Headlamp & MOT

glenn_btn

Ok MOT due shortly and noticed the O/S headlamp has a bit of wobble so guessing the bracket has a crack or something. I have looked at the picture for removing the bumper and can't really make head or tail where the screws, bolt etc are.

1. What are the rules with the MOT. I have wedged a piece if card between the top of the headlamp and the cross member and there is now no wobble. Presuming I can do something better with a fix, would it still fail being it's not moving?

2. Any advise where all the screws & bolts are to be removed to get the bumper off. Can't believe you need to remove a bumper to get the headlamp out.

Thanks

Glenn

If the light is not secure it should fail, plus by wedging it are you sure that the aim is now correct. If not that is a definite fail.

Removing the bumper to remove lights is quite common across lots of cars. Don't forget that on your model the headlight and fog/DRL light are one unit, so enclosed by the bumper. 

There has been a previous thread on here with a full exploded diagram of where all the screws and clips are, but I can't link to it, sorry. 

On 5/31/2017 at 15:53, Frenchtone said:

was it not the guy who lived near bromyard but now up in Scotland, can't think of his name maybe someone can!

KBPhoto is the chap I believe you are thinking of, although I think it was the rear bumper he removed to fit a tow bar.

It will fail the MOT even if the light is wedged tight, if it is the top mount which is broken then you could remove the cross bar between the front valance and the wing, glue it back together, preferably with a little bit of plastic glued underneath to strengthen it then that will do the job. I did that with my old Mk 1 Fabia after it was assaulted by a bird. I would have done it with the Yeti but for some reason it had a left hand drive headlamp unit in on the nearside so I had to replace it anyway as it failed the MOT on beam pattern as well as insecurity.

Ian

Thanks all.

Not sure which bracket is broken, would be nice if it was the top 1 as not looking forward to trying to remove the bumper.

Shame we have gone away from the haynes manuals as don't find these skoda exploded views very easy to work out what is where bolt wise.

3 hours ago, countryboy said:

It will fail the MOT even if the light is wedged tight

That may depend on the tester.  The MoT manual only requires that the headlight is "secure" and pointing in the right direction.  If it is "wedged tight" one could argue that it is secure, hence no reason for failure (assuming beam alignment is OK).

2 hours ago, weasley said:

That may depend on the tester.  The MoT manual only requires that the headlight is "secure" and pointing in the right direction.  If it is "wedged tight" one could argue that it is secure, hence no reason for failure (assuming beam alignment is OK).

But even in that case the mounting is still broken and therefore insecure. Using that logic you could say that it is fine if you splint it with a lolly stick and tape. If an MOT tester passed it in that condition then I would call their competence into question.

"Secure" is "secure" - the manual does not say how it must be secured and says nothing about mounts being broken.  In fact, given the amount of disassembly needed to get at the mounts, how will the tester even know a mount is broken?  Wiggle headlight, headlight doesn't move, that's a pass.  Testers are not allowed to disassemble stuff to see what's going on underneath - they assess what they can see.

I'm not saying it's right nor that I would bodge a car through the MoT, but at least be clear on the process.  The MoT manual is available for anybody to read.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/611019/mot-inspection-manual-classes-3-4-5-and-7.pdf