Terkins soarer

TERKIN

been 2 years since my last ancient rwd turbo car so i figured it was time for another financial mistake.

always liked the soarer and the 1jz has been on my engines to own tick list for ages now so when this came up under 100miles away and for less than 3k had to place a bid!

its been wired by a blind man and already left me stranded but its dam fun even on stock boost.

its a 1991 imported 1jz-gte slushbox

30skea8.jpg

mxwo.jpg

1603221.jpg

dzusnr.jpg

fuel consumption is yes it uses lots,dash is whacky too

vxg4rn.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KenONeill said:

It looks good, and I've never actually seen this body shape Soarer before, even in the mags.

ive only ever seen one on the road

you can count the Licensed twin turbo models on one hand!

Edited by TERKIN

16 hours ago, TERKIN said:

ive only ever seen one on the road

you can count the Licensed twin turbo models on one hand!

It's got to be a shoo-in for "Readers' Rides" or equivalent in Banzai and Japanese Performance then?

2 days after i bought it i took it out for a run came back tried to start it and it wouldn't even turn over and was making a quiet beeping sound,it had 3 different leds around the dash and switches.

i assumed it had an after market immobliser fitted so i decided to take the battery off what a bad move that was! the loudest alarm ive ever heard kicked in reminded me of hammonds bmw in the e30 episode. i found the gash harness ripped the earth and live and it fired right up took me under 5 mins to defeat it and im no car thief :D after doing that i lost door locks boot release and the car thought the door was open when the head lights were on. 

set about removing it all and found a true horror story! wires literally twisted and taped into everything

5b74hi.jpg

2jdf28w.jpg

33kwx6p.jpg

ajp9vb.jpg

2ecn3me.jpg

2s1930z.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

trusty kode wheel making its way in to its 4th car

opj6o.jpg

sorted out what was left of the radio loom and got this working,its just resting for now till my cage and trim arrive from murica

sbu649.jpg

ripped this piece of crap out

2rnaiyq.jpg

took it out in the rain for the first time balding jinyu 215s on the rear are good fun :D

i had the lights wipers radio heaters on and all that killed off the alternator 90miles from home. i made it 75miles on the battery before the inevitable happened,2hrs later rac loaned me a battery to get home

9hnoeh.jpg

started stripping to get the alternator off,all bumper bolts and clips

6ps106.jpg

28it0fa.jpg

34in2w3.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

its abit hard to remember what happened and how it happened few bits of what i can remember.

first thing i needed to sort after repairing the wiring and busted alternator  was the interior.It was a mass of no more nails and cracked plastic who ever installed the after market audio in the car had some issues. i managed to find a mint soarer breaking nabbed the doorcards window trims and a fully working heater panel!

2wna0cy.jpg

2h56x35.jpg

zkpgqs.jpg

nice new and minty completely different car

2dmgkrr.jpg

zunin8.jpg

new heater panel and radio cage

kqa1l.jpg

11qu81k.jpg

on to engine new everything ac deleted v6 audi belt slipped straight on after

b653jb.jpg

whguwp.jpg

i then saw a picture of a 1j with twin filters and became obsessed with that idea.

no kit seemed to exist so i made my own which took a lot more time and effort than i had imagined but dam it looks and sounds dam awesome,fitted a fmic the same time.

30dfo2a.jpg

had to make an adapter for the front turbo

2cg08l.jpg

295pzir.jpg

day1

dzusnr.jpg

day now

21cidyc.jpg

Edited by TERKIN
  • Like 2

I've never seen a "real one", but I've seen (Japanese tooled) model kits of Soarers and Supra 4s with that sort of twin filter arrangement, which makes me think there must have been a tuner over there who did them once.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

year has gone by since this has even moved! decided it was time to get it going again

just needed mot prep and interior putting back together lights finally working after the mad rewire

23ie0if.jpg

bought this repeater last may changed it at last

15gs3cx.jpg

paint has taken a hammering some how

fpa0e9.jpg

looking to mot in the next month spray it white and then probably sell it :blink: