BMW 220d Xdrive Gran Tourer M-Sport

Coops

Got one of these for the weekend, need the 7 sevens and have swapped with a colleague (He has my Superb).

It's a £30k plus car so actually comparable with my Superb on price.

I'll update with my thoughts on it after the weekend.

Initial impression - lots of space, roomy, powerful, nice gearbox (auto 8), uncomfortable seats, over complicated tech.

bmw2seriesgrantourer0.thumb.jpg.4ba47c53020111c749003f4b45dba765.jpg

Missed out "Ugly"

I've no idea why BMW thought it was a good idea to dilute the brand with a fwd van. Ok I do people buy them (but that's no excuse).

• Like 2

Drove one for a week around Italy and fell in love with it, I agree it is ugly but it was really smooth, nice to drive and plenty of room for a family of 6. This was after owning my VRS for a few weeks, made me want to swap for a BMW but I can't afford one and I'm more then happy with my Skoda :) 

Now driven about 100 miles in the 2 Series, so here are some thoughts:

First up the likes:

• Gearbox - very smooth, it's 8 speed and you genuinely don't know when it changes. My Superb almost seems agricultural in comparison
  • Head Up Display - yeah it looks awful but is actually quite useful IMO
  • Sunroof - makes the interior more airy, and I've switched the aircon off this morning and had the sunroof tilted

Now the bits I don't like:

• Seats - awful. Uncomfortable. Base isn't wide enough. 
  • Technology - OK it's got sat nav (but that's over complicated with too many colours), but there is no media jukebox, SD slots or anything. I don't own any CDs to put in it so I'm stuck with the radio.

12 minutes ago, Coops said:

Now driven about 100 miles in the 2 Series, so here are some thoughts:

First up the likes:

• Gearbox - very smooth, it's 8 speed and you genuinely don't know when it changes. My Superb almost seems agricultural in comparison
  • Head Up Display - yeah it looks awful but is actually quite useful IMO
  • Sunroof - makes the interior more airy, and I've switched the aircon off this morning and had the sunroof tilted

Now the bits I don't like:

• Seats - awful. Uncomfortable. Base isn't wide enough. 
  • Technology - OK it's got sat nav (but that's over complicated with too many colours), but there is no media jukebox, SD slots or anything. I don't own any CDs to put in it so I'm stuck with the radio.

These 8 speed gearboxes are amazing smooth and responsive. Coming from the Skoda 6 speed DSG to the BMW 8 speed was a revelation.

The seats are narrow and don't suit wide backsides. Make sure the seat hasn't been narrowed with the switch on the side of the seat that squeezes in the bolsters.

Even the base models normally come with USB and audio jack under the armrest. You can play direct from a USB pen up 32gb or connect your phone. I wouldn't be surprised if you bluetooth streaming too.

Totally agree with everyone else though, it's ugly and I'm not sure the chief designer (its mother) could love it. 

7 minutes ago, CWARD said:

These 8 speed gearboxes are amazing smooth and responsive. Coming from the Skoda 6 speed DSG to the BMW 8 speed was a revelation.

The seats are narrow and don't suit wide backsides. Make sure the seat hasn't been narrowed with the switch on the side of the seat that squeezes in the bolsters.

Even the base models normally come with USB and audio jack under the armrest. You can play direct from a USB pen up 32gb or connect your phone. I wouldn't be surprised if you bluetooth streaming too.

Totally agree with everyone else though, it's ugly and I'm not sure the chief designer (its mother) could love it. 

I'm not massive but do have wide thighs and it's that part which is pressing on the bolsters. I've noticed some buttons on the seat side so will have a look.

There is a USB socket but I've been using that for charging. Any idea what format the music would need to be in, standard MP3 I guess?

I have USB pens in MP3 at 256kbps which all play fine. It won't play Apple AAC files from a USB pen but will from the iphone, go figure:blink:

When you first plug in audio storage and go to it in the menu it takes a while to read it. After that it pretty fast and searchable too.

Edited by CWARD

Some music apps will talk to the car i.e. Amazon Music (iTunes I assume will).

Does it have the 'pro' navigation with the bigger screen? I find the sat nav quite good and the traffic updates are useful. I like being able to do the route lookup on my phone and sending it to the car. Apparently the concierge will do this for you but I've never used it.

I find the seats ok but I don't have the electric ones, I'm assuming only those have the adjustable bolsters (and lumbar).

There is a 20Gb drive in the car as well but I've never got round to loading it up with anything. I've just used my phone and the Amazon Music app.

The info system has crashed a few times on me but it is quite quick to reboot. It'll update on the fly as well but you'd be best to have a decent 3G signal.

Edited by Aspman

27 minutes ago, Aspman said:

Some music apps will talk to the car i.e. Amazon Music (iTunes I assume will).

Does it have the 'pro' navigation with the bigger screen? I find the sat nav quite good and the traffic updates are useful. I like being able to do the route lookup on my phone and sending it to the car. Apparently the concierge will do this for you but I've never used it.

I find the seats ok but I don't have the electric ones, I'm assuming only those have the adjustable bolsters (and lumbar).

There is a 20Gb drive in the car as well but I've never got round to loading it up with anything. I've just used my phone and the Amazon Music app.

The info system has crashed a few times on me but it is quite quick to reboot. It'll update on the fly as well but you'd be best to have a decent 3G signal.

I've sorted some music - USB stick, MP3 :thumbup:

The screen is quite large so I suspect it's the Pro version. Map just looks a bit messy IMO.

Seats are manual in this, there is a rocker switch on the right hand side but it doesn't appear to do anything?

Just now, Coops said:

Seats are manual in this, there is a rocker switch on the right hand side but it doesn't appear to do anything?

That squeezes in the seat bolsters to hold you tight whilst "pushing on", everyone else is free to be flung around the cabin.

8 hours ago, Coops said:

I've sorted some music - USB stick, MP3 :thumbup:

The screen is quite large so I suspect it's the Pro version. Map just looks a bit messy IMO.

Try playing with the split screen options.

I just found that rocker button, didn't know it was there. It's an air pump. There are bladders in the bolsters. firms them up or lets the air out.

31 minutes ago, Aspman said:

Try playing with the split screen options.

I just found that rocker button, didn't know it was there. It's an air pump. There are bladders in the bolsters. firms them up or lets the air out.

Tried the button without engine running and it did nothing. Works when running, really grips with the bolsters firmed up. But doesn't do anything to the bottom bolsters.

Had it running in Sport chassis mode and Sport gearbox - God this thing shifts. Bit twitchy when pressing on through the lanes, must remember this is an MPV

Xdrive is nothing like as sweet to drive as the normal rwd cars. But I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages

Thought I'd follow this up following the weekend when we actually used the car in anger!

We needed to get 6 people in it (4 adults, 2 kids) plus overnight luggage plus booze and presents. Initially we were going sit the lads in the back and put the luggage inside, but there was such little leg room in the back for my lads that we decided to only have one in there. The 7th seat in the boot wasn't raised and we put the two small suitcases there. There is a little space under the boot floor so shoes were put in there, a couple of crates of booze were put behind the 6th seat.

So 2 adults up front, 2 adults and 1 kid behind, then 1 kid in the boot! Once we'd sorted that lot out and moved the rear bench to give the lad in the back a little bit more comfort, we were off. Now this is where the Gran Tourer really works - effortless driving non stop from the Midlands down to Kent. Plenty of power on tap for overtaking. Journey back will similarly uneventful, except with slightly less to carry.

In summary, it's a nice car to drive but then it is a BMW. I don't particularly like it, especially the styling. Interior is a bit drab and boring - the armrest looks like it's come out a Mk1 Fabia. I still can't figure out the start/stop button - you press it to start, press it to stop but then the radio and everything stays on. I try to press it again to switch everything off but the engine starts, GGGRRRRR!

I guess it's a means to an end if you need the space but I think there are better vehicles on the market for a similar price point.

On 2017-5-22 at 10:09, Coops said:

In summary, it's a nice car to drive but then it is a BMW. I don't particularly like it, especially the styling. Interior is a bit drab and boring - the armrest looks like it's come out a Mk1 Fabia. I still can't figure out the start/stop button - you press it to start, press it to stop but then the radio and everything stays on. I try to press it again to switch everything off but the engine starts, GGGRRRRR!

The start/stop button is a mystery! I've just taken to stopping the engine and then locking the doors. This seems to sort things out.

How they make it so confusing I don't know - it's fine in my sister's R56 MINI - they've managed to go backwards somehow!

On 22/05/2017 at 10:09, Coops said:

I still can't figure out the start/stop button - you press it to start, press it to stop but then the radio and everything stays on. I try to press it again to switch everything off but the engine starts, GGGRRRRR!

I guess it's a means to an end if you need the space but I think there are better vehicles on the market for a similar price point.

Lol yes it's easy to do.

To start  - Foot on brake, and hit 'start' to start.

To stop - Foot on brake hit 'start' to stop and leave the radio and fans on (like turning a normal key one notch). To turn the radio and fans etc off take your foot off the brake and press 'start'. If you leave your foot on the brake it'll start again.

What I think you're meant to do.

1. Pull up at destination, hard (no indicators clearly, I mean FFS you're in a beemer).
  2. Hit 'start' to switch off the engine and pull on the handbrake. Car will stick itself in P
  3. Get out & lock car, it'll switch everything off for you.

The start stop is pretty aggressive tbh, I switch it off at junctions since it can stop you nipping out into smaller gaps.

And the auto lights are a bit shoite too. They never go off except in blazing sun. It's like a second 'on' switch.

And the auto wipers are shoite. they have about 5 levels of sensitivity going from "Ultra super sensitive detect water in the desert at 100mile" to "Really feckin sensitive, wipers on full if someone sneezes within 50m"

Give me good old intermittent with manual control.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Aspman said:

The start stop is pretty aggressive tbh, I switch it off at junctions since it can stop you nipping out into smaller gaps.

And the auto lights are a bit shoite too. They never go off except in blazing sun. It's like a second 'on' switch.

And the auto wipers are shoite. they have about 5 levels of sensitivity going from "Ultra super sensitive detect water in the desert at 100mile" to "Really feckin sensitive, wipers on full if someone sneezes within 50m"

Give me good old intermittent with manual control.

Switched it off completely, does my head in.

I was surprised that it only had halogen lights, not xenon. They came on really late coming through the Dartford Tunnel but then didn't seem to switch off until Milton Keynes!

Luckily didn't have cause to use the wipers!

3 hours ago, Coops said:

Switched it off completely, does my head in.

I was surprised that it only had halogen lights, not xenon. They came on really late coming through the Dartford Tunnel but then didn't seem to switch off until Milton Keynes!

Luckily didn't have cause to use the wipers!

Yeah they switched the options pack to directional LEDs or standard halogens. I think the LEDs are about £1500

I've had xenons and wasn't overly impressed. tbh I'm happy to have lights that work and bulbs aren't a grand a side.

All these types of vehicle, no matter what make are butt ugly due to the tallness but they are pretty practical, my Golf SV is only a 5 seater but the rear leg room is absolutely huge even with me at 6'4" and almost lying down :) with the seats slide forward there is loads compared to a standard Golf. I hate the look of mine but love the space.

On 29/05/2017 at 00:30, RobClubley said:

Man that think is ugly.

I agree on BMW's 8 speed, it's excellent.

It'll still clunk 1-2 or 2-1. It's got a bad habit of shifting down at the same time as the start-stop switches the engine off which can make for a nasty thump.

On the move 2nd+  the 8 speed is sublime. But to overtake smoothly you do need to knock it down 1 or 2 or wait for the kick down (it did kick down 3 gears once which wasn't very pleasant). They have thought of this though and the car will let you run it manual shift for a bit before switching back to auto. I've rarely bothered with the manual option.

the 4 modes  -

Eco ( or Sh|te mode) -  which saves no fuel but makes the car crap to drive and turns bits of the dash blue

Comfort (Or normal) -  98% of the time just stick it there and leave alone

Sport (or joining a NSL road mode) - Puts a smile on your face as fast as it empties the tank, which is fast. You can hear the diesel going out the tank like a bathtub draining.

Sport+ (or insurance fraud mode) - Sport with added stupid.

Edited by Aspman

1 minute ago, CWARD said:

You may need to reset your gearbox learning mode as it sounds like you've had an old granny driving it. 

Sometimes you can't beat having a clutch.