Inspection in XX days

Sounds like the countdown starts 30 days before the service is needed.

I've got 2700 miles before my oil/filter change is due but its booked in for a service on Thursday. I'm a big believer that in this throwaway society that the service intervals are designed to keep the car reliable for the warranty period, after that the manufacturer doesn't care. So if you want to keep your car beyond the warranty period I'd always advise servicing it quite a while before its due.

James

Edited by Superman001

I quite enjoyed my recent countdown, especially as I knew my Service was booked in 1 day before the countdown was complete. If having a reminder is stressful, maybe missing a service when it's due might be even more concerning.

Edited by Isocrem
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

With a 2 week plus lead time for dealer service slots/courtesy cars I think it's useful...

All the dealers are about 2 to 3 weeks but, I find my local service centre is usually same week, choice of days with courtesy car

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Isocrem said:

I quite enjoyed my recent countdown, especially as I knew my Service was booked in 1 day before the countdown was complete. If having a reminder is stressful, maybe missing a service when it's due might be even more concerning.

Its enough having all paper reminders in my home desc office, I dont want them in my car as well.

It would be more helpful if it was accurate. I've had an inspection reminder for the last week but the 2nd year service isn't due for another two months.

On 2017-6-6 at 18:07, toni8b said:

Its enough having all paper reminders in my home desc office, I dont want them in my car as well.

Drag yourself into the 21st century, paper reminders for servicing?

Bin them and use the dedicated reminder designed into the piece of equipment that requires servicing!

I have paper reminders for everything on my home desc (you know, doctors appointments, ebay / amazon etc... orders, general things and so on...). I thought everybody had those.

• Like 1

On 06/06/2017 at 20:22, Rodge said:

It would be more helpful if it was accurate. I've had an inspection reminder for the last week but the 2nd year service isn't due for another two months.

There could be a few reasons why this was so:

1. It could be because it is mileage or time based servicing - whichever comes first? i.e. Have you reached the mileage limit before the time interval? 

2. The algorithms used in service sensing can reduce the time interval too.

3. Were the service intervals set correctly after its first service?

13 hours ago, Black_Sheep said:

1. It could be because it is mileage or time based servicing - whichever comes first? i.e. Have you reached the mileage limit before the time interval?

It's done less than 4000 miles since the last service and only about 9000 miles in total.

2. The algorithms used in service sensing can reduce the time interval too.

The car is not driven hard and although the mileage is low, it's mostly on longer journeys. And wouldn't the engine sensors ask for an oil change rather than an inspection anyway?

3. Were the service intervals set correctly after its first service?

This seems the most likely, although the reminder for the first annual service was correct.