Octy Mk 2 won't run/ start. Can you help please?

Hey peeps,

Are you able to assist in some way please?  I will try to be as concise as I can.  I have a 2007 Mk 2 Octavia, 2.0 tdi.  It has just over 100,000 as has during my 16 months of ownership performed without fault until recently. The car (having started without problem a driven several miles) refuses to start after a half hour stop.  It appeared as if the battery was flat but srated immediately with a jump start.  I recently drove it on a 500 miles trip without fault but two days ago I drove it to my home and this morning went to start it but it turned over as usual with no strange noises but refused to fire and run.  I changed the battery to a fully charged one and tried again without success.  Strange seeing as apart from a mystery battery discharge (mentioned above) there have been no symptoms.

I asked my friend to assist with his Vag com (if that is what it is called) and I have photographed all of what he mentioned was the relevant info.  I add he is not an expert with the Vag com he simply borrowed it. I have attached the photos of the Vag com readouts.

I appreciate any information and help that you may offer. Thanks

20170503_161230.jpg

20170503_161521.jpg

20170503_154726.jpg

20170503_155040.jpg

20170503_155225.jpg

20170503_155307.jpg

20170503_155333.jpg

20170503_155346.jpg

20170503_155355.jpg

20170503_155409.jpg

20170503_155419.jpg

20170503_155445.jpg

20170503_155516.jpg

20170503_155534.jpg

Doh.. it's obviously not a Vag Com as its a Snap On Solus scanner.  As far as I know there were no fault codes and the engine cranked but showed no signs of firing.  The engine code is BKD.

There is a lot of electrical/comm types faults there. None seem to relate to the engine not running. Diesels are pretty sensitive to good batteries and starter motors. If you are 100% sure the batteries are ok could it be the starter, you need to achieve a certain rpm before the engine can fire. Edit: did you try jumping again.

Edited by TheClient

Thanks for your reply.  The engine is cranking well and the battery had just come off a full charge.  I have not tried jumping simply because there is no presentation of the engine cranking revs dropping or slowing.

I'm guessing really with no diagnostic code relating to engine not starting.  Starter motor if it is not cranking at sufficient speed? VCDS may have a measuring block. Crank sensor.. No fuel - tandem pump or injector problem but would it affect all 4?.  I've never owned a diesel, so expect someone with more hands on experience may be along shortly...

Edited by TheClient

Thanks to 'The Client' for taking the time to try and assist.

I have viewed the attached photos again and report that the Brake Electronics' fault (code 1) on the secong photo relates to a long standing dash warning light for traction control (skidding car) that I have yet to resolve but this has never previously prevented the car starting.

Anybody else have any ideas please?

A mate's Audi A4 s line had this issue last year. It wouldn't start on the works car park after a night shift. As i owned a vrs tdi for a little while i learned a bit about them and knew the throttle body/flap motor was a known fault. They are prone for jamming closed on shut off so the engine can't get air in on the next start up. No fault codes either. So we simply unplugged the motor which resets the flap iirc and it started first time. You could try this before it costs.

the first pic.......no communication with key....are you sure, the battery in the key is okay? Try your second key for starting! Look into the car´s manual how to reset/program  the key for the car....

Sorry about  my technical english...it´s not my mothers tongue :biggrin:

Edited by 0ctavist

On 5/4/2017 at 10:30, meaty101 said:

A mate's Audi A4 s line had this issue last year. It wouldn't start on the works car park after a night shift. As i owned a vrs tdi for a little while i learned a bit about them and knew the throttle body/flap motor was a known fault. They are prone for jamming closed on shut off so the engine can't get air in on the next start up. No fault codes either. So we simply unplugged the motor which resets the flap iirc and it started first time. You could try this before it costs.

Thanks for taking the time to help Meaty101.

Ok, I've now had a degree of success inasmuch as I took off the air filter housing and on the advice of a 'mechanic'..!!..

sprayed 'EasyStart' into the air intake.  It fired first time but as I was told to anticipate it sounded like a bag of spanners.  I let it idle for a minute or two and it rev'd OK but now idles roughly.  I turned it off and it started again first time  (no EasyStart) but idles roughly with a fair bit of white smoke at the exhaust.   So could this be the symptom you mentioned and if so would you please assist me with where and how you reset the flap iirc? Did you reconnect the motor before you started it?  Thanks for your invaluable input.

37 minutes ago, xaviHB said:

Thanks for taking the time to help Meaty101.

Ok, I've now had a degree of success inasmuch as I took off the air filter housing and on the advice of a 'mechanic'..!!..

sprayed 'EasyStart' into the air intake.  It fired first time but as I was told to anticipate it sounded like a bag of spanners.  I let it idle for a minute or two and it rev'd OK but now idles roughly.  I turned it off and it started again first time  (no EasyStart) but idles roughly with a fair bit of white smoke at the exhaust.   So could this be the symptom you mentioned and if so would you please assist me with where and how you reset the flap iirc? Did you reconnect the motor before you started it?  Thanks for your invaluable input.

Just unplugged what I presumed was the throttle flap motor at the front of the engine just in front of the injector shroud/ cover and started it.  Tons of smoke, switched it off, re plugged the throttle flap motor and started it.  Fired first time as normal but wont rev past 3000 at stand still.

This might be helpful. It's on an Audi A6 but same part. I'm sure it acts as an anti shudder valve so it may close the flap on shut down which stops the engine drawing in air. Then opens when switching ignition back on. If it jams on shut off this is why the engine won't start next attempt. Unplug the valve, this should open it, on start up plug back in.