Oil Service Due Message

Highlander19

Guest FurryFriend

I ain't touching it. It's fixed... It's not showing when I start the car anymore. The tech has set it for variable servicing, (20,000 miles or 2 years) so until it gets to a more significant mileage, I don't want to see it again. 

That said, it will get the oil dropped, fresh oil and a new filter and sump plug at around 10,000 miles regardless. I don't like dirty oil, and with a new engine I'm sure there will be some swarf. 

Edited by FurryFriend

Guest FurryFriend

I understand that Ken, but having had this thing dinging at me for the past 6 weeks, every time I put the key in, and getting it sorted today, I'm not touching it in case I muck it up. 

I can see from the mileometer when my service is due, that'll do for me. The noise has gone, and that's all that matters to me. 

Full marks to Silbury Motors at Cramlington Newcastle for dealing with it same day despite being mega busy. 

I've got exactly the same issue. My car's 11 months old with under 5000 miles and set to a variable 2-year service. I rang the dealer today who said to ignore the oil service reminder and that it must have been set incorrectly at the factory. He said I could take it to them to reset the reminder, however this would also reset the variable service reminder and start the 2 year countdown again! The chap said as long as there's oil in the car, ignore the reminder every time I start up and they'll reset it properly next June! :dull:

Was that the Principal Dealer you spoke to or some Receptionist at the Service Desk that can not be bothered unless they were given a company perk that kept giving a service warning.

Plenty Dealership employees and now Technicians seem to just blame Skoda CZ rather than the employees in the Dealership accepting the car, 

carrying out a PDI and then handing out vehicles.

If the reason for Service Indicators wrongly indicating then Variable Servicing should not be getting set as a default to keep it simple for Employees 

and making 'Full Dealership Service Histories' more of a joke than they are.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

Was that the Principal Dealer you spoke to or some Receptionist at the Service Desk that can not be bothered unless they were given a company perk that kept giving a service warning.

Plenty Dealership employees and now Technicians seem to just blame Skoda CZ rather than the employees in the Dealership accepting the car, 

carrying out a PDI and then handing out vehicles.

If the reason for Service Indicators wrongly indicating then Variable Servicing should not be getting set as a default to keep it simple for Employees 

and making 'Full Dealership Service Histories' more of a joke than they are.

It was a fella in the servicing department at the dealership. Seems a bit weird that they can't cancel the oil service reminder without resetting all of the other reminders too! I only replenished the oil a month or two ago as the new engine was quite thirsty for the stuff!

They that failed to set a vehicle correctly as it arrived after 'transportation', can change the Oil & filter and sump plug and reset the Service Indicator for the oil changes or just do a 'Minor Service' and then set the Variable Service Interval from then on or Fixed Servicing if the Customer wants.

Just resetting the Service Indicator is unacceptable, well it should be unacceptable but some how Owners are just allowing Main Dealers to get away with doing that.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my free first service today at AC Inverness and they were very helpful and paid for a taxi to take me to my destination.

Reset the schedule to 9400 miles.

Also got replacement rear reflector at last so car looking good.

• Like 1

My last Yeti fired up the service warning after 2 weeks, rang dealer,  I went in when in the area, reset by a techie who stated it had been set up incorrectly prior to delivery. These things happen. It never used a drop of oil in 25,000 miles and 3yrs.

These things do happen, but then Fitters & Technicians keep on having it happen by not doing the job properly, 

and they are doing the PDI.

Like not adjusting the tyre pressures so that they are not put out to customer too high and not that safe.  

Now this does not happen so often with other VW Group main dealerships like Bentley or Porsche, or does it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

These things do happen, but then Fitters & Technicians keep on having it happen by not doing the job properly, 

and they are doing the PDI.

Like not adjusting the tyre pressures so that they are not put out to customer too high and not that safe.  

Now this does not happen so often with other VW Group main dealerships like Bentley or Porsche, or does it?

Yep... my first Yeti's tyres were set at between 42 & 48 psi when I collected it back in 2010.

My current Yeti's tyres were set at.... yes, you've guessed, 45 all round when I collected it in 2016.

Same dealership.... rather suggests that they don't check tyre pressures as part of the PDI.

Guest FurryFriend

I think, in fairness we're all human, and  whilst I absolutely agree that the PDI should be meticulously carried out, we all live in the real world where we know mistakes happen and things get missed or overlooked. 

I learned a very long time ago, to NEVER trust any garage on tyre pressures. That's MY responsibility as a driver. 

13 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

I think, in fairness we're all human, and  whilst I absolutely agree that the PDI should be meticulously carried out, we all live in the real world where we know mistakes happen and things get missed or overlooked. 

I learned a very long time ago, to NEVER trust any garage on tyre pressures. That's MY responsibility as a driver. 

Which is precisely why I checked the pressures as soon as I got home and the tyres had cooled down! (and the coolant level, the oil level, the brake fluid........  !)

FurryFriend,

there is not a huge list of things to be done at a PDI, and putting out a safe to go vehicle is part of the reason for it.

This is a job that some will be doing 5,6 even 7 days a week.

Then the Salesperson responsible for the sale / hand over also works 5,6 or 7 days a week.

If reducing the tyre pressures from what they were in transit is missed even just occasionally, and setting the service indicator, 

and other little items then the Dealership Management are the ones failing in their responsibility to paying customers.

Doing the job correctly takes no longer than wrongly, except many are not being given enough time to be sure all is correctly done, or just not enough training and supervision.

Guest FurryFriend

You're absolutely right, of course, and before I retired,  I know from my own work experiences of the unfair pressures employers can put on staff, leading to corner cutting. 

When we picked our brand new car up in March, the very first thing I did when we got home was to lift the bonnet and check the oil, water, screenwash, brake fluid and tyres. 

I'd never take those things for granted, especially in a brand new car.

Some years ago we were taken for a test drive by a guy who thought he would impress us (he didn't) by showing us how fast the car would go. On return to the garage, and looking the car over, I randomly lifted the dipstick to see how clean the oil was.... a habit of mine to get a clue as to regular maintenance..... Nothing.... and I mean.... Nothing showed. Needless to say we didn't buy it.