Engine sensor - overheating

I have a 63 plate Octavia and twice now after 15 minutes of driving the warning light has appeared saying to stop the car due to overheating. As quick as it comes on the temperature needle returns to normal and all is fine. The coolant level is within the required range. Can anyone advise of any sensors that need checking/ replacing. Thanks

If you have a diesel, there is a common fault with a water pump which can block the coolant flow resulting in the warning you have seen.

Your dealer should knowabout it & theres already a new part to replace it.

As your car is out of warrenty, its not such a cheap replacement but some others on the forum have been succesful in getting Skoda to contribute to part of the cost of repacement.

• Like 1

It might be worth getting a new timing belt at the same time, because it all has to come off.

Related question:

I've not seen this error in my car yet, but my timing belt is due next year (5 years replacement interval). If I go to the dealer for a timing belt + water pump replacement. I will get the new problem-free water pump, right?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gabbo said:

If you have a diesel, there is a common fault with a water pump which can block the coolant flow resulting in the warning you have seen.

Your dealer should knowabout it & theres already a new part to replace it.

As your car is out of warrenty, its not such a cheap replacement but some others on the forum have been succesful in getting Skoda to contribute to part of the cost of repacement.

Gabbo, thanks. I bought it used from a skoda dealer with 12 month warranty so hopefully they might honour it???

As above most forum members have had this changed under warranty & some where the warranty had already finish have had a contribution towards the cost.

All should be good if you have an approved used warranty.

I'm not sure if it's standard procedure during the change but might be worth to ask for the timing belt change as well.

I'm sure it would be "recommended" if you were paying yourself ;)

11 hours ago, wyx087 said:

It might be worth getting a new timing belt at the same time, because it all has to come off.

Related question:

I've not seen this error in my car yet, but my timing belt is due next year (5 years replacement interval). If I go to the dealer for a timing belt + water pump replacement. I will get the new problem-free water pump, right?

Best to check with the dealer for sure but I believe the new pump has a metal sleeve instead of a plastic one which causes the early failure..