Car completely cut out in traffic this morning

Good morning everyone.  I have searched the forum but couldn't find a match for the problem I experienced this morning.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Driving our 66 plate Mk3 L&K DSG Estate in traffic, waiting in the queue at lights.  The engine cut out as normal.  When the lights went green, i went to move off and the car tried to restart but failed.  The dash lights flickered for about 10 seconds, then a KESSY warning light came up saying key not found.  The mirrors folded in.  I had to wave cars past me.  I tried again and got the engine to start, pulled over and waited a few minutes.  All good then.

Five minutes later I stopped to pick up my daughter.  On returning to the car, it wouldn't unlock, then it would, then it locked again.  We got in and got the car started but it was somewhat concerning.

Now an hour later at home it seems fine.

Any ideas on what happened?

Edited by DavidInScotland
Clarification that the car didn't start to move off by itself ;-)

Not had any experince of KESSY but sounds like a communication problem with key.

Try replacing the key fob battery?

Edited by Q102

Not really a solution but I think there's a bit in the manual about holding the key up to the start button in the event of a key not found error, other VAG forums seem to suggest there's some sort of RFID type coil in the key which is picked up by the car but doesn't rely on the key battery to work

Worry is that if it doesn't quickly resolve itself then you presumably can't release the handbrake either to push it to the side of the road.

I would say it's the Battery, since the Light flickering comes from that and the Car wanted to start. If the Key wouldn't be recognized, then it wouldent even try starting.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok.  We used another key but the problem recurred.  The local Skoda Dealer identified that there was a fault with one of the battery cells that was damaged.  The battery was replaced and all problems went away.  I was doubly relieved as the alternative would have been a wiring fault that would have been interesting to locate and fix. 

How do I mark the thread as complete/solved?