Towbar queries

Finally have my new Fabia monte estate 110ps and looking into the possibilities of towing a small lightweight caravan either an eriba puck or familia they come in at 700 - 800kg and logbook says I'm good to tow up 1200kg braked.

Thats said I have two queries - firstly has anyone had experience towing anything similar to this with any success?

Secondly can anyone recommend a good tow bar/fitter? I've looked into it and most are not listed as suitable for the MC and I want to avoid having any visible nasty holes cut in my nice new bumper! 

Skoda do their own tow bar which has a removable hitch.  A hole is cut in the bumper which is filled with a clip in panel when the hitch is removed. There are pictures in the handbook (mine is an early car, so not sure if the handbook will still show it) showing installation and removal of the hitch.  The clip in panel is a pretty good fit, so although it's not invisible, it is not immediately noticeable.

I have a removable Skoda towbar fitted. The hole is indeed covered with a plastic panel, which fits good and is painted the same color as the bumper. As it is on the lower side of the bumper, it is really not visible unless you really look for it. In fact, when I took delivery of the car I was very close to start complaining about the ordered towbar not being fitted :)

I have not towed anything that heavy, only unbreaked boat trailers weighing about 400-500 kg. The weight is noticable, but since I have not driven a "real" towing car+trailer, I really do not have anything to compare with. 

I don't think the factory removable tow bar with cover works with Monte. As the rear diffuser is clued to the rear bumper making it slightly thicker (and the diffuser is only glued form the edges, so if you cut straight through the the cutout edges will be loose i think). You have to cut through 2 layers of plastic instead of one by hand. The base bumper is same for all so it should have markings inside the bumper where to cut, though. I know that there are tow bar cutout covers with attachment frames available for other (older) models, but havent seen it for mk3 separately.

There are aftermarket ones that dont need cutouts:

and some of them come with their own cover: https://www.mvg-ahk.de/en/Towbars/SKODA/Fabia/Fabia-III-estate-11-2014/3325-AS.html?force_sid=86685f52abca24b16093a7559059718b

• 2 years later...

I have literally had a detachable tow bar fitted yesterday! I have messaged Skoda directly to find out what covers are available for the mkiii Monte Carlo bracsue I'm struggling to find a cover for the hole that was needed to be cut. There must be something out there because you can select a tow bar in the Monte brand new from the dealer 

• 2 weeks later...

I have literally had a detachable tow bar fitted yesterday! I have messaged Skoda directly to find out what covers are available for the mkiii Monte Carlo bracsue I'm struggling to find a cover for the hole that was needed to be cut. There must be something out there because you can select a tow bar in the Monte brand new from the dealer 

Skoda do offer a cover for the Monte kombi! I finally got a reply form our local garage! They are going to send me an email with unpainted part for only £6 

• 6 months later...
On 14/01/2020 at 02:54, Shawry85 said:

Skoda do offer a cover for the Monte kombi! I finally got a reply form our local garage! They are going to send me an email with unpainted part for only £6 

What brand towbar did you get fitted? Also do you have a photo of it installed?

I'm looking to fit one to my Monte Carlo and it would be great to see the finished product before I order one.