2 lumps on the steering wheel.

8 minutes ago, JoePeddos said:

My cars steering wheel has a semicircular bump at 10 and 2 o'clock not sure why they are there Joe

The supposed correct hold on your steering whell is to have your hands at the "10 to 2" position, (think of a clock face). The 'bumps' are hand/thumb holds. 

However, 10 to 2 positioning is under lots of discussion, with some suggesting "Quarter to Three" is better. 

31 minutes ago, alltorque said:

The supposed correct hold on your steering whell is to have your hands at the "10 to 2" position, (think of a clock face). The 'bumps' are hand/thumb holds. 

However, 10 to 2 positioning is under lots of discussion, with some suggesting "Quarter to Three" is better. 

Hi Alltorque I have read that "Quarter to Three" (which I normally use) is a safer position to use in case the airbags go off and not to hold the bottom of the steering wheel for the same reason. Viewing a YouTube video about reverseing into a parking space the bumps can show you that the wheel is centered and you are reversing in a straight line. Joe

Roadcraft doesn't seem rate one over the other -- it just says between 10/2 and 9/3, depending on the indentation of the wheel. I'd add to that whatever you find most comfortable and easy to control.

The on-wheel thumb controls would appear to encourage the lower end of the range.

I'm not a big fan of the indentations as they tend to invite my thumbs through the wheel. It's been said doing this carries a risk of thumb breakage if the car goes over a bump big enough to swing the wheel violently. I don't know whether the steering column has any device to mitigate this.

Edited by ettlz

I always hold the steering wheel "10 to 2" as it was the correct way, the only way and I still 'feed' the wheel through my hands when turning while largely still hold the "10 to 2" position. This I was taught by my driving instructor way back in the early 1960's.

It's served me well over the last 45 years but I'm sure there are more advanced techniques these days far too late for me to adapt.:blush:.

I think the favoured position with modern driving is right hand at 4.30,elbow on window plastic and left hand free to do whatever you fancy.

I'm a ten to two man myself.:)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, RickW said:

I think the favoured position with modern driving is right hand at 4.30,elbow on window plastic and left hand free to do whatever you fancy.

From what I've seen, it usually involves a smart-phone of some variety. :@ 

I believe the inevitable messes are euphemised as 'distraction-induced RTCs'.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ettlz said:

Times have indeed changed "distraction -induced RTC's" usually involved something akin to a mini skirt in my day. :sweat:

Edited by horkin

21 hours ago, ettlz said:

Forget the smartphone, it's the "big built-in touch screen" that modern cars are encumbered with......... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old newbie2 said:

Forget the smartphone, it's the "big built-in touch screen" that modern cars are encumbered with......... 

I have to agree that the infotaiment system can be a big distraction,particularly on a busy motorway,especially when Android Auto crashes!.

• Like 1