Steering wheel centring

blue_boy

Hi does any one know if possible to recentre the steering wheel on an S3 WITHOUT doing a full wheel alignment? Just that is what My Skoda service dealer is saying to me.  

I was thinking possible to unbolt form say below air bag unit and just realign that way. 

I believe my wheel aligned ok based on lack of uneven tyre wear.

thanks simon

Who is saying it the service desk staff or the Master Tech.

Ask if they are not capable of checking and adjusting the alignment and having the steering wheel on straight, 

and ask why it is not on straight now.

They will have to put your car to someone with all the gear and the idea, or you will.

How many miles has the car done and when did you get it?

PS

Just read the post you made August 2016, long time to put up with a squint steering wheel.

Someone is taking the mick with the 1.5 hours and £89.

1.5 Hours would be cheap @ £89, but then they are at it. 

Was the car not under warranty, and was the steering wheel wrong when you got the car, 

or was there a kerbing?

PPS,

I see you had the answer from Tech1e last year on how they should do it correctly.

Edited by Awayoffski

Thank you, for your full reply.

dont recall having got a clear answer last time.

car came day one with squiffy steering wheel and had planned for it to be done at first service but dealer ran out of time and forgot. Second time it was,booked,to be done I convinced them that actually service not required At 20k but 30k under variable. 

But now I could say why not under warranty but doubt they will accept it and lastly not paying 89 for wheel alignment when wheels I believe perfectly aligned and just steering wheel squiffy. Annoying but liveable , just.

thansk

simon

On 11/06/2017 at 20:04, Awayoffski said:

Who is saying it the service desk staff or the Master Tech.

Ask if they are not capable of checking and adjusting the alignment and having the steering wheel on straight, 

and ask why it is not on straight now.

They will have to put your car to someone with all the gear and the idea, or you will.

How many miles has the car done and when did you get it?

PS

Just read the post you made August 2016, long time to put up with a squint steering wheel.

Someone is taking the mick with the 1.5 hours and £89.

1.5 Hours would be cheap @ £89, but then they are at it. 

Was the car not under warranty, and was the steering wheel wrong when you got the car, 

or was there a kerbing?

PPS,

I see you had the answer from Tech1e last year on how they should do it correctly.

What part of this giberish is helping anyone??

Mileage is nothing to do with it,uneven roads and bumping up and down kerbs is..........

The question was can he adjust wheel position by disconecting the columb from the rack???

The answer is no the rack is attached via a spline which has one flat or an odd spline ,it only goes on one way...

A full wheel alignment can take upto an hour and when paying stealer rates can easily reach 100 pound...

My advice is to find yourself a non chain garage pref family owned for this type of job..

trackingg the wheel straight is a pain in the arse..

track test drive track test drive....

Good luck @blue_boy you should get it done for half that at most.....

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/408265-steering-wheel-centering-how-hard 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/418970-another-change-needed-18k-miles 

Mileage question because the OP posted a 10,000 mile reports on the car and a Master tech and others posted what needed doing and last year the Dealership did nothing.

& the miles go on and the car is the same....

The question is to know how long this was like this, from the Factory and the PDI?

Or after a kerbing.

usedandabused, 

i have read your advice on damaged tyres,

you could be a danger to man and beast i think, are a a Qualified Mechanic, Tech, Fitter or just an experienced one

from Bodgeit Kerbside Autos ?

If a car is under warranty and there are snagging faults and people paid good money for the car to be set up right they should not need to go splashing out their own pocket to some cheap establishment not taking VAT etc, 

if they have a wee accident then yes they should pay for fixing, if their fault. IMO

(If a new car or even a used and abused ex demonstrator / management car get the report in ASAP, and before 6 months, and do not wait until a Service is being done.)

Edited by Awayoffski

You could take the steering wheel off the column and move it a spline, but I personally would get it adjusted at the track rod ends (full wheel alignment) 

i doubt it it would have left the factory wrong, but the tracking may have been knocked out of line anywhere on route to the dealer. 

• 1 month later...