Shock Absorbers.

Had my car in for a service yesterday, mechanic flagged up that one of the front shockers has a misting of oil on it, with a quote of £329 to replace the pair of them.......

So, perfect opportunity to buy a set of coil overs. What are peoples recomendations? 2011 FL Octavia vRS

Thanks guys

This may not interest you, but I went with Bilstein B8 shocks on standard springs. Mind you, have had a rear spring break since, so there are a new pair of original rear springs fitted. I found just by upgrading the shocks, the handling was much improved. Another upside, they are not on their own classed as a modification, so no hike in motor insurance.  

18 hours ago, roaddetective said:

This may not interest you, but I went with Bilstein B8 shocks on standard springs. Mind you, have had a rear spring break since, so there are a new pair of original rear springs fitted. I found just by upgrading the shocks, the handling was much improved. Another upside, they are not on their own classed as a modification, so no hike in motor insurance.  

How do you find the ride with the b8? I was looking at the b6 with standard springs but then thought I might just stay b4, as I dont want the car too firm.

28 minutes ago, Ecomatt said:

How do you find the ride with the b8? I was looking at the b6 with standard springs but then thought I might just stay b4, as I dont want the car too firm.

It is not too firm for me, although how firm you can take it is a personal thing. Shall we say I am a few years past 60 and I find it okay. I merely fitted Bilstein sports shocks to give the car more stability over uneven roads when driving at higher speeds. It worked, as the car is far more stable now and gives you more confidence around bends. All I really did was fit far better quality sport shocks to replace the built to a price standard sport shocks.  

• Like 1

comfy ride stock springs + Koni FSD (don't worry, everything gets rusty especially in UK)

compromise Weitec

If you have smooth roads as racing circuit...anything else.

PARADOX is misinformed people want harder springs but masters use as soft as possible and learn to ignore body roll. It is great to have max. theoretical cornering G-forces but soon you realise your car darts over bumps with hard/lowered springs. My car can do 0.8-1.2G in corners...with softer springs you lose perhaps 5% of cornering forces but overall grip will be greater.

I went for custom rally suspension because I don't like car lowering and grinding surface with axle carrier. I don't like spring rates thought. too hard for me and they are just slightly harder than OEM RS. Still have OEM Octavia 2 springs...one day I try them.

don't forget it is always about whole system. I too often see people changing something and then wonder what is going on. Bushing, suspension, geometry and right tires is standard by [removed]. Nothing worst than great suspension with worn, soft OEM bushing and cheap tires worn roof-like style.

Edited by john999boy
Removing non approved link

On 5/2/2017 at 15:44, Damian@DPM said:

You got a budget in mind?

Damian @ DPM Performance 

Thinking upto around £500 max.......

• Sponsor

Ideally you want to have a softer spring with harder damper. That is why I wont lower my car as I dont want a shorter spring with less travel. If you see how much travel a race car has it is suprising and the amount of nose diving under hard braking such as in BTCC.  It always makes me laugh when I see cars so low there is very little travel and see the car bouncing along. It cannot be all that comfy sat in what is effectively a car with no suspension to absorb the bumps.

• Like 1