporty one. Do you need paddle shifters? You can manually change gears also on the stick.

VERY interesting that you can tern on some options that were not included:)

Romanav, to the above list i would add LED headlights if they are not included already. 

I have bi-Zenons ( sp? ) on a ford and they are fantastic. The  LED,s are supposed to be even better...

Thank you guys you are awesome. Now if someone could help spread the fod cloud in my head, now that'd be great ;)

So DCC still on mind to take for more comfort over bumps as we have plenty in Romania.

Travel assistant - if this can be turned on later, this would be great, it's only 50 eur anyway.

Style package has LED headlights included.

Switching from Amundsen to Columbus is additional 900 eur...

Andy

Assistants can be switched off.

Columbus brings many things compared to Amundsen that w/o them you can easily live on. But if you are a tech freak like me then 9.2", real 3d maps, sim slot, online updates, google earth, dvd, dab+ updates and so on may be worth to have. I don't buy my car annually so I want to have top options for next decade (or less).

3 hours ago, hataricus said:

Yes, I have an Iphone 7+ ..but the Amundsen has it's own satnav right ?

Yes it does. I don't know about Apple maps, but Google maps has points of interest, traffic updates etc. which won't be in the Amundsen as standard.

Edited by bigboss

27 minutes ago, romanv said:

Yes, they are, offered by Tomtom Live.

I like Google Maps for routing but I just can't stand the voice used for the directions. I use Apple Maps exclusively for directions because of this.

5 minutes ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

I like Google Maps for routing but I just can't stand the voice used for the directions. I use Apple Maps exclusively for directions because of this.

You can change the speech rate and pitch in the settings and also intonation (expressive or flat), to modify the voice to your liking. It is also possible to change the voice (female to male).

Screenshot_20170430-132514.png

Screenshot_20170430-132704.png

5 minutes ago, bigboss said:

You can change the speech rate and pitch in the settings and also intonation (expressive or flat), to modify the voice to your liking. It is also possible to change the voice (female to male).

How do I do this on iOS?

Me personaly..I could not go without:

-Full rear LED lights (please check this, rear LED and full rear LED is not the same.

-Foldable co-driver seat. For me a really must have!

-seven seats

-webasto 

-tow bar

-roof rails and roof box

-extended warranty

-variable boot floor

-heated windscreen

I hate kessy, but it is non-choosable....

And I hate electronic hand brake. No manual lever no more. It gives me creeps

Edited by djordje48

Don't forget the most important option, a spare wheel.

Unless this is already standard on the Kodiaq?

No one wants to be sat at the side of a wet, cold and windy motorway with a can of foam and compressor.