Drone when steering

Not being particularly experienced with Octavia's (although I have had quite a few Fabias previously), I have a noise which is becoming more annoying which I hope some of you may be able to help with.

The car is an ASZ PD130 Mk1 Octavia estate L&K, 137,000 miles on the clock.

The noise is a "Wowing" or a slight drone, which sounds like it is at wheel speed, when traveling at low speeds. It does it steering in either direction. The noise starts the moment I am moving while steering, the noise will continue until you straighten up. It does not make it when stationary even if you steer lock to lock.

I have:

- Checked wheel bearings (front and rear) slight noise on the rear O/S but it is minimal. all others feel fine.

- Swapped wheels front to rear, (if a wheel or tyre was out of round), fault persisits

- I have tried coasting in neutral, or giving it more rev's (to check if it is some how related to the PAS pump)

The car supposedly had a new Steering rack in January, just before I bought it, however it doesn't it look that new, nor like its even been taken out and reconditioned.

As its a drone/wowing noise, all i can think of is either a wheel bearing (which seem fine), or a diff bearing. I have not touched the gearbox oil as it is supposed to be sealed for life, I doubt it would be driveshaft related as it is not a knock or clunk noise.

Has anyone had a similar issue before? Id rather not fire the Parts cannon at the car as it is a cheap and practical daily hack!

Edited by Taylor93

I had similar to this butas Paul says above was most noticable at stand still just turning the steeringwheel. My problem was a nackered tie rod end. Could practically pinpoint the sound when gotsomeone to turn the steering while i listened beside wheels

I would look at the CV joints on the drive shafts as you only get the noise when the car is in motion.