Body and interior

How does one clean the leather steering wheel 

and i have a bit of a scratch into the paintwork near the filler cap

needs a bit of a fill and paint

the car is metallic silver 

a practical solution would be welcome 

cheers geof

Scratch - it depends on how deep and how long....  Maybe some photos?

Could use some primer sprayed in rattle can and applied with a fine craft brush and then touch up with base coat (build up in a few layers and finish with lacquer. You could try and flatten it out with very fine wet and dry but I always feel for small touch ups you can make it more obvious if you are not really good at it and not damaging the surrounding paint / lacquer.

If it is a lot worse than that and you are talking about really needing filler, that is a bit beyond my capabilities. You'd probably have to sand back a larger area, fill, sand back and spray primer/ base / lacquer but doing a home DIY job the blending and paint match probably not perfect unless you are very experienced and have very good paint match and blending skills. 

thanks

i will photo it tomorrow...but here is the spiel in advance

its not big but to me unsightly and easily seen right at the filler cap

the depth is into the primer but i dont think the metal

i have tried doing metallic touch ups and unfortunately used spray..gold on a rover SDI

result...panic

took too long to get it right hence my practical method query

i think may be a skim of filler but i will wait for your qualified advice tomorrow

really appreciate the response

ps...i did my sons car ..non metallic..and sprayed into the cap and used a little brush to do pointy type deposits..

it didnt seem to match too well..

cheers for now

geof

6 minutes ago, Fin69 said:

I use this procedure for cleaning the steering wheel;

http://youtu.be/9YC9myVlEsY

I'm only posting the procedure, use whatever cleaner you prefer. 

thats good and practical..just what i need

what cleaner would you use...i dont mind buying the one on the youtube although i am not an autoglym fan for other items and use bilt hamber...their clay doesnt need oil just water...i add squeezy to take off the old polish

cheeers

geof

23 hours ago, TheClient said:

Scratch - it depends on how deep and how long....  Maybe some photos?

Could use some primer sprayed in rattle can and applied with a fine craft brush and then touch up with base coat (build up in a few layers and finish with lacquer. You could try and flatten it out with very fine wet and dry but I always feel for small touch ups you can make it more obvious if you are not really good at it and not damaging the surrounding paint / lacquer.

If it is a lot worse than that and you are talking about really needing filler, that is a bit beyond my capabilities. You'd probably have to sand back a larger area, fill, sand back and spray primer/ base / lacquer but doing a home DIY job the blending and paint match probably not perfect unless you are very experienced and have very good paint match and blending skills. 

here are two photos

one showing the position relative to the filler cap and one a sort of close up

hope you can help

i know its a little b****r but i hate those nicks and knacks which grate on my mind

cheers

geof

SK11.jpg

SK222.jpg

Good photos.  Fuel fill nozzle accident?  It's not so bad, on close up, as you say it looks like it is certainly not through to metal. It is a bit hard to tell if it has broken the lacquer everywhere.  It has certainly scraped up some paint to the scratch edges. Doesn't seem to be a dent.

I'd probably try first with a quality scratch remover and see how well it comes up.  Search some detailing forums for recommended products, cleanyoucar dot co uk have a big range of products.  I have used meguiars scratch x before. It was ok, not amazing, think there may be better available.  Try to keep to the area of the scratch and not rub out a wider area.

If you are not happy with that, then you are going to have to try and smooth the edges of the scratch and in the scratch a bit with some fine wet and dry grades and then cut in, maybe with some addition of paint and clear coat, but you will probably see it.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1310803

See this thread from someone who seems to do car detailing  / scratch removal as a profession. If you could find a good one, you could try a paint repairer/ smart repairer to do the task as linked in thread.. Risky though without some recommendations, the results can be hit and miss if someone is not up to the task.

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1

Thanks TC

i think i will have a go to reduce its prominence to my eye

its not a big deal i know but i am going over this second hand vehicle ... new to me to get a good shine and clean interior

there are a few little mini dings where the paint isnt broken...those can stay as they are as the car is 9 years old

cheers

geof