312 and 256 caliper upgrade

I bought old S3 8L brakes to upgrade mine on the VRS, the front fit fine but the rears, the carrier doesnt fit on and it has a gap between the hub. I know that peope have done the mk1 octavia VRS brakes and fitted fine.

I want to know if people have had this problem and if it is just the carrier that is different?? was hoping i could just get a different carrier as i have already put new seals in pistons

Cheers

Edited by FullerVRS

31 minutes ago, hutchysrs50 said:

So the rears are from a 4WD platform and your fitting them on a FW platform, they don't work.

You need a front wheel drive set like the Octavia Vrs, anni golf etc

Yer I knew after I got them but I want to know if I can swap the carrier off another 256mm caliper like the golf mk4, ocatavia VRS mk1 etc and it would fit with the S3 caliper

19 hours ago, hutchysrs50 said:

Should do yeah, calipers are the same, carriers are different.

same with the fronts if you check, standard 288 calipers are same as the 312 upgrade just different carriers 

got any for sale? haha

On 2017-5-30 at 22:05, hutchysrs50 said:

Should do yeah, calipers are the same, carriers are different.

same with the fronts if you check, standard 288 calipers are same as the 312 upgrade just different carriers 

So your saying my original calipers are the same it's just carriers that are different? So I bought calipers for no reason?

Yes :D I'm afraid so.

compare them yourself and see.

Heres some i fitted for a customer a few weeks back on a 2013 Fabia Monte Carlo, same calipers fitted to any 105+ Bhp Fabia 1.4 tsi, 1.6 CR etc...

Standard still fitted and Audi TT 312mm new painted in red.

IMG_2750.jpg

Only thing it is really hard to get carriers by themeself, i even tried lots of after market companies for them and they dont do them. Best option is buying them complete then sell the caliper

1 hour ago, hutchysrs50 said:

Yes :D I'm afraid so.

compare them yourself and see.

Heres some i fitted for a customer a few weeks back on a 2013 Fabia Monte Carlo, same calipers fitted to any 105+ Bhp Fabia 1.4 tsi, 1.6 CR etc...

Standard still fitted and Audi TT 312mm new painted in red.

IMG_2750.jpg

Brilliant spent a fortune buying new and cleaning them up new seals ect and powder coating

21 hours ago, hutchysrs50 said:

That's right yeah. Also the retaining spring clips that help pull the caliper into the carrier are different from 288 to 312 so an extra cost ontop of just carriers as well.

How different are we talking, picking up carriers on Tuesday but no springs clips available. If I need them il have to try get some from vw or audi tomorrow in work. 

You could bend the 288 ones to curve more at each end but chances are they will just pop off.

euro car parts sell some sizes but I've never checked which ones they stock, I just know they do sell caliper spring clips.

but basically to keep things simple they are different enough to not fit and that's enough of a reason to get the right ones :)

Just now, hutchysrs50 said:

You could bend the 288 ones to curve more at each end but chances are they will just pop off.

euro car parts sell some sizes but I've never checked which ones they stock, I just know they do sell caliper spring clips.

but basically to keep things simple they are different enough to not fit and that's enough of a reason to get the right ones :)

Sounds good enough to me il order some new ones or try get hold of 312mm ones make sure it's right first time,

thank you 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GenePoolReject said:

Can I ask, roughly how much would it cost to get all the parts together to upgrade the front and rear brakes on a VRS?

I paid £130 for front and rear calipers, then got new seals, bleed nipples and powered coated. cost about £250/£300

In this case i i shouldn't bother refurbishing the octi mk1 VRs calipers for my mk2 VRs and just do the carriers from the octi and use them with 312 disk's.

i'm so glad i read this before forking out extra money on refurbishing calipers that are already on my car lol!

Alright boys- just to muddy the waters......

would I be right in thinking that to do a 256mm rear conversion I'd need both calipers and carriers off a mk1 Octavia vrs?

Just with that conversion it uses vented rear discs and will presumeably need a deeper caliper than the stock mk2 Fabia vrs solid disc caliper?

or am I wrong!?  If I can use my exiting rear calipers with octy carriers/discs and pads that'll be a bonus! :)

cheers!

Picked up my 312mm carriers last night shall try get some pictures when doing the swap and see if it works.

Got a mk2 Monte Carlo trying to go from 288mm to 312mm with just carriers as I still don't know what I need. But stabbing in the dark carriers were £40 :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hutchysrs50 said:

You need both yes, you can't use any old parts for the 256 rears, need bigger calipers and carriers 

Thought so, thanks!

Don't suppose you know anyone in the north east with any for sale.... ;)

• Like 1