Possibly Towing electrics fault

Hi all,

Having changed from a 2003 Mk1 Octavia Estate to a 2011 Mk 2 Octavia Estate one of my first tasks was to fit a towbar, having done so on the previous one.

I have used a universal wiring kit with the bypass relay, which is connected correctly as the trailer lights all work properly.

In the last week or so I have started getting the bulb failure light on the dashboard, and the left hand indicator repeater on the dash flashes quickly... A quick check outside and the indicators are flashing normally. Sometimes the dash repeater goes back to normal, but the light stays on. Usually turning the ignition off and restarting the car clears the light from the dash.

My thoughts are that the bypass relay is faulty, as it clicks with the indicators and also when I brake it clicks on and off. The unit in the previous car didn't do that, though that was a different style of relay.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Simon

The bulb warning system is quite sensitive to current load. If you've used scotchloks to tie into the existing vehicle wiring this could cause problems with the bulb warning system. You're better off using a CANBUS compatible towing controller, even if they do cost more.

Tried Scotchlocks but they didn't even cut the insulation! Had a rethink and came up with a solution, but I might have to make soldered connections. I have a test lead for towing electrics and plugging that into the socket and all works as it is supposed to...

It doesn't do it all the time, just occasionally, which is even more frustrating...

• 5 years later...

I have a similar issue with a 2010 estate I have just purchased. The light didn't come on during the test drive however now I get a bulb failure light and the left indicator tell tale in the dash lights up dimly. Can anyone offer any ideas.

Ok so after reading a few other threads and with a little ingenuity for testing the brake lights alone, it appears it's the high level brake light causing the issue. 

Using a piece of timber braced between seat and brake pedal I then went round the back an low and behold eye level brake light not working. Couple of taps on it saw it flick on and off.

Going to try removing it to see if I can open it and resolder it tomorrow if not I'll be buying a replacement