A year ago today...

I didn't think of it at the time, so am lacking photos. But what I will do later is link to relevant information on the forum, as pretty much all the mods have been inspired by what other people have done.

Great write up and given me a couple of ideas. Also want to upgrade my stereo. Was thinking focal 2.1 under seat sub with built in amp to also power the front speakers which i  would also replace with something better.

Edited by Kahunajb

You would need something to adapt the speaker line input to something suitable for the amp. That's what the Bit One does for me. Takes the speaker line input and then supplies a suitable line out.

I have the remote control for the Bit One in the drivers cubby.

6 hours ago, WayTooTall said:

The bad and the niggly

2) Fuel Economy. I average around 50mpg, but feel that I should be able to get more from the engine, but it can be really tricky to get it into a good cruise. It happens sometimes, but I can't do it consistently.

A very good precis of your experience but I think you're very fortunate to get 50mpg from the diesel.

Look in the forum and you'll find that (apart from the fanboys) most of us struggle(d) to get above 43mpg.

Edited by SkodaVRS1963

Useful links for the various mods I have done.

Rear Camera, all the info you need is in this thread

Painted Skoda Emblem

Storage Bin Under the Front Seat, and I had to undo the seat bolts, tilt the seat back to fit the thing. 

Bonnet Lifters

Dashcams

LED Front Indicators

Footwell Lighting

Think that is about it. 

And always happy to answer questions.

Edited by WayTooTall
Just wanted to add a bit more to the post
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

A very good precis of your experience but I think you're very fortunate to get 50mpg from the diesel.

Look in the forum and you'll find that (apart from the fanboys) most of us struggle(d) to get above 43mpg.

Helps that I do a lot of A road and motorway driving, though I suspect the 800W+ of stereo in the back isn't helping my economy at times either.

I do find it easier to get more consistent economy at 80mph rather than 70mph.

I should also talk about the options / features on the car

1) Front Assist - So far it has only beeped at me a couple of times, so can't really comment.

2) Adaptive Cruise Control - Great in motorway 50 zones. Set it to 55 and follow the car in front. Speeds up and slows down with the traffic. Now here is the bit they don't tell you about. If you need wheel alignment, and I did after having the springs done I did, if your read alignment needs adjusting (and I think it might be specific to rear toe), you need to have the ACC sensor recalibrated. Very few garages can do it. When you find a dealer who can do it, they want to charge £450 for the alignment and recalibration. Instead I found a place in Bristol that can do it for £220. So great option but with a nasty gotcha.

3) Amundsen Sat Nav, MIB1. It it OK but isn't that fast. But like the fuel station finder.

4) Lane Assist - I leave it on, as I don't find it too interfering, and has been occasionally useful. Just wish the pressure sensor on the steering wheel was more sensitive.

5) Black pack. Got to love that Black Pack look. Just wish they had done the Emblems and Exhausts as well.

6) Hill Hold. I live in Sheffield. Lots of hills and find this fabulous.

36 minutes ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

Really? You haven't mentioned it before.

12215635.jpg

What's the sub?

I used to have Series 3 genesis until it all got nicked years ago. Look after them!

Edited by Mallettsmallett
  • Like 3

The sub is a Shadowworks Bronze. Made by a guy in Glasgow and was doing a deal on them for Ford Focus Owners Club. Actually a nice sub, which is why I carried it over from the Focus. I don't think he makes them anymore, which is a shame.

And I love my Genesis Amps. worked my way from a Profile 4, Profile 5, Series III 5 channel (which got nicked), and when I reported the stolen serial number to Geoff at Genesis, he came back and told me he had the 4 Channel and Mini Block available at a good price, so couldn't resist.

Before having them refitted into the VRS, I sent them off to www.ampdoctor.co.uk for a service / clean up. / upgrade. (Long story, short Geoff sold Genesis, but now repairs amp as The Amp Doctor). 

So yes, they will be well taken care of.

• Like 1

Used to read a lot on the TalkAudio forum a few years ago, and did the install into my Focus on my own. So picked up a reasonable understanding, 

Bet that system sounded nice, you must have been so ****ed when it was knicked. Glad that mine all sits in the wheel well. Really stealth install. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Tight to get off the exhaust tips then?

So used the paint the listed in this thread

On the drivers side you need to loosen or take off a underbody panel, which is easy enough. Also undo the screws holding the bottom of the rear valence, as you will need to pull that out a little occasionally. Then it really is a head under the car task to work out not only where the torx screws are but how to get a screwdriver to them. Then on the passenger side it takes a bit of work to remove it, because it envelops the real exhaust tip. 

Then I think I tried to put them back in to quickly after painting (I needed the car first thing the following day) and scratched the tops of them. But created a little shroud and sprayed the tops again.

For £16 (I needed a second can for the top up) it is worth the swearing. 

• Like 1