Hard pedal

When braking a bit sharply or firmly does anybody experience their brake pedal being hard like there's no vacuum in the system? I get it sometimes if I have to brake a bit suddenly like on the motorwayand there's suddenly a bit of traffic infront.

Wondered if it was a characteristic of the vehicle or there's a common theme and I need a new vac pump. No hissing noise if I hold my foot on the brake pedal.

Thanks in advance.

It's happened to mine once or twice, scared the life out of me! No idea what caused it though as couldn't find anything wrong.

22 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Possibly the vacuum non-return valve is sticking open.

Ah, thanks. Will look at that.

Have ordered a new servo pipe which comes with non-return valve. It's a bloody dangerous fault when it occurs. I nearly rear-ended a car last time but the servo kicked in right at the last minute causing me to come to a violent stop.

Hmmm, skodaparts.com gave me the wrong part number, which I went and ordered at another skoda dealer on ebay because they were cheaper. They gave me 6Q2612041AL when the correct one is 6Q2612041E

EDIT: It's all sorted now. They are changing the order and sending me the right one.

Edited by TMB

I used to have it when I used to run EBC yellowstuff stuff. Braking hard from motorway speed they sometimes, very rarely though made the pedal go really hard and have no stopping ability, even when having 2 feet pushing as hard as I could. 

Swapped to brembo pads and have never had this problem since. 

Worth a thought. 

13 hours ago, Chrishrvs said:

Can you let me know how you get on please:D

Of course, but since it only does it once in a blue moon you might be waiting a while :tongueout:

7 hours ago, stevobeavo said:

I used to have it when I used to run EBC yellowstuff stuff. Braking hard from motorway speed they sometimes, very rarely though made the pedal go really hard and have no stopping ability, even when having 2 feet pushing as hard as I could. 

Swapped to brembo pads and have never had this problem since. 

Worth a thought. 

Before I started driving mine I put pads and discs on, I wonder hmmmmm.

Nice new pipe. Too bloody hot outside to fit it yet though :excl:

3456657.png

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/05/2017 at 12:29, TMB said:

Nice new pipe. Too bloody hot outside to fit it yet though :excl:

3456657.png

Hey there, how have you found your brakes to be since fitting the new pipe? 

Any more :blink: moments?

50 minutes ago, Chrishrvs said:

Hey there, how have you found your brakes to be since fitting the new pipe? 

Any more :blink: moments?

It has not missed a beat so far :)

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

My 2004 skoda fabia 1.9 tdi did this last night was ready to bail out  I pulled over and they came back on so is it the pipe I cannot see much under the bonnet and have no mechanical knowledge so don't know what to look for 

It could be the pipe yes. They can develop splits in the plastic, or the non-return valve might be playing up. Mine has never done it again since replacing the pipe. The other possibility is a faulty vacuum pump on a diesel, or even the servo itself. however I would think this more unlikely.

1 minute ago, Ams1970 said:

Thanks for your help.was wondering though if it was a pipe would it not be doing it all the time brakes seem fine today 

Well if it's the non-return valve which is all part of the pipe it could be failing intermittently. Also cracked pipes can sometimes cause intermittent failure

Thanks for the video I was looking at the other side do you know if it will be on the same side as video on the fabia looks easy enough to replace if I can find it lol