Just to add to my frustration at having my Octavia shipped off island to be fixed under warranty, my partner's Roomster has come out in sympathy and gone into limp home with the coil light flashing.

I'm intending to take it to the garage with me tomorrow to have it plugged in and hopefully it'll be the troublesome exhaust temp sensor but knowing my luck at the moment it'll be EGR or DPF.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have replaced the EGR valve assembly that wasn't exactly a quick job. I was aided by the fact that the flexible section of the exhaust has deteriorated and was able to come into two parts. However the exhaust is broken. It's the part that includes the cat and the DPF. I got it stuck together, it's quite secure with just it's fixings but I put some paste and a bandage around it to stop gases leaking.

And then to add to the whole saga, the Felicia's radiator burst as I was driving home with it. Cars eh!

Well I set to yesterday and gave the Roomster a full service and repaired the exhaust with a weld in flexy section. What a pain it was!

Replacement of that section for new would be a subframe out job I expect. I was quoted about £1400 retail price for the full section!

So all of you with 1.6TDis take heed! Expense lies in wait!