oil

oil filter

air filter

fuel filter

using genuine parts

£190

i remembered i have oil spare in the shed and to not include air filter

£143

(that values the oil and air filter at £53)

I got a QH air filter for £7 (discount to taxi trade down from £11)

I remember there are 2 different fuel filters but ive lost the notes

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lichfielddriver said:

simply a statement

but, does the price seem excessive?

thanks

Well oil ain't cheap and you can't compare your QH filter cost with the OEM item in your original quote.

And your price difference is 47 not 53

I'll remember to check my change if I ever use your taxi.  Incase you give me too much.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gdcobra said:

Well oil ain't cheap and you can't compare your QH filter cost with the OEM item in your original quote.

And your price difference is 47 not 53

I'll remember to check my change if I ever use your taxi.  Incase you give me too much.

Skoda (VAG) like all other manufacturers buy in filters and rebox them and add 100% to the price

Who makes the filters? Not VAG

Keep the extra coin if I give you any

Ill get prices for "genuine" Skoda Fuel and Oil filters, it sounds like the garage want £125 for the labour (maybe nore)

Ive changed fuel filters on Mondeo 130ps Tdci several times, cant be rocket science

Edited by lichfielddriver

48 minutes ago, lichfielddriver said:

simply a statement

but, does the price seem excessive?

thanks

If some people are selling oil at main dealer or retail price to customers that's what you pay. Mark up even on parts obviously. Buy at trade sell at retail, get labour costs and also parts towards the garage profit. However it is a business to make money. 

3 minutes ago, lichfielddriver said:

Skoda (VAG) like all other manufacturers buy in filters and rebox them and add 100% to the price

Ill get prices for "genuine" Skoda Fuel and Oil filters, it sounds like the garage want £125 for the labour (maybe nore)

Ive changed fuel filters on Mondeo 130ps Tdci several times, cant be rocket science

Ever since my Indy was charging silly money for 4.5 litres of oil back 15 years ago. I have always supplied my own oil. It's £20 for 5lt of quantum vs £45 people like to charge. 

26 minutes ago, lichfielddriver said:

I'm not questioning whether the QH parts and the Skoda parts come out of the same factory but if your asking your garage to quote genuine parts then it's only fair to compare rheir quote with these prices. Would you be happy if they quoted for genuine parts then fitted QH or something similar.?

Just supply all the parts and get them to supply the labour then you know exactly what you are paying. Bear in mind they could refuse if the parts are not of "adequate" quality, it is their reputation after all if something goes tits up.

Better still if you really don't trust them find someone you do or get your spanners out.

my last service 120000 miles main dealer

oil £25.32

oil filter £8.07

screw £2.62

fuel filter £25.65

air filter £17.16

total for service £192.83

6 hours ago, lichfielddriver said:

I tried the 20lt keg of quantum long life 3 oil. Got very messy decanting the oil into 5lt containers to send in to the dealers with a service. 

Get yourself a TPS account or get the parts as another post said and pay for labour. I am paying £58 for labour on every service at Skoda. Any manor of parts as well as oil and filter supplied. Given all my parts are genuine they have no issues 

If a Main Dealership workshop technician is 'sucking out the oil', they should still be changing the sump plug, 

and as for charging for parts not used, then VAT would also be getting charged and that is 'fraud'. deception, illegal.

Drain off or suction off engine oil.doc

What does a Taxi, Mini-Cab, Airport Transport, UBER Driver need ?, 

Clothes / shoes, a Car, Fuel.

Obviously Insurance, car maintenance etc. A licence / permit, but then plenty do not have that.

Unbelievable how some think Maintenance and Servicing is just a PITA and something that they do not have 

all sorted out as a regular thing with 'Trusted professionals' that give value for money in Labour & the supply of parts.

Mechanics do their job and Taxi driver earns money getting on with theirs.

Edited by Awayoffski

I was a partsman for a major HGV company and i used to buy oil in 45 gallon drums and filters by the 100, in my spare time id track down special parts like the air suspension pivot bolts for SAF air suspension, aircraft quality... £45 from SAF, £12 from a local supplier.......

3 hours ago, lichfielddriver said:

Either Skoda are greedy or trade discounts far exceed the 15-25% I used to give (33% on Rubberlite products)

You are a retail customer; retail customers will always get worse than trade. It's not rocket science! Dealers are in the business of selling services rather than parts tbf, they are out to make money for their shareholders as every business is. 

I'm with @Awayoffski on this one. 

Just do the £139 service, get them to change the fuel filter and then do the easy air and pollen filter yourself. Then add notes to the back of the service book. Or take it to an indy you trust. The amount of time you'll expend trying to save a few £'s will be blown out of the water by your 'hourly'rate. I know I value my time much higher than paying a dealer or garage to do the more difficult things. 

You are making this far more complicated than it needs to be!

Mann air filter on ECP £12.99 (wait for a weekend sale!)

Mann oil filter on ECP £8.99

Mann fuel filter on ECP £25.49 (so not much less than the VW one!)

Mann pollen filter on ECP £9.99

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nathanio said:

You are a retail customer; retail customers will always get worse than trade. It's not rocket science! Dealers are in the business of selling services rather than parts tbf, they are out to make money for their shareholders as every business is. 

I'm with @Awayoffski on this one. 

Just do the £139 service, get them to change the fuel filter and then do the easy air and pollen filter yourself. Then add notes to the back of the service book. Or take it to an indy you trust. The amount of time you'll expend trying to save a few £'s will be blown out of the water by your 'hourly'rate. I know I value my time much higher than paying a dealer or garage to do the more difficult things. 

You are making this far more complicated than it needs to be!

Mann air filter on ECP £12.99 (wait for a weekend sale!)

Mann oil filter on ECP £8.99

Mann fuel filter on ECP £25.49 (so not much less than the VW one!)

Mann pollen filter on ECP £9.99

This is exactly my kind of thinking and I practise all of the above except I give all the parts required to the dealer. I decide when stuff needs changing, which is over and above what the handbook says .

A colleague at work has just had his 2014 Passat 2.0 TDI serviced (80k miles).

1st MOT                                    £40

Labour:

4th longlife service                     £173.21

New brake pads/discs allround    £170

Renew lower arm bushes            £253.33

New windscreen                         £30

Labour

Filter element                            £8.07

Screw                                       £2.62

Pollen filter                                £11.05

Cleaner                                     £2.06

Brake disc (2 off)                       £99.04

Brake lining                               £41.90

Brake disc (2 off)                       £67.10

Brake lining                               £28.32

Bracket                                     £112.80

3 new tyres                               £299.34

Longlife oil                                £43

Windscreen                               £?

Explain my 1st service at 14,000 miles, just oil and oil filter £160 inc vat and ill rest easy

and that was after arguing with Skoda i wanted it doing........my car my rules

as for my time, its best spent earning but if not then saving

a penny saved is a penny earned

Ive got enough in my paypal (sold a lens) to cover everything so happy days